Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2018, 12:34 PM   #1

door speakers

Anyone ever have just the right door speaker not work? Before taking door card off was wondering if it could be the amp or head? Checked fuse and connections, left sub works fine. Sometimes the volume doesnt want to increase and have to turn treble down even though new dash speakers just installed its to tinney sounding Thanks in advance

nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #2

Which system do you have more specifically? Could be poor connection, or bad channel in either the amp or hu. New speakers did you verify polarity? Best guess with no more info is hu or amp channel going out if it was working then just stopped. Would check the new speaking wiring polarities to that can cause strange issues.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:04 PM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Try checking the harness connection between the door and the car. I was having strange door issues and mine was full of water and corroded. There are +/-15 connections inside that plug. Apparently it is a known issue for wet climates.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:15 PM   #4

the dash speakers are new, no chance for reverse polarity....harness connections oem. I will check the door connection and then the amp. I will forego taking off the door card. Thanks, any easy test for the amp right channel? Does the amp only run the door subs?
Old 05-06-2018, 06:57 PM   #5

You'll need the pinouts but one way to check connections is to disconnect the Amp connector and locate the correct pins for the right speaker. Take a 9V battery and briefly touch it between the +/- speaker connections. You will hear a 'pop' from the speaker. Polarity does not matter and you will not damage your speaker. If you hear a pop, your issue is amp or head unit. If you don't hear a pop, its time to trace the wire to the speaker.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicecar View Post
the dash speakers are new, no chance for reverse polarity....harness connections oem. I will check the door connection and then the amp. I will forego taking off the door card. Thanks, any easy test for the amp right channel? Does the amp only run the door subs?
If you changed speakers always chance of reverse polarity by accident.

Anyway, the plug on the big plug on the amp has the several pairs of twisted wires those are the speaker wires. The violet color goes to the right door. This link has a diagram with the colors https://cai-store.com/pages/996-c4-amplifier-installation

The small connector coming into amp is the control line and line level from head unit.

Becareful on the large connector there is a power wire that is always hot.
To disconnect the large connector it has a slide motion while pulling best way to describe it.

BTW really easy to remove door cards, get a set of plastic trim tools.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:52 AM   #7

I did not think I could reverse polarity when they are plug ins that only go one way? I really appreciate all the input. I always stress on projects like door cards that are always so simple when done, I have changed my exhaust twice , and taken bumper off twice and I am still afraid of the plastic pieces!and any little project. Let me check the amp connections. Any advice on amp. access? Take the whole bracket or take th amp from the bracket? Thanks again!
Old 05-07-2018, 05:15 AM   #8

lets assume it is not the speaker. How to determine amp or head unit?
Old 05-07-2018, 05:27 AM   #9

Quote:
I did not think I could reverse polarity when they are plug ins that only go one way? I really appreciate all the input. I always stress on projects like door cards that are always so simple when done, I have changed my exhaust twice , and taken bumper off twice and I am still afraid of the plastic pieces!and any little project. Let me check the amp connections. Any advice on amp. access? Take the whole bracket or take th amp from the bracket? Thanks again!
Not sure what year your car is I have a 00, easiest way I found was to remove the spare tire out of the way, then you should be able to access the large plug on the right side with out remove in the amp. The plug has this slide action, as you pull up the lock will slide over. If you pull the small connector it works like a latch and will break if you aren't careful.

If you do the door cards get some plastic tool set makes it easier and watch a couple videos. Right side is easier as there are no wires for the mirror. You pull the top plastic piece off by pulling the bottom out a bit the up there is a tab on top can break if you don't slide up. Then on the door latch there is a screw and you need to pry down on the more pointy section and out, again that will break easy if you watch some videos you get the idea. There are hex bolts on the door handle, the air bag plug, and the light. I am going by memory, then card pops off.

I know what you mean about the plastic bits, broken several and replaced them. As far as wiring, I double check anything prewired, factory can make mistakes too, but your probably right no issue there.

You can find amps on ebay fairly reasonable. I had the 4 channel in mine then switched to a 6 channel cabriolet, now have Aline PDX9. I took an old broken amp made a speaker harness adaptor, so even though I did a full blown aftermarket setup I can put it back factory in a couple of hours only thing I really cut was the factory speaker grill mounting the new tweeters, speakers were shot anyway and the JBL coax will bolt back in.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:15 AM   #10

thanks . Just so you dont think i am lazy I watched couple of vidieos but it seems your posts always enhance.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:51 AM   #11

I want to make sure you understand that revering polarity will have no effect on weather a speaker will work. It should still have sound output.

You need the amp pinouts. I’m sorry I don’t have them. You can jumper speaker outputs from left to right, even with the amp connected.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:53 AM   #12

Quote:
thanks . Just so you dont think i am lazy I watched couple of vidieos but it seems your posts always enhance.
No didnt cross my mind, the videos always leave a couple of questions I think, no matter hiw many times you watch, seems they go to quick over a part or my brain runs to slow. Lol. I find commentaries helpful with the videos, so i help where i can.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:00 AM   #13

I say that because I have read many posts over the years where whoever is like "use your search button" or some other comment that seems to be bothered that someone asks first. I guess I am paranoid.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:04 AM   #14

Pinouts? I will have to research what those are. Also try jumping speaker
Old 05-07-2018, 10:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Pinouts? I will have to research what those are. Also try jumping speaker
Yeah can google that, there is also a diagram somewhere on host site here, it but its the purple violet pair for right door.

Yeah i have seen that many times, I like to help google doesnt give all the ansews most of the time. I am little paranoide too, but many times easier just to try and help. I think these days most people have done a search.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:17 PM   #16
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Here is the picture I PM you about.

rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote