Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #1

Electrical problems / car won't start after rain downpour

OK.... and so it begins.

I just purchased a 1997 Porsche Boxster and had it about 2 months now. Last couple days we had severe downpours. Right after purchasing the car, I had a brand new OEM top put on by the dealer's top guy.

Two nights ago we had an extreme rain downpour and all the windows were up. The next day, I came out and found my passenger window all the way down and the driver's side window erratically moving up and down a couple inches... as if I was trying to open the door. The interior was soaked and I had 1 1/2 inches of water in the driver's side floor pan.

When I opened the drivers door, the window stopped moving. When I closed it again, it would start up again. Anyway, my neighbor owns a carpet cleaning business and he came over and vacuumed the floors and removed all the water.

The car will not start but the dash lights come on. The headlights all work. The AC unit powers on. The radio powers on. The windows do not work when I try to push either of the switches. The "door lock" switch on the dash is lit but the door locks will not work. The red LEDs on the dash board for the alarm are on steady and don't flash. The horn works. BUT, when I turn the ignition key, I get nothing.

I went under the front hood to look at the battery and found water filled up the pan on the driver's side of the battery. The drain tube was clogged and I cleaned it out. The water all drained out. I'm going to guess that enough water kept filling there that it leaked badly into the cabin through a small opening in the firewall where a cable runs... right near the stearing shaft.

MY GUESS: the immobilizer under the driver seat got wet? If that's where its located. BUT, what caused the windows to go down and the one to act irratically? I disconnected the battery and reconnected. After about an hour, the windows went back up on their own. Then, as I opened the driver's door, the window went down a few inches but wouldn't go back up. Everything else is still the same. So, I disconnected the battery all together until I can figure this out. If water came in through the little hole in the firewall because of the drain tube being clogged, would all that water in the floor pan cause the windows to come down and act like this? Then, with the windows down and all the rain, my leather seats are like a sponge.

Please, if any of you have had a similar isse, please list what ultimately went wrong and needed to be fixed. I can't afford a dealer right now with my current situation with lack of work for my business. I'm not getting rid of the car... I love the car. If I only knew about that dame drain tube. I had the car inspected before purchasing and they said it was a great car for the money.

Thanks everyone.
Kenney

kcpstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #2

almost forgot

I forgot to mention.... the key remote doesn't work as well to unlock the doors or the rear trunk lid.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #3

You need to check all the drain holes for the vehicle. As you already found one blocked front hole you need to check the other front one also. In the rear there are two drain holes located underneath where the convertible top folds down. These drain down just in front of the rear wheels. You need to follow the procedure to place the top in the service position and the drains are located one in each corner. Also check the rubber tub has no tears in it which also allow water entry to the cabin.
The module under the left seat is the main computer controlling most of the vehicle. The water will have shorted out the electrics, thereby causing the erratic widow operation.
Pinarelloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:49 AM   #4

Garage
kenny first off can you get the car inside a garage and give it the chance to dry out. disconnect the battery (turn to 1st click before disconnecting to stop the alarm going off) and dry it out with the doors and lids open

some moisture in the module may be the cause of the windows having a fit. was there any issue with any electrics prior ?

as you know, when you release the hood handle the windows drop, moisure seems to be getting in somewhere

was the roof tested for leaks after being fitted ?

you also may want to look at leather creme for the seats re: watermarks on the leather. maybe beg/steal/borrow a de-humidifier ?

good luck and let us know your progress/thoughts/findings...
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #5

The roof was tested after install and the dealer said I was good to which brings up a question.....

Why didn't they check the drain holes... especially if I paid them to replace my top to keep my interior dry. Lol I mean, I'm getting way better information about my car from a great (and I mean way valuable great) website right here. I would think they would check that.

As for electronics? No issues prior... at least while I owned the car. I've been reading all kinds of info here since I joined and have purchased the Bentley manual and dealer service manual and parts manual on disc. The Top was the first thing to replace. The only thing besides that that needed to be fixed was my "Boxster" emblem on the back trunk was cracked. That's it and I got a great car. Now.... lol....

So, we've been having some good sun these last couple days so I've been leaving the windows open. I was going to pull the seats and carpet out and go from there. I don't have a garage and don't know anyone that does.

