986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Security System triggeres randonly- can it be disabled? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/72163-security-system-triggeres-randonly-can-disabled.html)

lurky 05-13-2018 09:17 AM

Security System triggeres randonly- can it be disabled?

hi I have a 2007 base boxster.
Over the years I have noticed that the alarm (siren and blinking lights) seems to trigger randomly, but infrequently.. it happened about once per year. but since I un-garaged the car this year, it has happened twice (in my own garage) in as many weeks so I need to address it. The simplest solution would be to completely disable the security system... does anyone know how to do so?
thanks

Cunningr 05-13-2018 10:31 AM

Do you have an aftermarket stereo head unit? If so could be the alarm wire wasn’t taped up and grounding out.

JFP in PA 05-13-2018 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lurky (Post 570243)
hi I have a 2007 base boxster.
Over the years I have noticed that the alarm (siren and blinking lights) seems to trigger randomly, but infrequently.. it happened about once per year. but since I un-garaged the car this year, it has happened twice (in my own garage) in as many weeks so I need to address it. The simplest solution would be to completely disable the security system... does anyone know how to do so?
thanks

Quite often, random and infrequent alarms are caused by flying insects getting into the car and tripping the motion sensors when parked.

lurky 05-15-2018 03:51 PM

Thanks... I don't have an aftermarket stereo... and if bugs are setting off the alarm, I can't address that...
I am worried that if the alarm goes off when I am at work I may return to find a dead battery, and I am not at all worried that my car will be stolen because I only park in secure garages.. so does any one know if it is possible to completely disable the security system ? Perhaps by pulling a fuse?

Anker 05-15-2018 04:18 PM

Up at the top of the wind shield, close to the top latch are two oval plastic windows. They cover the motion detectors. You can pop them out and stuff tissue to under them to block the IR motion detectors vision. Give that a try.

mikefocke 05-15-2018 04:45 PM

No chance the alarm button on a key fob happened to get pressed accidentally?

I walked into a conference room at work for a meeting with an important customer. I sat down. Just then a car alarm went off from behind my head. I looked out the window and it was my car. Somehow the key fob in my pocket got pressed. I figured it out quickly and the meeting went on.

It can happen.

I've also heard of such being triggered by passing cars, neighbors electronics, etc.

aczyzewski 05-15-2018 08:33 PM

Same problem. I disconnected the alarm horn in mine. Still have some measure of security.

thstone 05-15-2018 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lurky (Post 570442)
... so does any one know if it is possible to completely disable the security system ? Perhaps by pulling a fuse?

I am not aware of any way to disable the entire security system.

If you remember, the transponder in the key fob, the immobilizer under the driver's seat, and the ECU/DME all have to communicate to enable the car to start. If you removed power to the immobilizer, then the ECU won't allow the car to start (which makes sense because then a car thief could defeat the wireless transponder portion of the security system by simply removing a fuse).

lurky 05-16-2018 01:45 PM

Thanks! Ill try to defeat the interior motions sensors, and also disconnect the alarm horn, anyone know where to find that horn?

aczyzewski 05-16-2018 09:18 PM

front trunk, remove the plastic battery cover. The horn is to the right of the battery

mgfranz 03-29-2020 08:39 AM

New post, old thread. My alarm goes off every time a firetruck goes by my complex, which is often since the fire station is right around the corner. I believe this is happening by either vibrations from the street or from the siren itself.

Has anyone found a way to disable the alarm completely through the OBDII?

JFP in PA 03-29-2020 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgfranz (Post 614461)
New post, old thread. My alarm goes off every time a firetruck goes by my complex, which is often since the fire station is right around the corner. I believe this is happening by either vibrations from the street or from the siren itself.

Has anyone found a way to disable the alarm completely through the OBDII?

No........

JFP in PA 03-29-2020 12:09 PM

mgfranz 03-29-2020 12:15 PM

On my Audi I can adjust the sensitivity of the sensors, you would think that there would be a way to do the same on a 986.

JFP in PA 03-30-2020 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgfranz (Post 614476)
On my Audi I can adjust the sensitivity of the sensors, you would think that there would be a way to do the same on a 986.

No...……………...

maytag 03-30-2020 08:19 AM

oddly, mine went off TWICE this weekend, for no apparent reason. First time it's ever gone off at all, even when I was TRYING to set it off....
????

78F350 03-30-2020 08:25 AM

I think the alarm is only active if you lock your car. Don't lock your car. ;)

Tinkerer 05-31-2021 10:38 PM

https://www.douglasvalley.co.uk/imag...x_IMG_8405.JPG

I also like to disable the Siren on my 986 2.5. I have located the siren but just wondering if there are any procedures for removing it? If I just disconnect it will the siren go off will the battery die?