986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Finally drove a 911 (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/71790-finally-drove-911-a.html)

kk2002s 04-16-2018 08:49 AM

Finally drove a 911

Until last Saturday, the only Porsches I have driven were my fathers 914 (when I was a teenager) and my Boxster S.
So Saturday I had a rare opportunity to drive a 993, with only 30k miles on it. Not far or long, maybe 10 minutes.
You can feel the weight out back. In that short time I just couldn't get the hang of it's clutch. Much lighter than my Boxster's, more of an Off/On and released farther out (Mine is about half way)
I felt I didn't drive it very well therefore not getting a full appreciation of it

The owner did encourage me to get on it and I did a few pulls but my shifting was a bit embarrassing and clumsy, in my eyes

But what I did take away from that short drive was a new appreciation for my Boxster. My 3.2 really does pull well, especially having 100k miles
My shifter feels more precise. The 993, for me, was somewhat vague.
The Boxster also doesn't feel as cramped, side to side.

Would I turn down another chance, Hell no
Would I like to own one, sure would

Porsche9 04-16-2018 09:20 AM

The side by side room always takes some getting used too. I'm 6'4" with shoulder width to match and if I have someone as tall as me in the passenger seat it gets tight.

The air cooled cars are different and definitely show their age compared to anything Porsche post air cooled area but I still love driving them.

mikefocke 04-16-2018 09:26 AM

So would you trade your 2002S Boxster for a 2002 911? I never had any desire to.

996s are remarkably cheap now days, as in under $20k for a base stick Cab.

achillies 04-16-2018 11:09 AM

I sold a 2000 911 w/40k and bought the Boxster. The 911 was great but it really didn't have much going on.(I joked that it was a Honda Accord) The Boxster just want to be driven.

Deserion 04-16-2018 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kk2002s (Post 568030)

This can be attributed to the coupler bushings between the shift rod and transmission. Mine broke apart and the shifter was very rubbery, but once replaced it's sharp. Also, good shifting depends on the rod cup bushings to be in good order, and not turning into wax as they tend to do with age. :)

Finnegan 04-16-2018 02:47 PM

I had a similar experience testing an e46 m3. I found it disappointing.

Geof3 04-16-2018 07:40 PM

I do love driving my Box, but would I trade it for my old 84 911 that I sold years ago? Yep. In a heartbeat. That car was just great... and I’m a stupid for selling it. Was my daily (mostly) for nearly 10 years.

Porsche9 04-16-2018 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikefocke (Post 568032)
So would you trade your 2002S Boxster for a 2002 911? I never had any desire to.

996s are remarkably cheap now days, as in under $20k for a base stick Cab.

Both the 986 and the 996 are awesome values. So much so I have one of each. A lot of folks think I’m rreally lucky (I am lucky and extremely great full) but don’t have a clue what a deal these cars are.

thstone 04-16-2018 09:01 PM

I encourage everyone that I speak with to take every opportunity to drive, or own, as many different Porsche's as possible. Each model is worth the experience.

fridsten 04-17-2018 01:21 AM

I occasionally drive my parent's 2006 997 C4. Although it's a great car, it's just not as nimble as the Boxster. Of course it's faster, but I feel like I have to use a bit of force to show it who's in control. The Boxster acts like an extension of my spine. I just think it and it does it.

coreseller 04-17-2018 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kk2002s (Post 568030)
Until last Saturday, the only Porsches I have driven were my fathers 914 (when I was a teenager) and my Boxster S.
So Saturday I had a rare opportunity to drive a 993, with only 30k miles on it. Not far or long, maybe 10 minutes.
You can feel the weight out back. In that short time I just couldn't get the hang of it's clutch. Much lighter than my Boxster's, more of an Off/On and released farther out (Mine is about half way)
I felt I didn't drive it very well therefore not getting a full appreciation of it

The owner did encourage me to get on it and I did a few pulls but my shifting was a bit embarrassing and clumsy, in my eyes

But what I did take away from that short drive was a new appreciation for my Boxster. My 3.2 really does pull well, especially having 100k miles
The Boxster also doesn't feel as cramped, side to side.

Would I turn down another chance, Hell no
Would I like to own one, sure would

I moved from a 986 S to a 993 several years back, your impressions above are spot on. I agree that the bottom hinge mounted clutch and brake pedals are very different and take quite a bit of getting used to, until you do you look rather clumsy.

Totally different cars made using totally different manufacturing techniques, both are fun and more than competent in their own ways..........:cheers:

Robert993TT 04-18-2018 11:28 AM

I owned a 993 turbo since more than 10 years ago and added a 986 Boxster S the last years. I drive them back to back quite frequently. They are totally different drivers experiences. The Boxster is a much easier car to drive. More convenient most of the times. More than enough performance for normal circumstances. The turbo needs to be pushed to feel alive and demands more attention from a drivers perspective. A friend of mine has a 993 C2 and it´s more in line with a Boxster performance wise.

