Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2018, 06:50 PM   #1

recovering from a dead battery, dead remote and dash instruments stuck on

I have 99 boxster. I left the lights on and ended up with a dead battery. I used the mechanical release, jump started and was on my way.

BUT..
1) the radio was now dead. I subsequently found a blown fuse, put the code in and voila everything on the radio is fine
2). The key fob no longer works. (I tried the standard reset: key unlock in the door, and then ignition on..It clunks all the locks like it is working but still no remote fob)
3). The instrument cluster stays active (digital speed, odometer and clock) until I manually lock the car with the key. When I do that it enables the alarm and turns of the instruments

I have seen these symptoms described but never a solution.. Does anybody have any ideas.

Everything was working fine before I left the lights on.
I have pulled the battery lead and to reset everything with no change in the symptoms.
I can not find any other blown fuse in fuse box.

thanks
robert

REBible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:03 PM   #2

Solved it.

Dash light behavior is evidently normal it takes a few minutes to go off. I never noticed before.
The FOB reset requires:
****lock door
unlock
open**** door (stay open)
insert key****
turn on
hit unlock on fob

I wasn't getting all those steps.**** I did this after another total system reset by lifting negative terminal and waiting a few minutes (some say at least 30)

​​​​​​​robert
REBible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by REBible View Post
Solved it.
The FOB reset requires:
****lock door
unlock
open**** door (stay open)
insert key****
turn on
hit unlock on fob
​​​​​​​robert
Interesting - might have to make this a sticky. This is not printed in the car manual or 101Projects as far as I can tell. Where did you find these instructions?

I'll give this a try on my remote, which stopped working after battery disconnected when working on my car, when the snow finally goes away (see pict). I actually have snow tires on my 986 right now but a snow plow a 986 is not.

Porsche-Eh is offline   Reply With Quote