986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Slow Engine Warm Up (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/71058-slow-engine-warm-up.html)

lowpue 02-19-2018 06:10 AM

Slow Engine Warm Up

It takes forever...like 10 minutes for the engine to warm up to operating temperature. I am assuming that means the thermostat is stuck open...Any other possibility? I want to go in to repair knowing all options to fix. Also, Thermostat should be easy job, correct?

Starter986 02-19-2018 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowpue (Post 563092)
It takes forever...like 10 minutes for the engine to warm up to operating temperature. I am assuming that means the thermostat is stuck open...Any other possibility? I want to go in to repair knowing all options to fix. Also, Thermostat should be easy job, correct?

That's not unusual. The posts I've read recommend keeping the Rs under 3K until that needle really starts moving. ~10 minutes warm up isn't unusual in my 98.

Unless someone suggest otherwise, I wouldn't be concerned.

Smallblock454 02-19-2018 07:16 AM

So you think 10 minutes is too long to get 22,5 litres of cooling fluid and 8 litres of oil warmed up?

Well…

kk2002s 02-19-2018 08:35 AM

Now that I think about it 10 mins seems normal, probably longer in the winter. There is a lot of fluid in these little cars

Boxstard 02-19-2018 09:15 AM

Sounds normal, mine warms up to just below 180F mark (= low-temp thermostat opening temp I got) after about 10-min driving from winter cold start, maybe 15 min top from -20F. I drive off and keep the rev 2 to 3K rpm during warm-up.

Anker 02-19-2018 11:40 AM

10 minutes is way too long. Use a stopwatch. Even in the dead of winter you should see it come up to operating temperature in less than 5 minutes.

particlewave 02-19-2018 12:14 PM

5-10 minutes, depending on outside temperature, is completely normal in these cars.

lowpue 02-19-2018 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 563093)
That's not unusual. The posts I've read recommend keeping the Rs under 3K until that needle really starts moving. ~10 minutes warm up isn't unusual in my 98.

Unless someone suggest otherwise, I wouldn't be concerned.

My other cars warm up much faster....half the time or better.

Jgkram 02-19-2018 01:10 PM

No way these cars warm up in less than 5 minutes unless you are low on fluid. A reasonable time, driving reasonably slow to start (2 to 3k rpm) is anywhere between 5 to 10 minutes depending on outside temperature.

Geof3 02-19-2018 09:50 PM

Mine takes at least 8-10 min. No way less than 5.

itsnotanova 02-20-2018 04:55 AM

When you're judging how quick your boxster is warming up, are you judging by how quick you start feeling heat? If that's the case then the foam inside the venting system might have gone bad. My wife's car has that problem and it takes awhile for it to heat up inside the cabin. Luckily that's a problem easy to live with in south Texas

cas951 02-20-2018 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowpue (Post 563092)

5-10 min is not abnormal at all to reach normal operating temperature. If your thermostat is stuck in the open or partially open position your engine temperature may not reach normal operating temperature specially while driving at speed. Observe your engine temperature while the car is moving versus while the car is at a stop. If your engine temperature rises while at idle and the engine temperature decrease while moving is a good sign the thermostat is stuck open or partially open.

rick3000 02-20-2018 05:26 AM

I keep the rev's under 3k, or very close to 3k, until the car is at the 180 mark. Takes about 8-12 minutes, depending on the outside temperture. Most the variation occurs between zero and the middle mark between 0 and 180, after that it's normally less than 5 minutes to get to 180. Low-temp thermostat added maybe 1-2 minutes to overall warm up time, if that.

Boxstard 02-20-2018 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotanova (Post 563172)
When you're judging how quick your boxster is warming up, are you judging by how quick you start feeling heat? If that's the case then the foam inside the venting system might have gone bad. My wife's car has that problem and it takes awhile for it to heat up inside the cabin. Luckily that's a problem easy to live with in south Texas

Good point, my warm-up time reported before is with perfectly working heater after fixing up holed blend doors. Without heater at work, I’m sure the engine warms up quicker. I feel heat within a few minutes after cold start in winter Michigan. It warmed up overnight and 45F this morning, and warm-up time was noticeably shorter on my usual commute, probably in 6-7 min with heater on.

TrumpyAl 02-21-2018 04:12 AM

If the thermostat is stuck open, then on cold days the temp will drop quite low when cruising along the open road.

Anker 04-02-2018 04:29 AM

Reviving an old thread.

Having the 986 S out of winter storage I decided to check the warm up time to full engine temperature (needle covering the 8 in 180). 40 degrees F and suburbian roads with little traffic, max speed 45 mph.

At 5 minutes the needle was between the second and third line, the third being the 180 degree line. At 6 minutes the engine was up to full operating temperature.

At higher ambient temperatures and/or higher speeds the temperature would have risen faster.

If you run a low temperature thermostat in the mistaken belief that it will reduce engine overheating (see Low Temp Thermostats: What’s the Advantage? | Tuner University), then the warm-up temperature will be longer and engine wear will be higher.

Starter986 04-02-2018 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anker (Post 566810)
Reviving an old thread.

Having the 986 S out of winter storage I decided to check the warm up time to full engine temperature (needle covering the 8 in 180). 40 degrees F and suburbian roads with little traffic, max speed 45 mph.

At 5 minutes the needle was between the second and third line, the third being the 180 degree line. At 6 minutes the engine was up to full operating temperature.

At higher ambient temperatures and/or higher speeds the temperature would have risen faster.

If you run a low temperature thermostat in the mistaken belief that it will reduce engine overheating (see Low Temp Thermostats: What’s the Advantage? | Tuner University), then the warm-up temperature will be longer and engine wear will be higher.

The logic of #8 sold me.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/621275-does-the-ln-low-temp-thermostat-help-prevent-cracked-heads-cylinders.html

Quadcammer 04-02-2018 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anker (Post 566810)
Reviving an old thread.

Oh boy. First, your coolant gauge is absolutely useless. 2nd, do some research about low temp thermostats on these cars before making such comments.

Lew 04-02-2018 05:58 AM

Sounds about right for me. My car stays in my Garage, however similar to what Particlewave said, it depends on just how cold a engine is.

Boxstard 04-02-2018 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 566813)

And #5, 5hp gain from cooler running engine!

And with a manual radiator fan switch at my fingertip, lower temp thermostat gives greater control to manage temp rise in heavy traffic in hot summer!