986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Enclosed or Open Transport..? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/71342-enclosed-open-transport.html)

Gilles 03-10-2018 10:57 AM

Enclosed or Open Transport..?

By any chance someone heard of a company called Montway Auto Transport..?

They offered a somehow competitive rate to move a car from SC to So.Cal inside an enclosed trailer, but I don't have any experience shipping a vehicle.

BTW, the enclosed trailer cost considerably more than an open transport, and the dealer in SC says that 85% of their cars they ship to the west coast are sent on an open transport, any comments will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Regards,
Gilles

JFP in PA 03-10-2018 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilles (Post 564988)
By any chance someone heard of a company called Montway Auto Transport..?

They offered a somehow competitive rate to move a car from SC to So.Cal inside an enclosed trailer, but I don't have any experience shipping a vehicle.

BTW, the enclosed trailer cost considerably more than an open transport, and the dealer in SC says that 85% of their cars they ship to the west coast are sent on an open transport, any comments will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Regards,
Gilles

Use the enclosed transport, if you had ever seen the contion of a car after a cross country ride on and open transport (particularly in the dead of winter), you would know why.........

fastflyer 03-10-2018 01:40 PM

Feb 14 I was the successful bidder on Bring a Trailer for a 1972 Mercedes Benz. The car was in Phoenix and I'm in western Pa. It's a truly beautiful car. I had no experience moving a car that far so I started searching on line. Montway Transport is a broker. You pay the fee and they find you a shipper. Just about anyone you talk with is a broker. I ended up using Ship a Car Direct. Very good reviews and so easy to work with. They worked with the seller to schedule the pickup. The car was picked up on a Thursday and I had it in my garage that Monday afternoon. $1525.00 in an enclosed truck. Driver kept me updated all the way across the country and the car arrived in perfect condition. No way would I ship a car on an open trailer, especially this time of year. Hope this helps you in your move.

jrgill 03-11-2018 04:22 PM

I had my 986 shipped to me (first time doing so) on an open trailer early April of last year. I’d pay the extra next time for an enclosed trailer. It was an absolute mess when received. If you choose enclosed transport, not only will it be clean on delivery, it will be protected from anything else during the entire trip.

Gilles 03-11-2018 04:57 PM

enclosed trailer

Thank you guys for the comments, the car will definitely be shipped on the enclosed trailer.
So far I received two quotes, one for $1,500 and the other one for $1,800 I have not got the quote from the dealer yet.

Ciao 03-11-2018 05:36 PM

I shipped my Box from PA to Colorado enclosed so happy I paid the difference and shipped enclosed

zoomster1776 03-12-2018 07:09 AM

another vote for enclosed

experience talking ...

A8ked 03-12-2018 08:04 AM

A couple years ago I accidently bought a car in Philly on Ebay (the bid button is too easy to press) and shipped the car from Philly to Seattle on an open trailer.
NEVER AGAIN... It arrived so dirty I could not see out any of the windows! The entire car was covered in a heavy grey/black coating of dirt.

jdraupp 03-12-2018 12:01 PM

I used montway to get my boxster and cost friendly thinking I did a regular car hauler. I'd go enclosed of I did it again. The car was absolutely covered in dirt and snow. Montway however got the car quickly and quite professionally.

faverymi 03-12-2018 03:50 PM

Intercity or horseless carriage if you care. Enclosed. You deal with them directly, white glove treatment.

If you don't, then go to any shipping website and let the cheaper gypsy bid on the transport. Sometimes they are good sometimes not.

And that's the way it is in 2018

Jay B. 03-14-2018 05:20 PM

Dude, pay the extra price for a enclosed trailer or your car will look like it was tarred and feathered when delivered. Just sayin

mikesz 03-15-2018 03:02 AM

What Jay B. Said. We leased a white Honda Civic and has it shipped to Nashville. It was filthy when it got there. This was the second time we shipped her a car. Its a PITA if I do it again will go with white glove service, enclosed transport.

lcsdoug 03-15-2018 07:19 AM

enclosed

I used Montway to transport my 2007 Boxster from Portland,OR to Milwaukee. They picked OK Auto transport to do the job. I chose enclosed. They picked it up on the day they promised and it was delivered on the day they said. The car was covered in plastic inside the enclosed carrier. Clean and shiny no damage. Be aware that Montway is just a booking agent and not all carriers may be as careful as OK Auto was. I was very satisfied.