Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2004, 09:08 PM   #1

Boxsters a "chick" car??

So not one but two of my buddies offered the POV that the Boxster is a "chick car." They did not mean attactive to chicks... rather designed to be driven by them. "Real men drive 911s" sort of thinking if you follow me.

Well, I got 5 kids and nothing to prove so I am sticking with what I like but I must say I was surprised by the perception.

Anyone else run into this??

Vicelike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 09:27 PM   #2
Watch Freak

May I ask what these friends drive?
2006 BMW 750i 19" Sport Wheels BK/BK-Daily
2005 Lotus Elise Sport & Touring Package-Fun
2001 Lexus RX300-Back-up Winter Beater
2001 Mercedes-Benz S500 Sport AMG-Sold
2000 Boxster S Heavily Modified-Sold
2000 Nissan Altima GLE-Parking Spot Holder
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Stryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 04:06 AM   #3

Good question.... one is a car nut... has a BMW m5, a Posche 911 gt3 and a new Vette.

The other guy drives a Mercedes E 55AMG.

Last edited by Vicelike; 01-28-2004 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:32 AM   #4

Well personally I would suggest doing the Twin Turbo Mod and putting all of them in their place when you tear the crap out of them Thats why I am working on trying to get my 986 up to 475 HP.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:09 AM   #5
Watch Freak

Tell your friends that you'll gladly sell your skirt and put up the proceeds towards a 911 and they can simply add the difference!
2006 BMW 750i 19" Sport Wheels BK/BK-Daily
2005 Lotus Elise Sport & Touring Package-Fun
2001 Lexus RX300-Back-up Winter Beater
2001 Mercedes-Benz S500 Sport AMG-Sold
2000 Boxster S Heavily Modified-Sold
2000 Nissan Altima GLE-Parking Spot Holder
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Stryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 07:18 AM   #6

Hehe...
Thats another good idea
Old 01-28-2004, 02:11 PM   #7

Funny stuff
Old 01-31-2004, 07:36 AM   #8

I think it's funny when "vette" guys call the boxster a hairdressers car. When I ask them for a reason, they don't reply and just change the topic. Some of those guys are just plain ignorant and closed minded. Some think that any car that doesn't have a fixed roof is a chick car. Probabbly another reason they think this is because the boxster isn't a (big V8 with lots of muscle). Funny thing is, at the vette club I go to every month, half of the drivers are women! Usually the flack boxster guys get is from the domestic V8 crowd. I think they are just mad because they have to look at the cavelier like interior everyday with lots of cheap plastic.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 03:16 PM   #9

I have both a Boxster and a Pontiac Firebird (V8 350). Quite frankly, they are two different beasts. The American muscle car is all about raw power. Harsh off the line and slams your head back. A lot of torque in that huge V8.

The Boxster is like power with finesse. A refined power that doesn't waste power spinning the tires. I get up to speed just as quick and much more nimble in the Boxster.

I definately think that the convertible makes the muscle car crowd think that it is a woman's car. And that V8 engine makes the exotic car crowd think that its making up male pattern baldness and for a small .... appendage.

I say we get together and make fun of the guy in a Dodge Neon with the bolt on funny car spoiler and a radio system that treatens to shake all the panels off of the car.

(And if you have that Neon... Sorry... not for the comment, just the car)
Old 02-01-2004, 02:43 AM   #10

Definitely not a chick's car. Your friends have no idea what they are talking about. Although chicks in Boxsters definitely are always welcome!

I mostly see men driving Boxsters, and some women.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 07:53 AM   #11
Forum Contributor

I don't see how a convertible top makes a car a chick car. Many great sports cars have been topless. The 427 Shelby AC Cobra is surely not a chick car, the convertible Beetle could be be one.

