Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2021, 04:16 PM   #1

Almost there...

When we picked up this car for my son we knew that the car had a few issues and we have enjoyed resolving them. So far we have...
  • Fixed the center console storage compartment hinge, latch and micro switch
  • Disassembed the spoiler, cleaned it and re-greased it -> working now
  • Replaced all the micro switches and door latch on the passenger side
  • Replaced the door latch on the driver's side
  • Cleared an airbag code from the previous owner disconnecting a plug with the battery still connected

The car isn't throwing any codes but twice the alarm has gone off - is there a way to tell what triggered the alarm? Oh, I also have a new ignition switch as the radio was acting funny but since fixing the passenger door, the radio has been working fine - not sure if they could be related.

elav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 04:35 PM   #2

you need a durametric to read the alarm code. Most likely issue is the immobilizer on it's way out
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 04:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
you need a durametric to read the alarm code. Most likely issue is the immobilizer on it's way out
Thanks! I actually do have a Durametric and there are no codes under the alarm listings.
Old 05-31-2021, 12:17 PM   #4

OK, I must have accidentally erased the alarm codes the last time. Alarm went off yesterday and I was able to pull an alarm code of 46 this time. I've just replaced both door latches and the 2 micro switches in the passenger door. The driver's door seemed to operate fine when the inside and outside door latches are pulled so i didn't bother replacing those. I also replaced the center console latch and micro switch (pulled from a car in a junk yard that looked to be in incredible shape before the wreck). Can someone help me focus on the problem area? Not sure what 46 points to.
Old 06-01-2021, 04:12 PM   #5

Update - each time I lock the doors I get a single horn. I cleared the alarm codes (I recall I got a 46) and they haven't come back yet. Here is what I've done...
  • Tested the front trunk micro switch in the latch is working - it is
  • Tested the rear trunk latch micro switch - working
  • I had an extra center console micro switch, so plugged that in and taped it closed - no change

What else should I check? Does the solenoid that locks the gas cap flap have a micro switch? Like I said earlier, I replaced both door latches with new genuine Porsche latches and the door/windows work perfectly. I appreciate any guidance. This is a '98 986.

Last edited by elav; 06-01-2021 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Updating info
Old 06-01-2021, 05:32 PM   #6

The single beep when locking means it thinks something is open: Doors, trunks, console storage lid, and maybe more. You can test your trunk switches by using your mobile phone to record video from the inside of the trunk when you close it - you should see the light go out. You can disable the console compartment switch by unplugging the connector to its microswitch.

Did you have this problem before you made the repairs? If not, those are the places I would test first. (I also have an odd beep when locking. I fix mine by putting the top all the way down and all the way back up and it doesn't beep any more. So there may be another switch in the convertible mechanism that the alarm looks at, too.)
Sandy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:57 AM   #7

Thanks Sandy! When I picked up the car, it used to beep twice when locking (signaling a fault). The passenger door window didn't move down, stay down and go back up with opening and closing the door. The driver's side window would go down but not stay down when opening the door from the inside/outside. I replaced both door latches (new from Porsche) and the micro switches on the passenger side. Oh center console hinge and latch were broken so hinge was fixed and latch replaced (and I have tested the micro switch in center console and also tested replacing that micro switch with a working one that I taped shut). With all these updates, it locked for 2 weeks without any horn beeps and then this last week it started doing the single horn beep when I lock the car and been trying to figure it out since then.

The previous owner did have a piece of tape on the convertible latch that I removed. I don't believe the alarm monitors this other than turning the occupancy sensor on when the top is up and disabling it when the top is down, but perhaps I'm incorrect. It is the one area I haven't tested...
Old 06-02-2021, 11:21 AM   #8

Do you mean the microswitch for the latch? If so that is used for dropping the windows down/up when the top is opened or closed. May be used for other things, but it is absolutely used for that. I dont think it has anything to do an occupancy sensor (if one even exists)

Dont know what year yours is (put in signature it helps us help you).
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
Do you mean the microswitch for the latch? If so that is used for dropping the windows down/up when the top is opened or closed. May be used for other things, but it is absolutely used for that. I dont think it has anything to do an occupancy sensor (if one even exists)

Dont know what year yours is (put in signature it helps us help you).
Yes, the micro switch for the convertible latch. The latch works perfectly dropping the windows. I read in the Bentley manual that if the convertible top is down and you lock the car, it turns off the occupancy sensor - I'm not sure if my car has one but trying to figure out what else to check.

New to Durametric - there isn't any place where you can see the current states of the various latches, right? I simply want to see which latch the car thinks isn't closed.

BTW, thanks for pointing out I should add a signature - done!