Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2006, 12:09 PM   #1

Where would or wouldn't you leave it?

At went to the Patriot's game last night with some buddies. We ended up be directed to park right behind a new Caymen. I chatted briefly with the woman that owned. She loves it BTW! It was a gift to her by her male companion(she must be very good).

Anyway I got to thinking. I would not ever bring my Porsche to the stadium parking lot. Just wouldn't. Same with a mall lot.

Am I too cautious?? Maybe she has the right idea. Just drive it everywhere and enjoy. It sure would have been nice to come after the game and hop in and go get stuck in the traffic jam.

Old 08-20-2006, 12:34 PM   #2

I might not take it to a sporting event because you have zero control over where you can park, or how safe it is while you're gone, but for the most part I say drive it. I have a couple of "show cars" (not Porsches) and I have to be honest; they are not fun. Every time I roll one out of the garage, I'm in a complete state of panic until I get it back home.

Oh My God! There's a cloud up there!

Oh No! A puddle!

This guy's following me too close!

Where the hell am I gonna park this thing?

It's really not worth it. Yeah, it's awesome on show day, if you don't have an aneurysm on the way, but most of the time it's pure stress. With the Box, or my Mach 1, I decided to drive the crap out of them. That's what your insurance company and Dent Doctors are for.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet

Last edited by Grizzly; 08-20-2006 at 12:38 PM.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:44 PM   #3

I don't have a dent or scratch yet. I park in a garage at the office. Never used Dent Doctors.

But the thought of a bunch of drunken wound up doods on a boyz night out streaming out into the parking lot sounds risky.

A friend had his BMW parked on a street in Boston on a Sat. night. Somebody punched out the passenger side window. Didn't steal anything just broke a window and prove a point.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:54 PM   #4

I would park it at the mall if the spot's not very small.

I would park it at a bar but not near another car.

I would parallel park it on the street so the doors don't get beat.

I would park it out of site but never over night.

But I would never,ever, ever park it at a game cuz that's just really..... stupid.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
I would park it at the mall if the spot's not very small.

I would park it at a bar but not near another car.

I would parallel park it on the street so the doors don't get beat.

I would park it out of site but never over night.

But I would never,ever, ever park it at a game cuz that's just really..... stupid.

Damn, that is pretty good, Denver Suess! The scary part is that it didn't take you very long to come up with it.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:40 PM   #6

I see Porsches, Mercs, Bimmers, Lexuses (Lexi?) and all manner of $60k+ SUVs parked in the airport parking garage for days at a time.

This ain't no $200k Ferrari or priceless diamond. Drive it and park it where you please. If necessary, let the insurance company pay YOU for a change, and then go buy a new one.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:34 PM   #7

Cautious enjoyment

I think it's a matter of how much you care for the car. Not how much the car is worth in dollars. I tend to be very careful with my toys (phone, PDA, camera, cars, et c.) and like to keep them looking as new as possible.

I avoid taking the car to the mall or stadiums and work. I have a second car. But there are those days when I itch to take the Porsche, then I would park far, in the middle of nowhere, or in a big corner space.

As far as getting your money back from insurance companies. Sure, if your car was stolen and not recovered, then it's worth it. But I dread the smaller things (broken windows/lights, being keyed, deep door dings, et c.) that would be more of a hassle, and perhaps not worth claiming due to the deductible.
coiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:21 PM   #8

Hi,

Hey... it's just a car and you have insurance. Take it wherever you want. If you're that paranoid, you should have never bought it to begin with.

I realize that for many, this is their first real car and so it's understandable that they'd have some apprehension. But, once you've owned numerous classics, performance cars and the like, you realize that it's not worth being held hostage by a machine.

I drive my Esprit and park it anywhere (to be sure not under a tree where birds can do their thing or up close to a supermarket), same with my Boxster, I just use common sense. If it gets dinged or scratched, that's the way it goes.

A friend who just got a GT-40 (FANTASTIC RIDE!!!) to go along with his 996 Turbo, Esprit V8, Europa, M3, Supercharged Works Mini and Gen 2 MR2 (Yea, he's a Surgeon) and I went to lunch and he just pulled in and didn't even lock it. Life's too short to worry about what could happen. Don't worry... Be Happy!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:31 PM   #9

I agree with coiguy. It's not about the monetary value, or that we're too wrapped up in something that's "just a car." Some people like their things to be in tip-top shape. So if you can avoid dings, jerks, and bird crap to take care of your ride, do what you gotta. Being cautious helps with 2 things. A) It keeps the car looking good, B) It keeps me from wasting money on things like dent removal, touch-up paint, and deductibles.

Granted, if I were... say, a surgeon, it would be easier for me to be a bit more care free about where I park it because it's easier for me to afford to repair it more frequently. Or maybe a door ding would be enough reason to get a new car?
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:20 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I used to be super protective of the car when I first got it. I told my parents "let me take your cars,I don't want mine to get dinged",and they always let me use theirs.
Then I got a couple of doors dings at work,and a scratch and I started thinking...."What did I buy this for? To sit in the garage or cruise?".

That was the end of that.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:53 AM   #11

I agree with Jeph and coiguy as it's not about monetary value. Some people like their things to be in top shape (perfectionist if I may say) and some are attached to their toys. Sure, insurance may replace the car with new one, but it's not the same car that you originally looked, bought, and loved in the first place.

I would try to avoid at all cost taking the boxs out to groceries, sports game or to concerts (grocery carts, hooligans in sports game, drunks in concerts). I take my second car, or just go by train and walk.

I take the boxs out for out of town enjoyment such as going to hot springs, to park, to lake etc). As for parking outside in crowded or dangerous area, I don't mind spending extra $ for better parking spots such as underground or valet.

