Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2018, 07:28 AM   #1

1999 2.5l removal & replace

Two point 5 questions:

1. I've seen a lot of different numbers but what is the actual height off the ground do I have to get the car to drop and ultimately replace my 2.5L motor?

2. Can the IMS be removed and replaced for inspection? (a) I want to see if the one installed on the engine 10K miles ago is good and (b) if the one in the engine I am replacing it with is good. If I can remove and reinstall it, what would I look for?

2.5 Does anyone have an IMS tool they are willing to loan (ship) so I can do the above process?

Thanks

Old 05-10-2018, 07:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flouese View Post
Two point 5 questions:

1. I've seen a lot of different numbers but what is the actual height off the ground do I have to get the car to drop and ultimately replace my 2.5L motor?

2. Can the IMS be removed and replaced for inspection? (a) I want to see if the one installed on the engine 10K miles ago is good and (b) if the one in the engine I am replacing it with is good. If I can remove and reinstall it, what would I look for?

2.5 Does anyone have an IMS tool they are willing to loan (ship) so I can do the above process?

Thanks
1. 24 inches would be useful.

2. No, removing the IMS bearing kills it, it cannot be reinstalled.

3. No.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:17 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

I walked out and measured, the engine itself is 23" tall when sitting on the sump. Remember to include additional room for anything under the engine (like a furniture dolly so you can roll it out from under the car).

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:45 PM   #4

As for question #2, you can identify and inspect the bearing by removing the IMS flange (don’t forget to lock the timing and remove the chain tensioners) but, like JFP says, once the bearing is pulled it cannot be pressed back in. It should be pointed out though that once you have removed the IMS flange it would only take an additional 30 min to install a fresh bearing.
roundel325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:01 AM   #5

Thanks for the responses. I guess this weekend I will attempt into this project. Anyone in N. FL want to assist??? All the beer and pizza...
Old 11-21-2018, 09:39 AM   #6
Will there be cake?

Garage
quick question
how do you get the car off the ground 26 or 27 inches without a true lift, my jackstands are only 16.5 inches and shopping for taller ones seems that 2 pairs are the price of a lift!
suggestions out there?
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:12 AM   #7
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Did your '99 have an IMS failure?
The '99 has the dual row IMS which isn't prone to the high failure rate that began in '00.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:06 AM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
quick question
how do you get the car off the ground 26 or 27 inches without a true lift, my jackstands are only 16.5 inches and shopping for taller ones seems that 2 pairs are the price of a lift!
suggestions out there?
I have four of these. 52" jack stands. 2500 lb rating. Four will run $309 so they are reasonably affordable. They work great. I use a block of 2x4 wood between the jackstand and the car if I am lifting directly.

Amazon Ridgid 58 Inch Jackstand

If you want something more stout: 46" jack stands. 10 ton rating. Two sets will run $400. Still reasonably priced.

Amazon Sunex 46 Inch Jackstand
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:50 PM   #9

My 2 cents........you will have to look for something that will stroke more than the lift height you need or get the car up such that you can jack from a riser that can be increased in height as the car is elevated. Not easy as one would have to get the jack up on the riser every time for the rear where the engine is.

My low profile jack only gives me a max of 24" so I don't engage in engine removal operations. It is too long and heavy to get up on to a riser.

I have definitely seen folks with engine out on the floor.....on stands. You might want research and contact for information on the equipment used. Would sliming down your engine removal skid give you more clearance?