Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2006, 03:14 PM   #1

Help with Convertible Top Cleaner/Protectant

I've read conflicting reports concerning the effect of overspray from Ragg Top cleaner/protectant. Some say that the car must be masked very carfully to minimize overspray damage to the paint, while others say that the overspray can be wiped off with a microfiber towel after the protectant is applied. Also, my Boxster is now two years old, a daily driver albeit garaged, and lives in the tropical Florida sun and humidity - the top continues to bead and appears in good shape, my service manager tells me that I have no need to concern myself with the water resistance of the top at this time. I came real close to buying ragg top today but held back until I saw some responses here on the forum....................

tonyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 05:04 PM   #2

I use RaggTop regularly. Have never worried about overspray. What little I get wipes off easily. The directions on the container state that overspray is not a problem.

Norm
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 05:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norminhouston
I use RaggTop regularly. Have never worried about overspray. What little I get wipes off easily. The directions on the container state that overspray is not a problem.

Norm
norm

Thanks for your posting. How often is regularly? And, do you wash the top each time with the ragg top before spraying the protectant?
tonyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 05:44 PM   #4
1JB

I've applied RaggTopp 3 times in as many months and never had an issue with overspray. I use a clean towel with a Zaino z-6 or Clear Vision II to remove it. Anything that won't effect the wax will do.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:12 AM   #5

I use the Porsche product. Wash top, let dry. Vacuum thoroughly. I put top back and cover front with plastic sheeting from Home Depot. Then put top up. Painters masking tape rear window and put towels over rear deck.

Concentrate on seams. I let it cure for 24 hours before putting top down.

Will try RaggTop when P-stuff runs out. It seems to be THEE product.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyg
norm

Thanks for your posting. How often is regularly? And, do you wash the top each time with the ragg top before spraying the protectant?
I usually apply the RaggTop about every six months. Yes, I wash the top with the Raggtop cleaner and let it dry thoroughly before applying the fabric protectant. The top will bead water unbelievably after applying the fabric protectant.
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:00 AM   #7

Roof maintenance

Just had the roof completely replaced free of charge by the Official Porsche Centre so I'm being very careful about how I treat it over the next 12 months. First, I don't think it should have anything applied in the first year. I don't wash the roof or allow any general cleaning products to land on the fabric.. If it gets wet, I allow it to dry and definitely don't put it down wet. That's how the fabric get permanently creased. I brush it with a clean stiff carpet brush to keep the fibres lined up and looking fresh. In the UK we have a company called Renovo that supplies a well respected renovator for the fabric and I used it on a previous model.
By all means renovate after 12 months, and re-proof. Other than that, I'd leave it alone.

harrisg is offline   Reply With Quote