986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   squeak/creak from behind passenger seat? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/7224-squeak-creak-behind-passenger-seat.html)

pbadss 08-29-2006 12:42 PM

squeak/creak from behind passenger seat?

I have 987 boxster that emits a squeaking/creaking sound from behind the passenger seat when the top is up and I'm making turns at low speeds. I haven't been able to isolate the area, but it sounds like it's coming from either the convertible top or trunk area.

Has anybody had a similar experience? I'm curious if it's something I can take care of, or if it needs to head back to the dealer.

bmussatti 08-29-2006 01:03 PM

Sorry I can't help you. But, please report back to the Forum, after you have visited the dealer, and this gets resolved. I wonder if the roll-bar could be loose.

SD987 08-29-2006 02:11 PM

Both 987s I've owned make a noise (since new), but it's more of a metallic rattle and it's only when making sharp lefts at low speed. I've only noticed it when driving in multi-level parking garages.

I wouldn't sweat it, the 987 base had 21K when I let it go, and it was never an "issue".

rickhuizinga 08-30-2006 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbadss
I have 987 boxster that emits a squeaking/creaking sound from behind the passenger seat when the top is up and I'm making turns at low speeds. I haven't been able to isolate the area, but it sounds like it's coming from either the convertible top or trunk area.

Has anybody had a similar experience? I'm curious if it's something I can take care of, or if it needs to head back to the dealer.

I have the exact same problem, but I can't find the source. I know that it started immediately after having my car serviced at the dealer to fix a broken cord in the convertible top (the one that keeps the top neatly folded). It sounds like its coming from behind the passenger seat, near the top so maybe it is related to theconvertible top.?.?.?

Rick

longislander1 08-30-2006 06:13 PM

Make sure your seat backs aren't rubbing against the roll bars. If you adjust the angle too far back, the leather will rub against the bar and you'll hear some strange sounds. It's a design defect IMHO.

Sammy 08-31-2006 05:56 AM

I second what longislander1 said...

I sincerely hope it is simply what longislander1 stated. It happened to me and I felt pretty stupid, but at the same time the fix was cheap! :)

1JB 09-01-2006 05:30 AM

I posted a description of a sound that appears to be similar to yours in my 987. It sounded as though it was immediately behind the head rest with the top up but with the top down I concluded it was the left rear suspension area. It turned out to be the right rear strut. Porsche dealer also replaces a couple of other parts in the suspension first but I can't recall the exact names. The chirping sound went away with the strut replacement. It would do so with the slightest ripple in the road at times but could not be duplicated by pushing the rear of the car up and down. The dealer could isolate it to the area of the suspension using some sort of diagnostic listening device but not the specific component. Do a search for "chirping sound" and I think you will find my post. It may have the additional part information. If the car is under warranty it should be fixed. It drove me nuts.