Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2018, 05:00 PM   #1

which should i consider

I have been looking to get another Porsche and decided to go with a Boxster this time. Question is should i go with a 2005 Boxster S with most of the options I would like to have PASM, sport chrono, power seats and a few others or a 2009 to 2012 Boxster with fewer options just to eliminate the IMS issue completely. Just not sure how much not having an S would make in enjoying the car. I know I would have to drive a base Boxster to really know myself but just trying to get some feedback from those that may of had both. Thanks

cojan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #2

I usually suggest avoiding the '05 model year due to unknowns in the IMS configuration. Some cars are have a serviceable IMS, some don't. Some have a single row, some have a double row. If these have been checked and documented on the car, of course, then go for it.

In my opinion, IMS is really only a serious concern on the single-row cars (mid-00 through mid-05), and in most cases those are easy-ish to replace - a handful of the 05s are the the exception.
kirkandorules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:01 PM   #3

I don't think any of the 05's had double row, just the earlier single row (like my 2001 S) or the larger unserviceable single row...

But I could be wrong...
Old 03-19-2018, 06:16 AM   #4
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDog View Post
I don't think any of the 05's had double row, just the earlier single row (like my 2001 S) or the larger unserviceable single row...

But I could be wrong...
You are not wrong.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:39 AM   #5

Garage
It all about

If you are thinking or suggesting that a 2005 S $$$$ is the same as a 2009-20012 Base $$$ --- I don't think they are

If So-- get the 2012. Has almost as much power as the 05 S and no IMSB
Done - That was easy
Old 03-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDog View Post

But I could be wrong...
Whoops, you're right - I meant to say larger and not double-row. Had a "double row" synonymous with "not known to fail often" thing stuck in my head...

Last edited by kirkandorules; 03-19-2018 at 10:58 AM.
kirkandorules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #7
2007 Cayman S

If you can afford a 2009, which is the first year of the non IMSB, do that, and eliminate that potential problem. If you need to buy an earlier Boxster, make sure that the IMSB update has already been installed, or plan to do it immediately after you get the car (about $2k). There may be a lot of hype about this, but why gamble - make it a non-issue and then enjoy! Good luck.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:39 PM   #8

Thanks for all the feedback. I really need to find a base 2009 to 2012 near me to test drive and see if that is enough for me. That way I will know if i need to put more down and go for an S and just have the IMSB as a non issue. Not finding many near by unless I want to drive an hour or so just to test drive. I'll keep looking for something to turn up.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:58 AM   #9

The larger single row is serviceable by removing the grease seal and allow the bearing to be lubricated by oil immersion and oil vapor. Reference. No hurry, do it when replacing the clutch. If the engine is ever apart for a total rebuild, a flat bearing with external oil source lubrication is possible.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojan666 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I really need to find a base 2009 to 2012 near me to test drive and see if that is enough for me. That way I will know if i need to put more down and go for an S and just have the IMSB as a non issue. Not finding many near by unless I want to drive an hour or so just to test drive. I'll keep looking for something to turn up.
So I've flirted with a 2010 base car off and on as its been for sale on at a local Lincoln/Hyundai dealer. A couple of weeks ago I stopped by and the sales person let me take the car out by myself (one of the benefits of getting older). I know the 2010 car is within a few HP of my 2000S but wanted to see how it felt.

I didn't dog the car but played with it a bit after letting it warm up. The car felt nice and tight, with firm suspension and nice brake action. As for acceleration, the car was plenty quick but the biggest difference I notice was torque. My car seems to pull stronger, even at lower revs compared to the 2010. Don't get me wrong, the 2010 is very quick once the revs are up a bit an would be a blast to drive no doubt.

To me, its economics but thats a personal decision for each of us as to what's worth it and what to gain. I too was attracted to the idea of no IMS bearing and no direct injection and may well end up with an 09-10 base car at some point. Just not now.

Luckily, the car is now sold so I don't have to think about it anymore. Now there's a really nice '03 Carrera for sale by owner with only 52K miles that looks great that's gettable in the high teens. Decisions, decisions!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:03 AM   #11

I own 2 08 Ss and driven an 09 base extensively. Here is my opinion:

1st, avoid an 05 unless the IMS has already been changed or it is need of a clutch so you'll be in the IMS area to know which you have (older or newer design). Otherwise you're driving an unknown - maybe it will be OK, maybe it won't.

2nd, an 06-07 S will have 285hp while the 08 S has 295. A base 09-12 Box has 255hp. As was mentioned earlier, a base 987.2 does NOT have Direct Fuel Injection.

Now for the comparo. For 85% of normal usage, you won't notice the 30-40 hp difference. Granted, most of my mileage (1500 mi) in the 09 was interstate vs city driving, but it has plenty of power. Where you'll feel the difference would be on the track. Neither an 08S or an 09 base are stoplight drag race cars. If not having the extra hp will be a constant glitch in your ownership of a 987.2 base, then buy a 987.1S, as there's no easy way to add extra hp to a Porsche. The 09 I have is a 6spd manual, so I can't comment on how a PDK performs.

In typical Porsche fashion, they make the base model of the new version almost as good as the previous model's S version. It becomes an age old debate - last yr's S vs this yr's base. The big difference between the 987.1 vs the 987.2 is the lack of IMS. The Gen III IMS used in the 06-08 model yrs is virtually not a problem (1% failure), but not having one in the 987.2 results in 0% failure. There aren't a lot of 987.2 models around to test, so suggesting you go to your local dealer to test drive one isn't easy. But the best way to know is to drive one of each. I have and I don't see a glaring difference between them. YMMV depending on what your needs are.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 03-22-2018 at 09:42 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:28 PM   #12

I definitely plan to test drive one. Just finding the time and one that is not too far to test with. Most of what I've found is an hour away or more. If the weather holds for this Sunday and it's not sold I may take the trip and see how I like it. At least then I will know if I need to put more down to get the payments where I want them. I never should of gotten rid on my 02 911 TT. One of the biggest mistakes I've made at least for cars. I do appreciate all the responses and info everyone has provided.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojan666 View Post
I definitely plan to test drive one. Just finding the time and one that is not too far to test with. Most of what I've found is an hour away or more. If the weather holds for this Sunday and it's not sold I may take the trip and see how I like it. At least then I will know if I need to put more down to get the payments where I want them. I never should of gotten rid on my 02 911 TT. One of the biggest mistakes I've made at least for cars. I do appreciate all the responses and info everyone has provided.
Any car you get should have a PPI before by buy it.

Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote