Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2018, 07:17 PM   #1
Custom User Title Here

Garage
This may be tacky...

Note: I have no intention of keep this, just a concept.

Just screwing around with some EL wire. This type has a lip/flange which makes it super easy to tuck in between panels and get perfect curves/straight lines.
I don't plan on keeping it in. For now, I'm just playing with it. In person, it's not obtrusive and has a nice, soft glow.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Neon-LED-Light-Car-Glow-EL-Wire-String-Strip-Rope-Tube-Dance-Party-Controller/191989305420?

Last edited by particlewave; 05-09-2018 at 09:00 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:04 PM   #2

What are we looking at?
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:11 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
My interior...
Old 05-09-2018, 08:15 PM   #4

Ha, I also tried that a while ago (also did it around the centre console horse-shoe), and decided yeah it didn't really go with the 20 year old interior... may look ok in a new Audi or something. Not got round to it yet, but was thinking instead of mounting it out of sight in the footwells/under seats instead for subtle glow at night instead of the Tron effect.
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:23 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool73 View Post
Ha, I also tried that a while ago (also did it around the centre console horse-shoe), and decided yeah it didn't really go with the 20 year old interior... may look ok in a new Audi or something. Not got round to it yet, but was thinking instead of mounting it out of sight in the footwells/under seats instead for subtle glow at night instead of the Tron effect.
That's exactly why I got it: footwell lights.
Then I started playing with it and things got out of hand.

I do like it on the shifter...

The solid colors (red, blue, yellow, green) would make nice color matched piping accents in their off states (not illuminated) for owners with cars that are those exterior colors.

Last edited by particlewave; 05-09-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:31 PM   #6

I agree with oldschool, doesnt really work with the old interior in the tron format. I like the idea of the low key glow though.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:36 PM   #7

Yeah, that could actually be cool if done right. I do like the shifter. Footwell accents would be great. Maybe amber or red. How do they illuminate?
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:48 PM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Yeah, that could actually be cool if done right. I do like the shifter. Footwell accents would be great. Maybe amber or red. How do they illuminate?
It's electro-luminescent wire. Uses a 12 volt powered high voltage transformer (very low power consumption). Those in my picture are just temporarily powered by a battery for the picture.

I think I'll keep the shifter for now. I'll pull the dash and console strips out and add a strip in each footwell. The shifter will be wired into the dash light circuit so it's on with the headlights. The footwell will probably just tap into the dome light so they're not on unless the door is open or dome light switch is on (this is how my current footwell lights are wired, but I don't like them...too bright).

They really are a sight to behold in person. The glow is mesmerizing.

Last edited by particlewave; 05-09-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:48 AM   #9

Can you match the rest of the dash light color for the shifter? Maybe that is your color already but I am the standard red orange color, been trying to decipher the rgb color code to get a better match on my HU. Endless possibilities though, a white color to match LED conversion in foot well brighter when doors are open ect..., another with a dim glow the color to match dash lights turned on with the dash lights. Not too much, just a careful touch here or there.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:22 AM   #10

Garage
Just when I think I haver taken my car as far as it can go with mods...
Old 05-10-2018, 04:58 AM   #11

Must wear this to drive the car...

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:33 AM   #12
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Hahaha, where did you get that picture of me?

I had those in my case mod (PC) 15 years ago...a nice subtle light source. But those converters make a nasty high frequency sound. Impossible to hear in a car, but still. Not sure, if they still do.
I would try not to have them right in your eyes, they should be e.g. behind the front trims (not an easy task, but who doesn't like a nice challenge?) to create that ambient light we see in nowadays cars.
Less is more (who am I to say that), but I am sure it will work in our Boxsters, too.
My choice would be amber and maybe within the center vents.

Not sure if they are bright enough to lighten up the footwell.

Last edited by BRAN; 05-10-2018 at 06:36 AM.
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:18 AM   #13
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Had this hardwired in. I put one piece under each of the footwells, and just in front of each seat. Works, and looks, great.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SURLIGHT-CAR-ATMOSPHERE-STRIP-LIGHTS-LED-MUSIC-12V-MULTICOLOR-4-PIECE-W-REMOTE/372285941047?hash=item56adf8a537:g:qhIAAOSwAHtZ7PH a:sc:USPSFirstClass!92262!US!-1
Old 05-10-2018, 08:38 AM   #14
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
But those converters make a nasty high frequency sound. Impossible to hear in a car, but still. Not sure, if they still do.
They do. Wrap the inverter in high density foam.

Not sure if they are bright enough to lighten up the footwell.
I played with it some more last night...with the dome light on, they are not bright enough. However, I don't want the footwell lights bright enough to see with.
After some messing around, I've wired them in with the shifter so they come on with headlights. Gives a nice, very soft ambient glow for night driving.
The original footwell LEDs are back in as well, but with a resistor to dim them down a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
Must wear this to drive the car...
I'm on it!
Old 05-10-2018, 08:43 AM   #15
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Can you match the rest of the dash light color for the shifter? Maybe that is your color already but I am the standard red orange color, been trying to decipher the rgb color code to get a better match on my HU. Endless possibilities though, a white color to match LED conversion in foot well brighter when doors are open ect..., another with a dim glow the color to match dash lights turned on with the dash lights. Not too much, just a careful touch here or there.
My dash and switch lighting is blue, though a darker blue than this. The closest I could get my HU to the dash lights was this electric blue, though, so the shifter matches it. The two blues work well together, though I'd like to switch my dash lights out to better match. It's always bugged me that the dash/cluster/climate control doesn't match the HU backlight. That, and I'm just tiring of the dark blue.

Last edited by particlewave; 05-10-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:25 AM   #16
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I'm just tiring of the dark blue.

I'll never get tired of the dark blue
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:08 AM   #17
MWS

This type (or similar effect) lighting is being used in more and more cars. Personally (and not a judgement, just an observation) it reminds me of a gentlemens club. For the younger audience, replace "gentlemans" with "strip"...and be sure to have plenty of Washingtons handy, or as Porsche people, should those be Jacksons (TBD Tubmans)? Actually thinking of Harriet Tubman and a strip club is just plain wrong...but made me chuckle.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:00 PM   #18
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
I'll never get tired of the dark blue
Maybe "tiring" wasn't the best word. It's definitely 10x better than amber, but I wouldn't mind a change. It's a lot of soldering, though, so I don't know if I'll actually get around to it.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:21 PM   #19

Where is Quadcammer when we need him..................
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:00 AM   #20

Like it or not, I'm just amazed what you guys can do. Really impressive stuff.

DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote