Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2018, 06:13 PM   #1

Extra Key solution not working

Finally decided that operating with one key has to end. Never know when my luck will run out and my only key will be lost. I ordered a new VW/Porsche key cut for my car without the RFID or keyless electronics. I should be here in a few days so I thought I would get a jump on the project and locate my good RFID in my ignition switch rubber trim piece. I took a small tie wrap and a short piece of heat shrink and slid the tie wrap and RFID into the heat shrink. I then shrinked the tube at both ends some distance from the RFID. I closed the tie wrap around the ignition trim and put it back on the ignition switch. Alas the car will not start I tried moving the RFID clockwise around the switch and nothing. I gave up and put the RFID back in my key and the car starts right up. IS THERE SOME MAGIC TO LOCATING THE RFID? I had the pill perpendicular to the key; does it need to be in the same orientation as when it is in the key? Does orientation matter? Was the heat shrink an insulator and a poor choice. Does anyone have this process figured out and can advise me? Thanks ahead of time.

obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:49 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by obthomas View Post
Finally decided that operating with one key has to end. Never know when my luck will run out and my only key will be lost. I ordered a new VW/Porsche key cut for my car without the RFID or keyless electronics. I should be here in a few days so I thought I would get a jump on the project and locate my good RFID in my ignition switch rubber trim piece. I took a small tie wrap and a short piece of heat shrink and slid the tie wrap and RFID into the heat shrink. I then shrinked the tube at both ends some distance from the RFID. I closed the tie wrap around the ignition trim and put it back on the ignition switch. Alas the car will not start I tried moving the RFID clockwise around the switch and nothing. I gave up and put the RFID back in my key and the car starts right up. IS THERE SOME MAGIC TO LOCATING THE RFID? I had the pill perpendicular to the key; does it need to be in the same orientation as when it is in the key? Does orientation matter? Was the heat shrink an insulator and a poor choice. Does anyone have this process figured out and can advise me? Thanks ahead of time.
DIY: Making cheap spare keys
Old 04-11-2018, 07:00 AM   #3

Thanks. What you linked is the guidance I am following. Problem was locating the RFID where it works. I changed the orientation and removed the shrink wrap and am pleased to report success. I now have a spare key and as many more as I want for about $30 apiece.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:23 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Thanks. What you linked is the guidance I am following. Problem was locating the RFID where it works. I changed the orientation and removed the shrink wrap and am pleased to report success. I now have a spare key and as many more as I want for about $30 apiece.
Glad to hear it worked for you.

How long did the entire process take, from the time you assembled all your tools until the car started? Thank you.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #5

About an hour. Most of it at the kitchen table doing surgery on good key carefully removing the RFID and locating and fastening the RFID to the ignition trim. Once at the car I put the trim back on with the RFID attached and I was done. I wasted about an hour on the first attempt when the car would not start because of either placement or shielding because of the heat shrink.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:06 PM   #6
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Glad it worked out for you. I read on another forum of someone else who had it oriented wrong and had the same problem. Normal heat shrink tubing should not interfere with the signal. My only purpose for heat shrink was to make the transponder harder to lose and easy to remove in case I wanted to return the key its to original state. Three of my five current 986s (and two that I sold) are like this now and I have had no problems.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:52 AM   #7

I had better luck moving mine to the right side of the trim. The left side has more room to place it but the car wouldn't start with it on that side.