Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2018, 07:52 PM   #1
Who's askin'?

How can I tell if IMS has been replaced?

Hey all. Thanks for your help: a search didn't yield much to this specific question.

My new-to-me 2003 boxster S has over 140k miles on it. While it has some items I'm going to get to immediately (after 3 other projects are done, haha), I don't know if IMS needs to be on that list.
Is there a tattle - tale for a car that's had this done already? Any way to easily inspect and determine?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:00 PM   #2

Only way is if there happens to be the IMS Solution installed. There is a register for that setup, other than that, the trans has to be pulled. If it has been changed, you might be able to ID by the flange cover, but really, the only way to tell is to take the whole thing apart. Clutch, RMS and what not are the things to do while there. At that mileage, tough call what to do. If not a tip (auto) and the clutch is good, it is unlikely the clutch is original, and most people at least inspect the IMS for issues, and usually replace at the time.

Another thing that is possibly tell tale, and well documented, is to inspect your oil filter for metal, and get a run down on cam deviation with a purchased durametric, or take it to a dealer/shop to do a full engine diagnostics.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:44 AM   #3

Garage
No way to know

My understanding having just replaced mine, there is no way really to know whether your IMS is original, good or bad shape, single or double row, without pulling it . And checking for shavings in the oil filter will only tell you if it’s too late. If you have reason to believe it has been replaced with an LN Engineering IMS bearing, you can check with them. If the bearing was registered properly they can tell you. They also provide adhesive number plates with their bearing that owners apply next to the VIN plate and in door sills.

At 140k, I’d just enjoy the car until you need a clutch. Then replace the bearing.
sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:59 AM   #4
Who's askin'?

thanks to both of you for your responses. I've purchased a durametric with the intent of checking cam deviation. I just need to get some honey -do's out of my garage first! Haha.

Great thought about the clutch being non - original. The car seems to have been well maintained, so it's possible the ims was done at a clutch change. since that makes me feel better, I'ma go with that. Haha.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
thanks to both of you for your responses. I've purchased a durametric with the intent of checking cam deviation. I just need to get some honey -do's out of my garage first! Haha.

Great thought about the clutch being non - original. The car seems to have been well maintained, so it's possible the ims was done at a clutch change. since that makes me feel better, I'ma go with that. Haha.

As it is impossible to tell without taking the car apart, if you have no paperwork showing it was done, and your VIN is not on LN's website data base, assume it has not been done. We get cars in all the time with the same question, and the only sustainable answer is, "No provenance, no retrofit....".
Old 03-23-2018, 07:16 AM   #6

Yeah, I kind of wrote more about steps to a possible diagnosis of a potential problem, not so much a confirmation, or not, of a new bearing install. Sorry if that was confusing. It was late!
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #7

For the record

The LN database is accessed here.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:10 AM   #8

First check if it has a replacement engine or not.
square-root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 04:02 PM   #9
Bryan

I'm interested to hear if anyone else has heard of this but when I bought my '99, I immediately took it to a certified Porsche mechanic to have the IMS done. The first thing the mechanic did (before it wss even in the engine bay) was check along the inside of drivers side door for a sticker which Porsche mechanics apparently apply that indicates the if/when the IMS had previously been replaced and date the work was done. He told me this because he said they are supposed to be replaced every 6 years and it's a time thing not mileage. I dunno, maybe start be checking for this sticker/stamp, you might luck out.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxterity View Post
I'm interested to hear if anyone else has heard of this but when I bought my '99, I immediately took it to a certified Porsche mechanic to have the IMS done. The first thing the mechanic did (before it wss even in the engine bay) was check along the inside of drivers side door for a sticker which Porsche mechanics apparently apply that indicates the if/when the IMS had previously been replaced and date the work was done. He told me this because he said they are supposed to be replaced every 6 years and it's a time thing not mileage. I dunno, maybe start be checking for this sticker/stamp, you might luck out.
.................................................. .
Old 03-23-2018, 05:41 PM   #11

Quote:
The sticker would be there if (1) They used an LN Engineering retrofit, and (2) If they took the time to register the installation with LN. Then the VIN would be searchable in the LN online database as well.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:48 PM   #12

The sticker is for LN IMSB replacements and could also be under the trunk lid. It looks like this -

But not all installers enter their LN IMSB upgrades into the database. Mine wasn't entered, but I have my receipt, my sticker and my original IMSB. I don't know if all the manufacturers of IMSB upgrades provide stickers or databases like LN does. And even if there is a sticker, you'd still need to know that the same engine that had the IMSB replaced is still in the car. There are lots of other ways that these engines can fail besides the IMSB. JFB in PA is right about provenance.

Quote:
I'm interested to hear if anyone else has heard of this but when I bought my '99, I immediately took it to a certified Porsche mechanic to have the IMS done. The first thing the mechanic did (before it was even in the engine bay) was check along the inside of drivers side door for a sticker which Porsche mechanics apparently apply that indicates the if/when the IMS had previously been replaced and date the work was done. He told me this because he said they are supposed to be replaced every 6 years and it's a time thing not mileage. I dunno, maybe start be checking for this sticker/stamp, you might luck out.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The sticker would be there if (1) They used an LN Engineering retrofit, and (2) If they took the time to register the installation with LN. Then the VIN would be searchable in the LN online database as well.
I had the tool and the retrofit sent direct to my mechanic in 2012. He did the install but did not register it nor did he affix the sticker. I have the paperwork from the installation and receipt from LN. I wish I had known then what I know now...
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:20 PM   #14
Who's askin'?

Thanks everyone, for your responses. looks like There's a few things I can check.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:00 PM   #15
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Another thing that is possibly tell tale, and well documented, is to inspect your oil filter for metal, and get a run down on cam deviation with a purchased durametric, or take it to a dealer/shop to do a full engine diagnostics.
So I checked cam deviation this evening:
Position 1: 1.66
Position 2: 0.80
There is NO fluctuation as I rev the motor.
I'll be honest: with 147k miles on the car, I expected to see something quite a bit worse than that.... which makes me wonder if I did this right? hahaha.

What does this suggest? Does it suggest someone's been into the motor? (remembering that this car is new to me less than 2k miles ago)
Old 09-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #16
Who's askin'?

I replaced the IMS bearing this month. So I was checking CAM deviation today: about DOUBLE what it was BEFORE I changed the bearing. I've got numbers at 2.47 (position 1) and 1.27 (position 2).
what gives?

sunnuva..... I knew I should've just left it alone. the bearing with 147k on it was BEAUTIFUL.