Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2018, 03:09 PM   #1

Hidden brake fluid leak

Hi everyone, I’m a long time lurker but infrequent poster, looking for some help identifying possible causes of a brake fluid leak.

Mine is a 2003 S, RHD UK, which for one reason or another hasn’t been in use much for the past four years that I’ve owned it.
I’ve now started using it more recently, and two weeks ago had a low brake fluid warning, so topped the fluid up.
Next day, same warning, and a small stain of fluid on the floor, below front centre of car, but no sign of leaks at the wheels, callipers, or any visible pipes. I topped it up again to monitor, and it leaked overnight again (it doesn’t go to empty, but to just below minimum on the reservoir).

After topping up fluid there was plenty of pressure in the system when driving.

I booked in with my local indy last week, only for him to get rushed into hospital on the day I was booked in. So over the weekend I jacked the car up and removed the undertray as thats where the fluid was exiting from. The tray and everything above it were covered in a film of brake fluid, but there was nowhere obvious that the leak could be coming from, so it’s somewhere above that tray.

I know my limitations with a spanner, and dropping the subframe is way beyond where I want to go, so in the absence of my usual Indy, I’ve booked in with a local garage.

I removed all carpets and covers in the frunk and that area is dry, so this is something that’s happening somewhere in the system below the reservoir, but not at the callipers.

Has anyone experienced this or have any idea where the fluid could be leaking from? My 101 Projects book doesn’t seem to mention this area of the braking system at all, and I’ve had no joy with internet and forum searches.

Sorry if this seems a stupid question, just looking for some help in the absence of my indy so I don’t get ripped off at the garage!

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

blackandwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:19 PM   #2

I had similar symptoms and it was a cracked clutch line between the front fender liner and chassis.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown View Post
I had similar symptoms and it was a cracked clutch line between the front fender liner and chassis.
Thanks for this reply, I hadn’t realised that the clutch used the same fluid and reservoir. This makes sense as the level drops to what I know realise is the clutch supply tube.

I’ll let you know how I get on
Old 05-14-2018, 11:52 PM   #4

So I hadn’t checked the frunk properly after all. Spotted an oily patch behind the battery, a blue pipe being culprit. A friendly facebooker (aka etsy) has pointed out it’s a clutch related pipe too, probably a dodgy seal.

My 101 Projects Book is now directing me to the clutch master cylinder - hopefully that will resolve it

Last edited by blackandwhite; 05-15-2018 at 12:04 AM.