Here's an important question.... how can I get the windows up before I get the damage fixed? We have some more rain coming.

Thanks to all you guys for the help. Especially while I get up to speed with the car.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:46 PM   #6

I park outside too. Only have a one car garage and it is filled with a project car. The best advice I can give you is to get a "good" car cover if you park outside. You can get one online for around $150-160, maybe cheaper it you search more. I got a Covercraft one and it is great.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #7

If the interior got a substantial amount of water on the drivers side and got the module wet it may just be malfunctioning and once dried out it may or may not work. I have the same problem and all of my drains are clear. What I found is that the drain under the rubber bladder has a plastic like funnel connect to a rubber drain hose. I believe mine has a leak at the point where the two meet and thus water gets into the air void and will drain down behind the seat. I am thinking about drilling a hole so the water will drain out. What I find a little strange is that most Boxsters leak on that side the most. I have a California Pop Top and it is great and easy to use..check it out.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #8

I think my first step is to get through another couple days of rain. I covered the car for now and once I get another clear day, I'm going to remove the box under the seat and see if it's dry. If not, completely dry it and hook it back up and see. If that doesn't correct the issues, I'll just have to do a little at a time. I did try to lock the doors using the 3 quick turns to the right. That only locks the drivers door (obviously cause the key is in it) but it also trips the solenoid on the rear trunk lock. I just disconnected the battery completely for now just in case.

If anyone had the same issue and got it fixed, please tell me what was replaced so I can follow that route until I have to have Porsche reprogram if needed.

Thanks again guys.

I'll do the same. If I can help anyone else by posting my progress, I think it's worth it.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #9

Downpoor problems

Hello all, my first post. Thanks for a great site.

I bought my Boxster at the begining of September just before my holidays. took 3 weeks off work and got 1.5 days of sunshine that's it.

My car got soaked for 2 days and my heater fan stopped working everything else is fine, after reading the other posts I found that all my drain holes were plugged so I cleaned them all put a little electric heater with fan and have dried out my car.

I bought a shower curtain to cover the roof and engine access cover which I hold down with magnets and then put my car cover on top as it does not seem to be 100% waterproof as the add on Ebay claimed it was...

Anyhow I checked all my fuses and still the heater/defrost motor will not come on.

My AC used to work fine but when I press on the AC button now nothing happens... I ordered a manual and am awaiting delivery.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks.
TC
Rincontrx650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:01 AM   #10

Here's a question.... I have full coverage on my Geico auto policy with 0 deductible for my comprehensive. I'm wondering if damage due to heavy rain is covered.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpstudio
Here's a question.... I have full coverage on my Geico auto policy with 0 deductible for my comprehensive. I'm wondering if damage due to heavy rain is covered.
Seems like a telephone call to GEICO is in order.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #12

Called the little grren guy up and the claims rep said that it would be covered under flood in my comprehensive policy. Yeah

BUT, I'll still post everything that happens and let you all know what the dealer replaces etc. This way anyone who runs into this and the insurance doesn't cover it, at least has some information to help.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:56 PM   #13

Got my car back today from the shop.... finally. Well, $3,600 in damage. Insurance took care of everything... thank GOD. Basically, the box under the drivers seat got flooded and shorted out. That then killed both door lock solenoids, horn, and convertible top switch where the latch locks. Because I didn't have my key codes, they replaced all the key remotes. I'm just glad I still have some good weather left to enjoy the car before it gets put away.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:01 AM   #14

Garage
gotta love that gecko

2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:33 AM   #15

Quote:
The roof was tested after install and the dealer said I was good to which brings up a question.....Why didn't they check the drain holes... especially if I paid them to replace my top to keep my interior dry.
They most likely just ran a hose over it for a few minutes or ran through a car wash, no visible water inside. Lets call it good.

Your frienly neighborhood Porsche tech is only as good as the man is. Some techs go that extra mile some do not. It looks like you got the latter. Remember alot of people these days don't do the best work they can but instesd just skate along and collect the paycheck. The one time that I had a dealership work on my car I told them that I only wanted one tech to touch my car. I did not care how long it took him to fix it but I wanted only one person responsable for my car. When I talked with that tech a couple days after he had been working on my car I found out that he was a rat rod V-8 guy who hated VW's. I asked him why he worked on them and he said "Because the pay is good."