I drive a Z06 now and love the raw power of the 440 ponies, but I respect most all cars for what they are. I am still working on buying that guy's twin turbo but the miles are worrying me.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 05:47 PM   #12

Thats the thing Poloman, it does not make sense. People from the "convertibles are girly" school of thought are just plain dumb. The new 500hp viper can only be bought as a drop top and that car is hardly girly! The cobra is another excellent example.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 09:32 PM   #13

One of the draws of motorcycle riding is the " open air " experience with nature and the road. That is why we call auto drivers "cagers" .... better to be in an open cage than a closed one. From this point of view, the idea that convertables are feminine ( not that there is anything wrong with that!!) does not hold up.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:03 AM   #14

This is an old post but it caught my attention. I agree with Vicelike. I'm into custom harley's. Big bored out motors, apehangers, high lift cams and all. I can outrun just about any production car in the stoplight races, but its really about the open air experience and being part of the environment not insulated inside a can or cage. Its freedom. Vicelike knows. Its that deserted, twisty country road early on a Sunday morning with the sun shining, the wind in your face and time on your side.

Chick car? I never heard that about any Porsche. I've heard other characterizations. Maybe a 6 cylinder convertible Mustang with slush drive or a VW cabriolet, or one of them convertible Chryslers is favored by women. Basically any convertible designed with form over function in mind. Oops! My apologies to women out there. I know there are plenty out there who can outdrive and outride me. Well, ok maybe two or three. LOL I'm joking!! Not really...

I do notice that this forum is predominantly male. Does that reflect the Boxster ownership profile?

And what is this talk about Boxster not being a real Porsche's? So there exists some sort of Porsche Aristocracy? Well, I'd rather be part of the Boxster riff raff. And I have loved the 911 series since I was a teen way back in the last century.

Its funny how people need a social pecking order. Like harley guys who don't wave at metric riders, or the custom guys who are too bad ass to acknowledge anyone, or the oldtimers versus the newbies. Some of these folks couldn't tell the difference between a camshaft and a crankshaft.

Sorry for the ramblings....
Old 01-07-2006, 05:51 PM   #15

Wild

I must agree most who comment really don't understand the difference in automobiles. Having 2 muscle cars and then getting the boxster I have had a few knuckleheads (friends) ask if its for my wife. I love the suspension and engineering that has gone into the boxster. I realize my other cars are 34 + years old but also have have driven new vettes and bmw's. The boxster is a true sports car and falls into that relm.
1995 Honda Civic *Track Toy*
1971 Olds Cutlass Convertible
1968 Camaro SS 396 4 speed
2000 V Star 1100
BadBoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 07:31 PM   #16

BBS- A '68 Chevy 396 is definitely a classy ride. I'm jealous. The muscle car is lots of fun. They say power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. I had an '87 mustang GT which was too tempting and always got me into trouble.

But you're right. Every machine has its niche.

One of my most memorable cars was my first. A '60 VW bug. My dad had an auto repair shop and one of his customers gave him the car in '70. It had been T boned and the engine was tired. I started out intending to chop it into a dune buggy with a Porsche engine. Lacking funds, I ended up straightening out the body with the help of about 100 pounds of bondo. I built up a VW motor for it but sold it for some cash and had to build up a second one. I forget the displacement but remember it had a whopping 36bhp!!! They were air cooled flat fours with push rods back then. I think I was around 14 and it was just the coolest thing to have my own wheels.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:06 PM   #17

Have your friends follow (as that's all they can do) you through the mountains and they will learn what kind of car the Boxster is.

We take mountain runs and the Ferraris, BMWs, Vettes, etc. can't keep up with the Boxsters. 911s do much better, but still can't hold the corners as well. Other Porsches are the only ones that can keep up.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 10:16 PM   #18

Hi,

Absolutely the Black Ninja Stupidest post I have seen on this forum. Can't believe I have even contributed to it...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 11:33 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
It can be ended by saying, "Well if its a girl car then why arent you driving one?". Most people dont respect cars and run off stupidy rather then knowledge.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:21 AM   #20

Yeah, my wife loves the Boxster. She thinks it looks better than the 911. My wife is gorgeous. Maybe they meant "chick magnet" car rather than just "chick" car.

faterikcartman is offline   Reply With Quote