986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Rock chipped windshield (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/7163-rock-chipped-windshield.html)

BeechSierra 08-23-2006 06:02 AM

Rock chipped windshield

Our 987 has abut 5500 miles on it and we just got hit by a rock that caused a small chip in the windshield. We'd rather not replace the windshield as the chip is small. What's the best repair method?

bmussatti 08-23-2006 07:15 AM

BeechSierra, depending on the size and location, repairs work great! Contact your insurance company or look in your local "yellow pages" for 'windshield repair'. Your insurance company may pay the entire amount; without a deductible, usually about $75 for a repair.

I agree with you, I would not want to replace the entire windshield either.

Good luck!

Sorry to hear about this happening.

Do some searches on the forum, as this has been reviewed in the past, too.

bmussatti 08-23-2006 07:30 AM

BeechSierra, sorry, but I am going to highjack this thread a little bit, and ask a question of some of the legal minded members of the forum.

What if this rock that chipped BeechSierra's windshield can off of a truck, hauling gravel? If you could get this truck to pullover, could you make a damage claim against that driver?

Or, what if the truck just pulled out of a construction area, and did not "clear" its tire treads, and a stone gets loose from his dirty tires, and then the rock/stone smacks your windshield?

Or one more, what if a car or truck has a tire blowout, and part of the tire hits your car and does damage?

denverpete 08-23-2006 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
BeechSierra, sorry, but I am going to highjack this thread a little bit, and ask a question of some of the legal minded members of the forum.

What if this rock that chipped BeechSierra's windshield can off of a truck, hauling gravel? If you could get this truck to pullover, could you make a damage claim against that driver?

Or, what if the truck just pulled out of a construction area, and did not "clear" its tire treads, and a stone gets loose from his dirty tires, and then the rock/stone smacks your windshield?

Or one more, what if a car or truck has a tire blowout, and part of the tire hits your car and does damage?

In the instance of a gravel truck - they are legally responsible for any damages. My favorite is the "Stay back 500' - Not Responsible for Broken Windshields" signs on the backs of these trucks. They're great because, well, they are responsible and putting a sign on the truck doesn't alleviate that obligation.

I'd think it's probably less clear, legally, regarding the stone from a truck tire or a blowout....

bmussatti 08-23-2006 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denverpete
In the instance of a gravel truck - they are legally responsible for any damages. My favorite is the "Stay back 500' - Not Responsible for Broken Windshields" signs on the backs of these trucks. They're great because, well, they are responsible and putting a sign on the truck doesn't alleviate that obligation.

I'd think it's probably less clear, legally, regarding the stone from a truck tire or a blowout....

I've never seen the "stay back..." sign, maybe because I do stay back when I see those guys! :eek:

Good luck trying to get one to pull over, though.

BeechSierra 08-23-2006 03:46 PM

Search turned up little but thanks for all the input. Problem solved.

RandallNeighbour 08-23-2006 06:01 PM

I've got a thousand little chips in my windshield from 9 years of high speed driving. No cracks or bullseyes though. Can these be repaired or filled in?

denverpete 08-23-2006 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I've got a thousand little chips in my windshield from 9 years of high speed driving. No cracks or bullseyes though. Can these be repaired or filled in?

I don't think they can fix widespread pitting. But small dings or cracks are easily repaired....

Grizzly 08-23-2006 07:19 PM

I had a star chip repaired on my Mustang GT and I'm not at all happy with it. While the repair has stopped the star from extending, it is by no means invisible. To me, it looks about the same as it did before the repair. I need to replace the windshield, but I have to find a Carlite replacement at a reasonable price. Carlite glass costs about 3 times as much as an aftermarket replacement. And you thought highway robbery was exclusive to Porsche.

As for the truck scenario, you don't have to pull the truck over; just record the tag number, company name, asset number from the truck if it has one and the date and time of occurrence. Contact the company first to see if they'll cooperate with you. If not, call your insurance company and turn the information over to them.

Tool Pants 08-23-2006 08:36 PM

Well, at least you all have a windshield. :eek:

edevlin 08-24-2006 04:30 AM

New Windshield

"I've got a thousand little chips in my windshield from 9 years of high speed driving. No cracks or bullseyes though. Can these be repaired or filled in?"

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour

I also had lots of little chips in the windshield of my 2000 Boxster. Our insurance covers windshields with no deductable, so I just got a new one installed. It was pretty interesting to watch. The glass shop does all the windshields for our local Porsche dealer. It took almost three hours for the install, but it is a treat to have a clear windshield, definately recommended, especially if covered by insurance.