Quote:
Lol I mean, I'm getting way better information about my car from a great (and I mean way valuable great) website right here. I would think they would check that.
Thats because we are all sick...with porsche fever, one of the symptons being permagrin.

Glad to hear it got paid for by insurance. Way to go GEICO.
Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.

Last edited by yelojkt; 10-29-2010 at 06:38 AM.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #16

Hi KCP, I have been reading your story and it is very helpful.. and scarying.

I have the exact same problem with my Boxster S right now (alarm unit was 3/4 underwater) and I have a full coverage with Geico as well. The only difference with your story is that I didn't have the top replaced recently.

I would like to know if you had any problem with Geico. I am thinking they could say: These damages were not caused by severe weather but because of a technical issue with the car (that does not drain water correctly...)

Is there any way I can contact you ?

Thank you.

Ben
bdelapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:34 PM   #17

Hi everyone!

So, unfortunately I’ve experienced this same problem twice within six months. I’ve taken it to Porsche to get repaired again, but now they’ve doubled the repair cost. I reached out to Porsche corporate about this issue since I recently paid $4000 in Aug 2017 to get it fixed, and now it’s Mar 2018 with the same issue at $8000.

Sadly, they stated that it isn’t apart of their 12 month warranty nor is it there problem. Thankfully , Ive kept all my service records because telling me that the water damage was my fault because I didn’t have it garaged it’s insane. The car only is worth about $20,000, but they expect me to kept filing claims because of their crappy design.

With that being said, I’m started chatting it up with an attorney over this matter and I will be filing a lawsuit with this company. If anyone whose experienced this issue, or know someone who has, would like to join this lawsuit, feel free to forward your information to me. I think we all deserve answers from Porsche and better customer service when we’re paying thousands of dollars for their vehicles.

Name: Alexis C.
Email:alexisbclark07@gmail.com
SN: The car wasn’t even driven 1,000 miles in those six months, so you guys could understand my frustration.
LexBri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexBri View Post
Hi everyone!

So, unfortunately I’ve experienced this same problem twice within six months. I’ve taken it to Porsche to get repaired again, but now they’ve doubled the repair cost. I reached out to Porsche corporate about this issue since I recently paid $4000 in Aug 2017 to get it fixed, and now it’s Mar 2018 with the same issue at $8000.

Sadly, they stated that it isn’t apart of their 12 month warranty nor is it there problem. Thankfully , Ive kept all my service records because telling me that the water damage was my fault because I didn’t have it garaged it’s insane. The car only is worth about $20,000, but they expect me to kept filing claims because of their crappy design.

With that being said, I’m started chatting it up with an attorney over this matter and I will be filing a lawsuit with this company. If anyone whose experienced this issue, or know someone who has, would like to join this lawsuit, feel free to forward your information to me. I think we all deserve answers from Porsche and better customer service when we’re paying thousands of dollars for their vehicles.

SN: The car wasn’t even driven 1,000 miles in those six months, so you guys could understand my frustration.
You are going to sue Porsche? Have fun with that...
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:24 PM   #19
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexBri View Post
Hi everyone!

No. I don't understand your frustration. Water in the passenger cabin is caused by clogged drains. It's your responsibility to make sure the drains are clean. Didn't you learn anything the first time?

Your complaint is akin to running an engine without oil in it, then getting mad when it seizes.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:07 AM   #20
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
No. I don't understand your frustration. Water in the passenger cabin is caused by clogged drains. It's your responsibility to make sure the drains are clean. Didn't you learn anything the first time?

Your complaint is akin to running an engine without oil in it, then getting mad when it seizes.
I live in SoCal. My car is covered all the time. Driven only on weekends. Not driven in rainy or inclement weather.

Once I found this forum, and stumbled upon a thread about cleaning drains (and the importance of), I was on that task quicker than stink on ****************. The ramifications of unintentional water damage was enough to inspire me to spend 30 minutes clearing drains.

Sue Porsche. lol. smmfh