Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2018, 04:58 AM   #1

Garage
Paint Job

I have a 2000 Boxster and it could sure use a paint job and seals. I paid 5K many years ago to paint my 911, but, like I said, it's been many years. Just wondering how much it might cost for a nice paint job nowadays, same color. Has anyone done this recently?

PCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCrawford View Post
I have a 2000 Boxster and it could sure use a paint job and seals. I paid 5K many years ago to paint my 911, but, like I said, it's been many years. Just wondering how much it might cost for a nice paint job nowadays, same color. Has anyone done this recently?
Are you on a fairly tight budget?

Here's mine:

I'm fairly happy with it, I can see the flaws, of course. It was about $1700 at Maico. I did a color change from Polar silver to a bright red metallic.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:26 AM   #3

Wow $1700 paint from maico! I remember when it was $200, and that was what you got. My dad was a body and paint guy, I worked for him several years before changing professions. That was in the 80’s. Sure feel old now lol
Old 04-28-2018, 09:21 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
I can see the flaws, of course.
At least it isn't silver anymore.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:21 AM   #5

Back in my college days I took a old car to MACO for their $200 paint job. Limited choice of colors at that price....other colors were more $$. The finished car looked like it was "dipped". Some sections were painted so thick that even after a month the paint was still so soft (and thick) that a finger nail would leave a permanent indentation.
Unless your Porsche is a "junker" I wouldn't put a cheap crappy paint job on it. You usually get what you pay for. Better to wait and save your money up for a quality job.
Just my 2 cents...........
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
AGREED......why are they ALL silver????
1990 Chevrolet pu pre runner
boxfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCrawford View Post
Well there is so much labor in a good paint job that $5000 will get you........well how do I say it, not much body work, not much prep and cheap paint. get some estimates and find out
1990 Chevrolet pu pre runner
boxfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:46 PM   #8
MWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Grrrrrr.

I have never fully understood the hatred toward Arctic Silver, it was after all a "premium color" as well as the prototype color and, dang it, the color of my car. Anything besides Arctic Silver is only attempting to emulate a Platonic "true form" or rather the ultimate (yet unattainable) version, or maybe closer to Aristotle's view of an extisting example of which all others are judged.

Rant over.

With all that being said, I suppose I can admit that I have thought about a color change to Seal Grey or even White...but then I guess I would only be trying to improve on an exemplar (which by definition is impossible). Oh well...
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:56 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post
Grrrrrr.
Mine is a 1999 Arctic Silver, I LOVE the color. Black interior.

I have never fully understood the hatred toward Arctic Silver, it was after all a "premium color" as well as the prototype color and, dang it, the color of my car. Anything besides Arctic Silver is only attempting to emulate a Platonic "true form" or rather the ultimate (yet unattainable) version, or maybe closer to Aristotle's view of an extisting example of which all others are judged.

Rant over.

With all that being said, I suppose I can admit that I have thought about a color change to Seal Grey or even White...but then I guess I would only be trying to improve on an exemplar (which by definition is impossible). Oh well...

jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote