986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   QUICK SANITY CHECK NEEDED: speaker install! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/71674-quick-sanity-check-needed-speaker-install.html)

square-root 04-08-2018 03:15 AM

QUICK SANITY CHECK NEEDED: speaker install!

Hi,

I have a blown-out door speaker and I bought replacements: Alpine SPR-50C (https://www.alpine-usa.com/index.php/product/view/spr-50c/)

So my question is: can I simply replace the door speakers with the Alpine SPR-50C 5 1/4" speakers as drop-in replacements? (I.e. not having to worry about installing the tweeters and crossovers included in the SPR-50C package?)

I currently have the M490 6x40 996 Cabrio Amp installed and Alpine SPG-10c2s in the dash.

Thank you for any and all guidance!

morgal48 04-08-2018 05:18 AM

With the Haes amp you will not get much out of your new speakers. The 6X40 has an internal low pass filter, so nothing but bass will be sent to the doors. Having been where you are, I found limited choices:

Replace the Haes amp and use any speakers that will fit the doors
Modify the Haes amp
Buy replacement factory speakers and keep the amp
Replace both the amp and speakers

My choice was a new amp and replacement factory door speakers. My ears are tin, but I have been surprised at the level and quality of sound from those 5-1/4" subs. And the fronts and rears (the paper cones in those died and were replaced long ago).

There a several posts here about the options - make sure those Alpines are shallow enough to fit.

Good luck

square-root 04-08-2018 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morgal48 (Post 567371)
With the Haes amp you will not get much out of your new speakers. The 6X40 has an internal low pass filter, so nothing but bass will be sent to the doors. Having been where you are, I found limited choices:

Replace the Haes amp and use any speakers that will fit the doors
Modify the Haes amp
Buy replacement factory speakers and keep the amp
Replace both the amp and speakers

My choice was a new amp and replacement factory door speakers. My ears are tin, but I have been surprised at the level and quality of sound from those 5-1/4" subs. And the fronts and rears (the paper cones in those died and were replaced long ago).

There a several posts here about the options - make sure those Alpines are shallow enough to fit.

Good luck

Soooo, can I install the speakers as replacements for the door speakers as-is without adding the crossovers and/or tweeters?

Boxing Cat 04-08-2018 09:31 AM

If you are just installing the 5 1/4's mid/bass drivers - sounds like the answer is yes.

Cunningr 04-08-2018 11:43 AM

Should be able to, bolt them in, thing is those are actully subwoofers not mids.

i am doing 6.5 inch. In doors I changed the dash speakers and head unit this weekend and what a difference. Tweeters were a pain, for the dash i used the cai adaptor. I have a subwoofer from 996 going to modified to hold sn 8” pioneer sub.

Just off the changes i did i would have been happy cant wait to finish install.

morgal48 04-08-2018 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by square-root (Post 567373)
Soooo, can I install the speakers as replacements for the door speakers as-is without adding the crossovers and/or tweeters?

Yes. Chances are they will sound like the ones you are removing. The factory door speakers are 2 ohm, and if your new speakers have a higher impedance you will actually hear less sound than you do now, which I know is just not much.

I am NOT an expert, but did a lot of research on this site, and auto electronics sites before any changes were made. Many others have done as Cunningr, but that requires removing door panels and fashioning a replacement support system for the new speakers. A template for the support design is available on Rennlist, I think.

Again, good luck. Its all fun, especially when you finish and what you did works!

Cunningr 04-08-2018 08:34 PM

If you go my route and go bigger, i suggest buying new door speaker boxes to modify. I used the nokia, but knowing more info now I suggest using the bose style enclosure as it has more volume.

square-root 04-09-2018 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cunningr (Post 567415)
If you go my route and go bigger, i suggest buying new door speaker boxes to modify. I used the nokia, but knowing more info now I suggest using the bose style enclosure as it has more volume.

Thanks all!

Since the right door speaker is already blown out / desintegrated, installing the SPR-50C will definitely be an upgrade :)