Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2018, 02:44 PM   #1

Boxster top waterproofing and lubrication

I made a little video (link below) about the care of the convertible top, including the application of 303 Protectant and lubricating the obvious noise areas.

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/pRcgVHpdZ0U

Last edited by Dr. Acula; 03-06-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Dr. Acula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:53 PM   #2

Nice video

I like the wheels you have

Dwight
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
I like the wheels you have

Dwight

Thanks!

Sometimes I dream of fancy BBS wheels - but then I remember how easy these are to clean!
Old 03-06-2018, 08:44 PM   #4

Nive video! I bought some products from chemical guys to clean and protect but have not used em yet.

I saw a video that suggested using a lint roller just before you treat the top to pick up like horse hair and other pieces of small dust. Anyway thanks for video.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:47 PM   #5

can one repaint/dye the top very effectively?
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:35 AM   #6

Is it necessary to treat the top if the car is garaged and never driven in the rain?

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:43 AM   #7

Garage
I use the Ragg kit that has cleaner and treatment.
Not sure if there is UV protector in there but cleaning the top occasionally would be a good idea
Old 03-07-2018, 08:07 AM   #8

Yes, cleaning is definitely smart. I didn't show that explicitly in the video because it is very straightforward.

I rinse mine with only water when washing the car, and I never take the car through automatic car washes.

When it's time to waterproof it, I use the 303 cleaner and horsehair brush. It's the only time soap touches the roof.

A lint roller is a great idea. My car has lots of lint on the top, which I attribute to using a fabric car cover rather often. I don't have a lint roller but I have used packing tape before to clean the lint off. The lint comes back so quickly with the car cover, I gave up trying to keep it off.

By the way, I don't remember if I left this in the video or edited it out, but ...

If anyone is wondering, "should I use 303 Fabric Protectant or should I use Raggtopp" , the answer is ...

Yes.

They are both awesome and you'll hear nothing bad about either one. I just happen to use 303, but Raggtopp is just as good. Chemical Guys brand has an excellent reputation but I haven't researched their top protectant yet. I would assume it is as good as the rest of their products.

Oh, and DON'T buy the 303 Vinyl Protectant. They look similar, but our tops are fabric, not vinyl.

Last edited by Dr. Acula; 03-07-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Dr. Acula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadweller View Post
Is it necessary to treat the top if the car is garaged and never driven in the rain?

I'm guessing you still wash the car,. (I hope so!) So, yes, it's still a good idea. Once a year and a few bucks for the protectant are a good investment in keeping your car maintained.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Acula View Post
Yes, cleaning is definitely smart. I didn't show that explicitly in the video because it is very straightforward.

I rinse mine with only water when washing the car, and I never take the car through automatic car washes.

When it's time to waterproof it, I use the 303 cleaner and horsehair brush. It's the only time soap touches the roof.

A lint roller is a great idea. My car has lots of lint on the top, which I attribute to using a fabric car cover rather often. I don't have a lint roller but I have used packing tape before to clean the lint off. The lint comes back so quickly with the car cover, I gave up trying to keep it off.

By the way, I don't remember if I left this in the video or edited it out, but ...

If anyone is wondering, "should I use 303 Fabric Protectant or should I use Raggtopp" , the answer is ...

Yes.

They are both awesome and you'll hear nothing bad about either one. I just happen to use 303, but Raggtopp is just as good. Chemical Guys brand has an excellent reputation but I haven't researched their top protectant yet. I would assume it is as good as the rest of their products.

Oh, and DON'T buy the 303 Vinyl Protectant. They look similar, but our tops are fabric, not vinyl.
Good point on the protectant type, i watched several videos on treating and cleaning and that was an important point stressed.

I went with the chemical guys, because i live at an APO and no one else would ship to me. They have great reputation, havent actually used the treatment yet.

I have to wash at a local wand wash, so a little complicated strategically.

If you use a disposable lint roller you can just change the paper. That is to keep any lint from being stuck down during the treatment process.

This thread should go into the detailing section, good info.