Enjoy the car, but like Jim said, just use your common sense for these things and you'll be fine. If you don't like getting scratch, prevent it if you can, and if you don't mind getting scratch, then it's no problemo.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:04 AM   #12

I agree with threpwood. Don't have many dents or scratches so I'm more cautious in any parking lots. Try to park away from others when possible but I take the Boxster most places.
airboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:28 AM   #13

I drive it everywhere but I certainly don't park it everywhere.

A little prevention will save you a trip to the ding guy and that's if
you are lucky enough to have him capable of fixing it. Matching silver paint
can turn into a night mare.

Even if I have to park at the furthest part of the lot I do it. I try to keep
it so that only one side is next to another car and park as far away from
it as possible. And any sensible woman would never cry about walking a
few more minutes with you. I've even offered the really nice ones to drop her off directly in front while I park. If she says "no don't worry I'll walk with you" well you that one's a keeper!

p.s.
Chicks in CaymanS's... wow that's my kind of lady.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:40 AM   #14

I take it most places but wouldn't take it into Fenway Park. Some lots pack you in like sardines so you literally have no way to exit a vehicle without touching doors. Gilette Stadium is a bit better but you always have the drunk a**holes who like to key stuff especially when they're with all there buddies.

Boston is rough on any car. You often see cars paralleled parked with bumpers touching. SUV's and 4x4 pickups far outnumber cars.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:22 AM   #15

Having no experience towing nice cars, I'd like to hear more about car covers. Do you tie them down to prevent flapping and scratching paint?

Read a lot of good stuff in this thread. I admit to being an inveterate worrier ("perfectionist"). Repaired dings are never the same. Still I would not let the Box sit in the garage for fear SOMETHING MIGHT HAPPEN.

Wife and I get good exercise hiking from the far reaches of parking areas. And like Perfectlap's best ladies, she's never taken the offer to get out at the entrance. Well, once last week in 95 degree heat.

I'd park in well-lighted areas visible to plenty of people. And combat park so you can't get hemmed in.

Last, I'd not make any unnecessary stops. Roadside parks generally have trailer areas for pitstops. And drive-thru feeding stops remove one more threat element.

Good luck on your trip.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Sixter
Having no experience towing nice cars, I'd like to hear more about car covers. Do you tie them down to prevent flapping and scratching paint?
NEVER tow a vehicle with a car cover on it. No matter how tightly you think you've got it down it will still flap. That flapping can wear the paint off in a heartbeat!

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:39 AM   #17

Don’t take to heart those who scorn you over your concern for your Box; it’s just a part of who you are. You enjoy the exhilarating performance of one of the best sports cars in the world and your enjoyment of your Porsche is enhanced by its clean, dent free, ding free, scratch fee condition. It’s simply a beautiful car in looks and performance so why not protect your “investment” whenever your can?

So for my money, I go any place want but try to choose my parking wisely. When at malls and at work, I tend to park way out back on the perimeter away from everybody. If that’s not an option, I try to find the widest space and park directly in the middle. If that’s out I look for a space that’s near a late model Benz or other expensive car. I also look for an end parking space so I can cheat a little and put the outside wheels a whisker over the line. All of this is simply to protect from somebody parking too close and accidentally opening their car door into me.

To me, the sardine-like parking around Fenway would be out of the question. Besides, watching the Sox lose is tough enough; on top of that, finding a fresh ding in the door would send most people over the top! Save Fenway and Gilette parking for the “bone” you drive in the off season.

Perfectlap and 70Sixter, good posts.

Last edited by Biz-z Z; 08-21-2006 at 09:42 AM.
Biz-z Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz-z Z
... So for my money, I go any place want but try to choose my parking wisely. When at malls and at work, I tend to park way out back on the perimeter away from everybody...

Perfectlap and 70Sixter, good posts.
Hi,

This practice can have the unfortunate side effect of a greater potential for Vandalism because the Car will stand out. Not usually a thief, but some kid who wants to key the Car his circumstances don't allow him to own. Park with everyone else, but pick your space wisely and choose one next to another late model car who's owner is also probably concerned about door dings and scrapes. This where a little Herd mentality can be an asset...

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

This practice can have the unfortunate side effect of a greater potential for Vandalism because the Car will stand out. Not usually a thief, but some kid who wants to key the Car his circumstances don't allow him to own. Park with everyone else, but pick your space wisely and choose one next to another late model car who's owner is also probably concerned about door dings and scrapes. This where a little Herd mentality can be an asset...

That's a good point. I still think you're taking a chance parking next to a late model car that's cared for... who knows how long it will be there and what will park to it next.

Have you ever noticed when you park further than everyone else (but not THE furthest) there's frequently a car next to you when you get back?

I believe in the NEVER TAKE 2 SPOTS principal. That eggs people on. I do as Biz-z Z does though, parking over the line on an end spot.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
That's a good point. I still think you're taking a chance parking next to a late model car that's cared for... who knows how long it will be there and what will park to it next.

Have you ever noticed when you park further than everyone else (but not THE furthest) there's frequently a car next to you when you get back?

I believe in the NEVER TAKE 2 SPOTS principal. That eggs people on. I do as Biz-z Z does though, parking over the line on an end spot.

MNBosxter—I hear ya. I hasten to add that I would not park way out on the perimeter at night as I agree with you the Box would be easy prey.

Jeph- How right you are! A lot of times it seems when I park away from the crowd the Box somehow develops friends and sometimes not the ones I would really like! I admit a long, long time ago with another car I used to take 2 spaces. But, with the proper medication and an abundance of rehab I am now cured of that loathsome habit.