986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   OEM Rotors ?? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/71892-oem-rotors.html)

Lacostas 04-25-2018 03:55 AM

OEM Rotors ??

Hey there,

I’ve search the forum(and google) about Boxster 2004 (non S) OEM Rotors. The thickness currently is at 18mm so it’s time for change. But I am struggling to find the OEM brand, since many say it’s Zimmerman, others say Sebro and so on. On PelicanParts They claim to have OEM German rotors at 100$ each.

Thanks as always

Deserion 04-25-2018 04:05 AM

ATE, Sebro, Zimmermann are all good choices. Not sure which of the three I'll go with when I get new rotors but can't go wrong with any of those.

BirdDog 04-25-2018 05:20 AM

I think there were more than one supplier for the OEM rotors...

When I replaced them on my 2001 S I went with Zimmerman "Z-Coated" (or some name like that) rotors. They still look like the day I bought them and I haven't had any problems with them. Purchased from Pelican...

maytag 04-25-2018 01:34 PM

I've used Zimmerman on many euro cars and have found them to be consistently high - quality. Even on a nearly 6k-lb Mercedes ML500, they were simply great.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

boxfix 04-28-2018 04:26 PM

I like r1 concepts rotors. Have used them often.

Mastergmt 04-27-2019 09:46 PM

Hi, has anyone used BrakeMotive cross drilled rotors and ceramic pads? These are comparatively much cheaper and I wonder how do they perform? Thanks.

JayG 04-27-2019 10:06 PM

You won't go wrong with Meyle rotors.
They usually run around $90 a pair on fleabay or amazon

I've been tracking them for a few years and no issues or problems

thstone 04-28-2019 07:46 AM

For the street, literally any decent rotor will work fine. Even AutoZone.

I go through 2-3 sets of rotors per year and over the past 8 years have tried everything from the most expensive to the cheapest and never noticed much difference.

I am replacing the rotors and pads on my car again today and I bought cheap $50 rotors ($200 for four).

The real difference in performance and feel is in the pads. Select pads carefully.

YellowS2000 04-29-2019 08:15 AM

I have just bought a full set of Brembo discs and pads all-round for my 2000 Boxster S

ye you can get cheaper ones but as ill be keeping the car forever and no one is going hungry at my house iv opted for top quality. Also as i only cover a gentle 3000 pa they should last for ages

Car goes in to the garage in a few weeks for its service so ill get them fitted then.

Didn't realise how big they are.

I like how the non wear parts are coated, hopefully it will stip them going rusty.

10/10ths 04-29-2019 09:11 AM

Everything posted above....

....is right on the money.

Lots of choices, all of them are fine.

When I needed new rotors last year, I bought a set of cryogenically frozen OEM rotors from a company called "Frozen Rotors."

There has been a lot of progress on cryogenically treated rotors in the last decade.

The idea is that you put the rotors in a freezer and slowly drop the temperature to around -250 degrees F. This "aligns the molecules" and supposedly makes for harder wearing metal.

The military does this with artillery gun barrels.

NASCAR does this on their rotors and many racers do this.

I figured I'd give it a shot.

I only have about 6,000 miles on them so far, and the only thing I can really report is that they have a mirror like finish where the pads have made contact. They work great.

I had 50,000 miles on the original rotors, so we'll see. I should have 50,000 miles on these in four years at my current driving rate.

Here's a link:

http://www.frozenrotors.com

And a brief synopsis from the Tire Rack:

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=83

And another link:

https://www.thefabricator.com/article/shopmanagement/cryogenic-processingadispelling-the-myths-mysteries

:cheers:

Lemming 04-29-2019 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxfix (Post 569000)
I like r1 concepts rotors. Have used them often.

I purchased a complete set from Amazon at around $150 for the SPB. After a two weekends of racing I noticed that they were wearing unevenly (there was a 10 mm band on the outside of rotor which was thicker). Of course, that meant that the outer most part of the pads were thinner. This occurred on both the front and rear rotors. I've not seen this with other rotor brands.

KRAM36 04-29-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YellowS2000 (Post 593976)
I have just bought a full set of Brembo discs and pads all-round for my 2000 Boxster S

ye you can get cheaper ones but as ill be keeping the car forever and no one is going hungry at my house iv opted for top quality. Also as i only cover a gentle 3000 pa they should last for ages

Car goes in to the garage in a few weeks for its service so ill get them fitted then.

Didn't realise how big they are.

I like how the non wear parts are coated, hopefully it will stip them going rusty.

Did you get the drilled Brembo rotors and are the protected areas painted black?

If you don't mind, could you post a picture of them?

Pdwight 04-29-2019 07:24 PM

Bosh Quiet Cast

I have been running these for almost 5 years (no tracking) good rotors for the money...I think I got them at O Rileys but easily available online. Always paint the center part a day before installation....mine came with a thin cardboard washer that covered the "Pad Area" and the painting was a cinch

Starter986 04-30-2019 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10/10ths (Post 593978)
The idea is that you put the rotors in a freezer and slowly drop the temperature to around -250 degrees F. This "aligns the molecules" and supposedly makes for harder wearing metal.

Snake oil, unless an engineer wants to pipe in...

Aligns the molecules? lol.

KRAM36 04-30-2019 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 594028)
Snake oil, unless an engineer wants to pipe in...

Yeah, makes as much sense to say when you step on the brakes and heat up the rotors, the molecules will become unaligned.

Gilles 04-30-2019 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 594028)

Actually yes...

I have read that you can also apply the cryogenic treatment to the crankshafts and gear sets, and there are many applications of cryogenic treatments on the aerospace industry as well.

PS: I am Not an engineer, but I slept at the Holiday Inn last night ...LOL

Oldcarguy 04-30-2019 04:53 PM

........post deleted.........

10/10ths 04-30-2019 05:56 PM

It might be....

.....snake oil.

I work in the auto industry and have engineer friends in aviation.

Many have used this process and report good results. I’m just throwing it out there for the collective.

YMMV

Cheers.

Starter986 05-01-2019 03:39 AM

Yeah... I'm going with Kram on this.

Cold:Align.

Hot:Unaligned.

The only thing worth cryogenically freezing is Ted William's head and body.

However, Gilles slept at a Holiday Inn... so, there's that. ;)

husker boxster 05-01-2019 05:14 AM

[QUOTE=thstone;593916]I go through 2-3 sets of rotors per year and over the past 8 years have tried everything from the most expensive to the cheapest and never noticed much difference. [QUOTE]

I'm with Tom. I warped my orig front rotor after my 1st time at COTA. They don't allow a cool down lap and I just came in and parked. Looked at ordering some but found some zinc hat Bosch at the O'Reilly down the street. They were cheaper than online and I hadn't even checked what shipping would be. Those suckers are heavy and would have to cost a fortune to ship. The Bosch's have worked great now that I do some cool down on the side roads (have done COTA twice since and Indy 3 times).