BTW, they listed the cost for parts and labor at just under 800.00. I asked the installer if the windshields for Porsches are more expensive to replace than a Toyota or Honda. He said yes and no. Yes, they are more expensive because they have to buy the windshields from the Porsche dealer. If he had to buy the windshields from the Toyota or Honda dealers they would be just as expensive, but there are OEM windshields that he can get for those other cars which are lots cheaper.

Ed

2000 Boxster 2.7L
New Windshield
New Michellin's

johne4 08-24-2006 09:02 AM

Got a rock chip on my windshield a couple month ago on my 2000 Boxster, I opted to have it repair versus replacing it. No complaints, virtually invisible. Insurance covered it, detuctible was waived, $49 billed to the insurance company.

Good luck having the trucking company take responsibility, I was able to get the plate number and company information. Contacted the trucking company, they stated it couln't be their truck since they didn't have one on that highway at that time. Call the FHP to file a report, first thing they ask was do you have a third party witness........no.........sorry, filling a report is useless, since the trucking company will deny they had a truck on the road at that specific point and time........10-4, hear you loud and clear......called my insurance agent, she chuclkled when I told her I tried to get the truck company to pay for it........

denverpete 08-24-2006 09:07 AM

Hey - keep in mind I'm just saying that they are technically responsible regardless of whether or not they have a sign on the back of their truck saying "Not Responsible for Broken Windshields".

Obviously - getting them to pay is another story....

jeffsquire 08-26-2006 08:23 AM

liability

Call the FHP to file a report, first thing they ask was do you have a third party witness........no.........sorry, filling a report is useless, since the trucking company will deny they had a truck on the road at that specific point and time........10-4,
-----------------------------------------------------------------

This is complete horsepucky, nonsense and general bullsh@t laziness on the part of your civil servant. It is not necessary to produce an "independent witness" to pursue any civil infraction, crime or other general liability ; this is for the most part hokum. They might as well demand you produce DNA, videotapes, fingerprints, blue flames, dripping green goo from petrie dishes and other CSI type-stuff. having an "independent witness" helps, but again, it's not necessary.

THe FHP just didnt want to file a report! PERIOD!! You can demand they fill out a report anyway.

Regarding liability, much depends on the state. In Michigan if the stone/pebble/pothole caused injury to a person or property occured on a public thoroughfare and was obvious for 30 days, then the municipality/jurisdiction may be liable.

I agree with the other posts about the trucking company. THey'll usually deny it but don't let that stop you. That's what courts are for. 90% of all cases involve one party saying something about the other and vice versa without much coroboration.

rdynamix 08-30-2006 07:25 PM

I too have a case of the chips...

I have one on the AUDI and one on the Porsche. I had the AUDI chip repaired and after 2h the chip looks exactly the same. Insurance company paid for it, but it really did not change a thing.

BeechSierra 08-31-2006 06:25 AM

My dealership recommended a local repairer and the work seems to be holding nicely. The system used was called "Novus" and I was told it is a patented system. Additionally, you have to understand there are many factors that have a negative effect on the any chip repair.

First there is the system used, they are not all the same. True the basic idea is to create a vacuum then inject a clear resin but the equipment used and the user can have a big impact on the success.

Second, how soon after the chip was the repair done. If the chip gets water in it from rain, washing or windshield wiper's fluid, the chip is less likely to be successfully sealed.

Third is the size and nature of the chip. If it really "spiders" quickly (and I'm talking an eigth inch here) the job gets more difficult.

Fourth is proper curing. Most of the resins used are cured by UV rays and need proper curing time and technique.

Hope this helps. The job done on our Boxster was the day after the damage and the repairs are virtually invisible. It has been several days now and it still looks good.

Flexin 09-04-2006 04:47 PM

Just take it to a show and have them repair it. IMO bulls eyes finish up the best. In the end you just have a small white dot where the break was. Thats if all the air was removed. If it wasn't your still going to see some black bubbles or lines. Most spider cracks will leave thin white legs (black before the repair) if all the air is removed from the break. I picked up a car about a month ago that had to chips repaired by someone else a year or two before. They looked bad so I redid them. They are hard to find now. You just need someone that knows what they are doing.

James

jeffsquire 09-05-2006 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeechSierra
Our 987 has abut 5500 miles on it and we just got hit by a rock that caused a small chip in the windshield. We'd rather not replace the windshield as the chip is small. What's the best repair method?

Call the insurance company. They probably have a list of shops who can repair the glass.