986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Transponder ID48 T6 Chip (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/71872-transponder-id48-t6-chip.html)

Porsche-Eh 04-23-2018 08:54 AM

Transponder ID48 T6 Chip

Is this the right chip for a base 1999 986? Does anyone have experience with ordering one of these "unlocked" chips for literally $2 with free shipping from eBay? If yes, did you take it to your dealer to get your DME/ecu programmed or did you try to clone your working pill on to this unlocked pill? I have a new extra fob and new working key blade but no pill so looking for options. Thanks!

JFP in PA 04-23-2018 09:55 AM

Good luck, I am unaware of anyone having successfully done this.

obthomas 04-23-2018 12:22 PM

Transponder ID48 T6 Chip

I had one working key. I went into the key and lifted the plastic keeper that held the pill up and out of the key. I took the plastic keeper with pill included and fastened it to the back of the rubber ignition trim. I bought a new key without the pill (RFIC Chip) and without keyless entry buttons for about $30 including cutting. The new key works in all my locks and starts the car. I could have as many keys as I want for about $30 each. My 2003 car is not the $50,000 it once was.:dance:

boxfix 04-23-2018 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obthomas (Post 568564)
I had one working key. I went into the key and lifted the plastic keeper that held the pill up and out of the key. I took the plastic keeper with pill included and fastened it to the back of the rubber ignition trim. I bought a new key without the pill (RFIC Chip) and without keyless entry buttons for about $30 including cutting. The new key works in all my locks and starts the car. I could have as many keys as I want for about $30 each. My 2003 car is not the $50,000 it once was.:dance:

I did that and found that the alarm system would drain the battery.....a new battery at that.

I too thought it was pretty neat, but just be aware that it acts like the key is in the car all the time.......I believe it is in the owners manual not to keep the key in the ignition for this reason.

Geof3 04-23-2018 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxfix (Post 568589)
I did that and found that the alarm system would drain the battery.....a new battery at that.

I too thought it was pretty neat, but just be aware that it acts like the key is in the car all the time.......I believe it is in the owners manual not to keep the key in the ignition for this reason.

Yes, this. Even if I leave my key sitting in the car, the car sees the key and won't shut down lights etc. completely.

986bsdriver 10-19-2018 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 568551)
Good luck, I am unaware of anyone having successfully done this.

I figure I’d bump this thread with my experience

I just got back from my local locksmith and am happy to report that I got my key cloned. I actually had 2 keys made by him and both work flawlessly. I provided the transponder which he was able to clone into but he provided the key housing as I had other plans. He also mentioned that to make a 2nd key would be a lot cheaper as all he’s gotta do is hit write again so I opted for a 2nd spare. All in was $270CAD so about 200usd. I don’t get the keyless features but I don’t have to lose sleep with losing my only key anymore

Porsche-Eh 10-20-2018 08:14 AM

Thanks for the update! This has been on my “to-do” for a long time. Since I have new keys that fit and new fobs but no cloned pills I finally broke down and ordered a KeyDYI X2 from eBay this morning. It costs $225usd with free shipping and will clone all pills currently make without tokens (I.e a fee) or so it claims. I’m really just a tool and gadget hog so I wanted to play with it. I will report back when it comes and I attempt to clone my 986 pill. I already have blank pills. They were 10 for $2 on eBay. I do know my remote door function won’t work as the pill is just for starting the car. But, given another good thread on here about a viper alarm with remorte door unlock that works with our cars I’m planning on going that route. Lots of cheap used alarms for sale and you can some times even get them for free if you stop by an installer and they’ve pulled an old one out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 986bsdriver (Post 581276)
I figure I’d bump this thread with my experience

I just got back from my local locksmith and am happy to report that I got my key cloned. I actually had 2 keys made by him and both work flawlessly. I provided the transponder which he was able to clone into but he provided the key housing as I had other plans. He also mentioned that to make a 2nd key would be a lot cheaper as all he’s gotta do is hit write again so I opted for a 2nd spare. All in was $270CAD so about 200usd. I don’t get the keyless features but I don’t have to lose sleep with losing my only key anymore

Smallblock454 10-20-2018 11:58 PM

Hm, i don't get it.

A new, complete original spare key from Porsche is around 175 euros, which is around 200 usd. OK this key has to be programmed to the car, which might be additional 100 usd. And you'll need the code cards for your other keys to have it done by Porsche. So maybe 300 usd.

So why do you invest 225 usd in a cheapo chinese crap transponder cloner or 200 usd in 2 keys that don't have a remote function and will always keep the alarm system of your car in a state of a permanent error generator?

986bsdriver 10-21-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallblock454 (Post 581344)

So why do you invest 225 usd in a cheapo chinese crap transponder cloner or 200 usd in 2 keys that don't have a remote function and will always keep the alarm system of your car in a state of a permanent error generator?

My local dealership wanted $750cad for a single remote and programming. There’s only 2 in the entire province. Indies want just as much for a single key. This is a heavily depreciated car, not worth more then 15k cad. We are in a totally different market up here so it’s not as simple as just walking to the dealership and just doing stuff like that. There’s a lot of things I can do with an extra $500 in my pocket and not having a remote is peanuts compared to how little I actually drive the car.

Hopefully that adds a little insight as to why we choose to go the way we went. And I’d like to add that just because you can afford to get new remotes, you gotta justify it still.

Porsche-Eh 10-21-2018 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallblock454 (Post 581344)
Hm, i don't get it.

A new, complete original spare key from Porsche is around 175 euros, which is around 200 usd. OK this key has to be programmed to the car, which might be additional 100 usd. And you'll need the code cards for your other keys to have it done by Porsche. So maybe 300 usd.

X2 is ordered and on its way (from China), which means it can arrive any time from 5 days to 3 months. Lol.

Like 986S, the P dealer in Calgary charged me $640 all-in the last time I did a key/fob/programming. But, this is not the primary reason I want to order a key fob cloner and programmer. I am in a car club and if this works then I can help others for practically free. Not to mention I love gadgets :) and tools and if I can do stuff myself then I will try it first. This way I’m learning all the time. The basic principles are applicable to all cars not just the Boxster.

rusty69911 10-21-2018 08:09 PM

please keep us updated,
I would love to buy one of these too as my local dealer (only one in the state) is 500 kilometres away and I hate to imagine what they charge...

986bsdriver 10-21-2018 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche-Eh (Post 581390)
X2 is ordered and on its way (from China), which means it can arrive any time from 5 days to 3 months. Lol.

Like 986S, the P dealer in Calgary charged me $640 all-in the last time I did a key/fob/programming. But, this is not the primary reason I want to order a key fob cloner and programmer. I am in a car club and if this works then I can help others for practically free. Not to mention I love gadgets :) and tools and if I can do stuff myself then I will try it first. This way I’m learning all the time. The basic principles are applicable to all cars not just the Boxster.

I looked into the fob clone and between cloning keys and fobs, we got a real contender here. Keep me posted, I’d be willing to get a cloned or even drive down to Calgary just to check it out as you’re just down the highway