986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Two key option as a CLU bypass (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/71722-two-key-option-clu-bypass.html)

Zzorro 04-11-2018 06:34 AM

Two key option as a CLU bypass

Trying to bring a 98. Boxster 2.5 back to life. It starts, runs, drives and just fine. Even with the CLU issue. I have the interior stopped and it's drying it all out. And I'm getting water drip pans to fix the issue.

But what I really want, is to have a manual lock on the passenger side so I can lock the car without the FOB. Basically I want to go all manual for door locking.

So my question is: If I buy a UK door handle and lock assembly, can I have it rekeyed to match my ignition and drivers door?

Other info below for interest only, no need to read on. Main question is above.

-Would be awesome if someone had a clean way to bypass the CLU completely. But have not found that yet in all my searching. Seems like they all opt to fix or replace the CLU.

-My top is converted to manual. Which I like better. I'm going to strip out all the mechanism drives and cables etc. when I replace the drip pans.

-My windows drop 1/4 when I touch the handle. But won't roll down with the switches. Assume I have some hunting to do to figure that out. Maybe that's tied to the CLU as well?

JFP in PA 04-11-2018 07:23 AM

The CLU is linked to the DME that runs the car, remove the CLU and the DME will refuse to start the car because it is not there and correctly communicating.

Zzorro 04-11-2018 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 567637)
The CLU is linked to the DME that runs the car, remove the CLU and the DME will refuse to start the car because it is not there and correctly communicating.

Thanks for the reply.

So at present I can start and drive the car. I just want to be able to lock the passenger side door. If that can be done by buying a UK door lock and having it keyed to match my existing ignition and drivers door I get everything I am looking for.

Still though, figured someone could reprogram the DME to bypass needing any info from thr CLU to do it's job.

particlewave 04-11-2018 10:31 PM

Curious why you would need to have a manual lock on the passenger door...
Unlocking with the fob or at the driver's side manual lock unlocks both doors.
You can get a UK handle and lock assembly. You'll have to ask around some locksmiths to find out if they can put matching tumblers in.

oldskool73 04-11-2018 11:07 PM

FWIW, my Aus car also has a lock on both the passenger and driver side, and as far as I remember locking/unlocking either activates both.

Be interested to know how you'd go about getting the lock re-keyed though, I have 1 key that starts/opens everything... except the driver door, and another that just opens the driver door! Damn PO's!

JFP in PA 04-12-2018 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zzorro (Post 567696)
Thanks for the reply.

So at present I can start and drive the car. I just want to be able to lock the passenger side door. If that can be done by buying a UK door lock and having it keyed to match my existing ignition and drivers door I get everything I am looking for.

Still though, figured someone could reprogram the DME to bypass needing any info from thr CLU to do it's job.

Porsche's DME software is not the easiest thing in the world to modify or even read, which is why there are so few aftermarket Porsche scan tools that actually work.

Zzorro 04-12-2018 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 567705)
Curious why you would need to have a manual lock on the passenger door...

Thanks for the reply. My FOB does not work (nor does my dash lock button). Likely because the CLU is shot.

So I can open the drivers door manually (window drops 1/4") and I can start the car. But the passenger door remains unlocked at all times.

Good to hear it's possible to get a door lock rekeyed to match.
I wonder I'd the Center console lock tumbler can be swapped for a door tumbler?

particlewave 04-12-2018 09:26 AM

I didn't say it could be done.

After buying the passenger door handle/lock assembly and getting the tumblers set to your key (if it's even possible), you may be in $200-$300.
May as well just get the CLU fixed, instead. ;)

Zzorro 04-15-2018 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 567734)
I didn't say it could be done.

After buying the passenger door handle/lock assembly and getting the tumblers set to your key (if it's even possible), you may be in $200-$300.
May as well just get the CLU fixed, instead. ;)

Isn't a repair or replace around $1k with ECU doctors? Are there other options for repairs that I don't know about?

particlewave 04-15-2018 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zzorro (Post 567973)
Isn't a repair or replace around $1k with ECU doctors? Are there other options for repairs that I don't know about?

Forum member Qmulus. Not sure how much he charges, but I've heard it's less than ECU doctors and he knows his stuff. ;)

Qmulus 04-15-2018 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zzorro (Post 567973)

Sure there are other options. I repair them, and can often find good used replacements for $400 matched to your original. Even new ones are around $500 list at online Porsche parts places or dealers and can either be matched to the original or reprogrammed to match the car.

I don't understand why people pay more than dealer prices to get their modules repaired or replaced...

Yes, dealers charge a LOT to repair a water damaged alarm unit, but that is because book time is 10 hours to strip the interior to remove the carpets, shampoo the carpets, dry it all out and replace and reprogram the alarm/immo module and probably the remotes as well as if the alarm module is too damaged to communicate with to get the remote codes out of it, the remotes (not key transponder), then need to be replaced. The good part about repairing or replacing the damaged alarm/immo module with a cloned used one is that you do not have to do any reprogramming, so the remotes and keys do not need to be reprogrammed to the module or replaced.

Zzorro 04-15-2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qmulus (Post 567980)
Sure there are other options. I repair them, and can often find good used replacements for $400 matched to your original. Even new ones are around $500 list at online Porsche parts places or dealers and can either be matched to the original or reprogrammed to match the car.

Thanks for posting. I saw a few of your posts and yah, you know your stuff. I have other concerns that you may be able to walk me thru. I'll reach out by PM soon.

Again, thanks!