986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Discussion , oil level.....not oil (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/71594-discussion-oil-level-not-oil.html)

Pdwight 04-01-2018 09:19 PM

Discussion , oil level.....not oil

My 01 has always been pretty accurate on the auto oil level when checking it against the actual dipstick. Recently I did my spring oil change and new filter, poured in my 9 quarts of DT40 , now the level indicator shows low by a small amount and the dipstick shows it at the top level ??

Lucky for me my car has never used a drop of oil between changes, I always change the oil at 3K miles even back when using Mobil 1...anyone else experienced this.

Starter986 04-02-2018 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdwight (Post 566791)
My 01 has always been pretty accurate on the auto oil level when checking it against the actual dipstick. Recently I did my spring oil change and new filter, poured in my 9 quarts of DT40 , now the level indicator shows low by a small amount and the dipstick shows it at the top level ??

Lucky for me my car has never used a drop of oil between changes, I always change the oil at 3K miles even back when using Mobil 1...anyone else experienced this.

That's interesting. And, as an aside, I'm hoping I didn't eff up something so simple as an oil change...

Likewise... my 98 burns zero oil (118,500 miles), and I'm 4K oil change.

Last weekend I changed, myself and for the first time, the oil and filter on my 98 Boxster. Upon completion I put in 9 quarts... took a reading (from the dipstick)... and it was a little low. Before I added the .3 quart I took a reading from the dash (key on, no start)... and the bars were just to the top of the line... leaving me an extra bar.

Now... when I had purchased the car I took it to an indy and had him change the oil, giving him 10 quarts and he returned around .7. At that time and since all the bars have been lit whenever I checked the reading electronically...

So I added the .3 quart. Level on the dipstick satisfied me. Checked the dash reading... and it still left me with one bar.

Took the car out a few times last week, maybe added 100 miles. One bar remained unlit. Yesterday, before going on a drive, the dash gave a reading of all the bars, and I hadn't added any oil.

I've read that the dipstick reading is the only way to go, and I'm more inclined to do so moving forward instead of relying on a dash light.

To answer your question, yes. :dance:

10/10ths 04-02-2018 02:39 AM

Only accurate reading is on the dipstick after the car has been sitting for three days on level ground. It’s a flat engine. Takes a few days for ALL of the oil to drain down.

Pdwight 04-02-2018 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10/10ths (Post 566802)
Only accurate reading is on the dipstick after the car has been sitting for three days on level ground. It’s a flat engine. Takes a few days for ALL of the oil to drain down.

That is always how I have done it for 5 years now.....certainly 9 quarts has always left it full in the past.

NewArt 04-02-2018 08:03 AM

The dash gauge is very vague in mine. It can show anything from 2 bars to full bars depending on how long it's been sitting, where it is, and whether it's a nice day. Dipstick seems to work fine.

kirkandorules 04-02-2018 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 566834)
The dash gauge is very vague in mine. It can show anything from 2 bars to full bars depending on how long it's been sitting, where it is, and whether it's a nice day. Dipstick seems to work fine.

Same, mine is always all over the place. Made me nervous a few times when I first got the car.

Blackcloud 04-02-2018 11:33 AM

I like to leave mine just short of full because I autocross the car. Don't want an overfill situation and foul the AOS. My indie gold level Porsche mechanic agrees.

911monty 04-02-2018 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10/10ths (Post 566802)

I have heard a rumor this is only true on the American version of the Special Edition. No other Boxster has the ability to detect the additional few drops after the first 24 hours. All other owners should follow their owners manual for detailed instruction on checking oil.

78F350 04-02-2018 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 911monty (Post 566854)
I have heard a rumor this is only true on the American version of the Special Edition. No other Boxster has the ability to detect the additional few drops after the first 24 hours....

It's true, but the feature only works if you use the more expensive self-leveling oil.

Geof3 04-02-2018 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78F350 (Post 566856)
It's true, but the feature only works if you use the more expensive self-leveling oil.

HAHA! Yeah, my 02 is pretty dead on within a few minutes on the stick. Interesting though you put in 9+ quarts. Even with my oil pump drained and filter (updated the plunger) Mine was "full" at about 8.75 give or take.

10/10ths 04-02-2018 07:44 PM

Har....

...thats funny right there.

Do what you will, I'm telling you these cars are hurt more by OVER filling than by under filling.

Folks go on a trip and freak out when the digital gauge shows empty at a fuel stop and they throw another quart in there. They are over filling and blowing their AOS.

Happens all the time and is one reason so many AOS blow.

And, why yes, my American market SE is filled with all sorts of unique features.

:p:p

oldskool73 04-02-2018 08:03 PM

"and the bars were just to the top of the line... leaving me an extra bar." ... as I understood it, vagueness of the indicator not withstanding, the bars should be up to the line but not above. The top bar being lit is an indication it's overfilled?

Pdwight 04-02-2018 08:04 PM

Witness Mark

I will always trust the witness mark on the dipstick more than the generated bar graph, I have always used 9 quarts on oil changes with a new filter of course every time. I also let the car drain for 20 minutes before I put the magnetic plug back in.

Geof3 04-02-2018 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldskool73 (Post 566893)
"and the bars were just to the top of the line... leaving me an extra bar." ... as I understood it, vagueness of the indicator not withstanding, the bars should be up to the line but not above. The top bar being lit is an indication it's overfilled?

Nope... just depends. Mine shows full to the very top mark with the dipstick at the full level. And is important to keep levels topped up, but as stated, over full leads to problems, as it does in most engines. But the AOS makes these motors a bit more sensitive to overfilling.

particlewave 04-02-2018 09:52 PM

I'm not sure what's wrong with your cars, but my dash gauge always matches the dipstick at cold startup.

dijinn 04-03-2018 02:47 AM

When I got my car back from FSI, one of the first things discussed was oil level. Guidance given was to check oil level only after the car sat overnight and to use the electronic gauge. Difference between the bottom of the e-gauge and the top is equivalent to <1 quart and if indicator was mid-to-top of the gauge, just leave it alone and don't try to top it off. Reason that overfilling is more dangerous than underfilling. For the last few years, I have been filling to 1 or 2 bars from the top of the e-gauge and have had no issues.

Pdwight 04-03-2018 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 566900)
I'm not sure what's wrong with your cars, but my dash gauge always matches the dipstick at cold startup.

Mine did until I changed to DT40

MWS 04-03-2018 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 566834)

Mine isn't that vague, but it does vary by a couple lines. Also, on a note to where things are heading...both our Audis don't even have dipsticks, just the electronic level (which I don't completely trust). The decision to remove the option of the owner checking oil is astounding, confusing, and just plain dumb. Next step...needing a special tool to open the hood. Grrrrr...

Anker 04-03-2018 12:29 PM

Remember that most car owners are idiots who wouldn't even know what a dipstick is, let alone how to use it. An electronic oil level with a warning when it gets low is as idiot proof you can make it. Remember that idiots tend to sue the manufacturer when their idiocy gets them in trouble.

More and more cars come without dipsticks.

Geof3 04-03-2018 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anker (Post 566953)
Remember that most car owners are idiots who wouldn't even know what a dipstick is, let alone how to use it. An electronic oil level with a warning when it gets low is as idiot proof you can make it. Remember that idiots tend to sue the manufacturer when their idiocy gets them in trouble.

More and more cars come without dipsticks.

The electronic gauge (unless faulty) is good enough to know if you are inside or outside the range of reasonable. The only time (and I think this might be in the manual) to really know the proper level on the inside gauge is at cold startup systems check. And as PWave mentioned, mine too is right on with the dipstick.