Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2018, 11:20 AM   #1

Garage
Unbelievable...

Ahhh...the joys of being the 5th owner of a vehicle. Whoever did the surgery on this Stallion's eyes should be Porsche-Whipped...

The ever-elusive headlight weather strip...

:ah:

Andesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:29 AM   #2
MWS

Ahh...the joys of PO DIY's. All car sales should come with an "I'm sorry" note as well as a full list of things they should be sorry for...as well as contact info so you can call them up and point out everything they previously didn't include in their apology note.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #3

Oh my god.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:58 PM   #4

The tape on the wiring is due to the failure of the biodegradable insulation that Porsche and other German manufacturers used starting in the 1990s. You can read it about it here: https://jalopnik.com/5570865/11-terrible-automotive-engineering-decisions/ and here:Boxster headlamp assembly internal wiring

The repair is not too difficult, but it does require opening the headlight and replacing the offending wire.

Here's a video showing how to open up the headlight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sjOnfMHED0
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:25 PM   #5

Garage
bump

My first thread here on this forum...|-) I kinda like the suggestion by MWS. Biodegradable insulation? Really?? Meanwhile, 4 hours later in the psych ward:
Old 03-18-2018, 07:22 PM   #6

Hah, your PO should hang out with the guy who did the abomination of a stereo install in my car.
kirkandorules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
The tape on the wiring is due to the failure of the biodegradable insulation that Porsche and other German manufacturers used starting in the 1990s. You can read it about it here: https://jalopnik.com/5570865/11-terrible-automotive-engineering-decisions/ and here:Boxster headlamp assembly internal wiring

The repair is not too difficult, but it does require opening the headlight and replacing the offending wire.

Here's a video showing how to open up the headlight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sjOnfMHED0
Correct! I'll give the PO a partial pass on the headlight wiring. This issue essentially left me stranded on a trip when I'd stopped for gas. I couldn't get one of my headlights to work and was running out of daylight to try to figure out what was wrong.
I'm sure the next owner of my car might not understand if they ever have to dig into the lights. I used liquid electrical tape and regular electrical tape to insulate the same wires. It's been over three years now without an issue so I can't call it a kluge.

Maybe your PO just used the wrong type tape but I sure understand what they were trying to accomplish.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:49 AM   #8

Garage
Meanwhile, 4 hours later in the psych ward...|-)

Old 03-19-2018, 11:56 AM   #9

Looks great! Hopefully no more issues. Weird thing for me was that all the bad insulation was in one light assembly. The other looked fine!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:02 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Looks great! Hopefully no more issues. Weird thing for me was that all the bad insulation was in one light assembly. The other looked fine!
Lol...This is the same headlight, my first attempt at a DIY re-wire, hence the psych ward remark...|-)
Old 03-24-2018, 03:25 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post
Ahh...the joys of PO DIY's. All car sales should come with an "I'm sorry" note as well as a full list of things they should be sorry for...as well as contact info so you can call them up and point out everything they previously didn't include in their apology note.
LOL...In this case, I think they should have included a fire extinguisher...