The Boxster is the real bargin in the Porsche lineup. I really appreciate the Boxster for what it is. It´s so well balanced in so many ways. The Boxster and the 996 understated looks. I respect them more today than I used to do when they were new.

boxfix 04-19-2018 09:22 AM

I have a 1973 Carrera RS clone.....Many real RS parts and 2.7, MFI etc. Weighs 2100 lbs.

When I go from my 2003 986 to that car I know I am in a really fun driver.

The 986 is just too refined.....sure it handles great and mid engine is nice, but I am too tall for it, it is too quiet, and just too refined.

my 2 cents

My RS on left friend Peter and his 1972 on right at the Petersen Museum

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1524158479.jpg

BRAN 04-19-2018 11:09 AM

It sounds like you guys are talking and experiencing evolution and that is good so.
Every evolution step Porsche takes, the more little helpers you find in our cars.
Latest (all of them) models will always be the best and easiest to drive, they don't fight the streets anymore but the sheer power they have.

Conclusion = All models are fun in their own ways. :cheers:
okay, sounds corny :D

Deserion 04-20-2018 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRAN (Post 568238)
Conclusion = All models are fun in their own ways. :cheers:
okay, sounds corny :D

It sure does but it's also on point. :)

My 911 has creaks and rattles, and smells like oil and gasoline vapors. It's also as fun as hell to drive and stare at, definitely more raw and visceral of an experience than the 986, which is more than a 987, and so on. The 987 is still a great drive, just a different method.

lkchris 04-20-2018 08:50 AM

Had same experience when Boxster in for a bit of service--a 993 loaner.

Nice enough, the almost straight up/down windshield with vent wings was a bit retro! For sure a different outlook on things.

They are simply old cars.

coreseller 04-20-2018 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkchris (Post 568297)
Had same experience when Boxster in for a bit of service--a 993 loaner.

Nice enough, the almost straight up/down windshield with vent wings was a bit retro! For sure a different outlook on things.

They are simply old cars.

- A 993 Loaner? They must like you :rolleyes:

- 993's do not have "Vent Wings", the small triangular forward windows are fixed.

- Simply Old Cars that have Doubled to Triple in Value (depending on model) in the past 5 to 10 years.

Don't come off as a dismissive 911 guy does towards Boxsters please, they REALLY look like Jerks.

DWBOX2000 04-20-2018 06:21 PM

I had a 77 Carrera 3.0 and now a Boxster S. Both awesome in there own way. Yes the old 911 is more raw but aren't the 356's even more mechanical. Is it a better car, who knows. I have a 01 Miata as well that is slow but possibly more fun than both (as slow as it is) but I can only drive that so much before it wears me down. Different people like different cars, what right for you not so much for me. Drive what ever floats your boat. There is no right answer. I personally wouldn't trade my S for the C3. It just does everything better. I like the look better too. That's me, my 911 buds think I'm nuts. Maybe I am. There all Porsches. I Feel pretty lucky to drive one.

coreseller 04-20-2018 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 (Post 568343)
I had a 77 Carrera 3.0 and now a Boxster S. Both awesome in there own way. Yes the old 911 is more raw but aren't the 356's even more mechanical. Is it a better car, who knows. I have a 01 Miata as well that is slow but possibly more fun than both (as slow as it is) but I can only drive that so much before it wears me down. Different people like different cars, what right for you not so much for me. Drive what ever floats your boat. There is no right answer. I personally wouldn't trade my S for the C3. It just does everything better. I like the look better too. That's me, my 911 buds think I'm nuts. Maybe I am. There all Porsches. I Feel pretty lucky to drive one.

Funny that you mention that, my 1999 Miata is by far the most fun vehicle to drive that we have, by far...........:cheers:

db_nc_02s 05-04-2018 03:53 AM

Comparisons

3 Attachment(s)
I have a ‘95 Carrera RS clone (in all ways but engine and seats).
It has no catalyst (x-pipe in its place) and has empty stock muffler cans, special shift gear (‘goldenrod’ from FDP Motorsports). It has the RS clutch and light flywheel, PSS10 coilovers. It is a tight responsive hoot to drive, but is just too cosmetically nice to track. The harder you drive it the better it gets.

I just bought a ‘02 Boxster S. It is having the second grear detent done, and returning to OEM shift linkage. I dont mind a longer throw, a 996 I had was fine in that regard.
The Boxster S has an urgent feel to it, as in ‘I was not made to cruise around, push me!’

Both cars just beg to be driven, the Boxster feels a bit more composed and balanced, and ‘smooth’ and I love them both. I have the best of ‘affordable’ aircooled (as i bought it 10 years ago before the prices started steeply climbing) and watercooled goodness, as well as a truly modern Porsche, a Macan GTS, definitely not a sportscar, but a fine, composed and powerful vehicle.