Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2018, 08:45 AM   #1

Garage
Hi beam

Am having an issue with the high beams. They function when the stalk is pushed for intermittent, but will not function when pulled.
Have not found anything in search that is specific. Any help would be appreciated. THANKS

treid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:15 AM   #2

Presume you know the high beam bulb is actually lower than the low beam bulb. Swap around the bulbs. Also always post the model, year and options in your post as it could be a 986 Litronics or a 987 or a base or ....
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:33 AM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
This issue crops up once in a while. It's your high beam stalk.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:50 AM   #4

Garage
Thanks, 2003 s with cruise. Any one know if the individual stalk guts are accessible without stalk removal, may be I could switch the micro switches around cutting intermittent loose, or remove spring devise on the push/flash function or at least contact cleaner. Maybe cross wires inside column ? Have not been inside column yet so I cant visualize. Thanks again
treid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:14 PM   #5

Just to clarify, the stalk turns on the high beams when pushed away from you (and locked there). Pulling them towards you is intermittent (flashing).

I don't think there is a way to service the high beam switches. Looking at the pictures I have from when I sold off my 3 way turn signal switch, you can see that the high beam switches are part of and buried deep inside the turn signal switch. It might be possible to remove the turn signal switch, drill out the rivets holding the parts together, and get inside, but I've never seen anyone do this...

Old 02-18-2018, 04:07 PM   #6

I am having the same issue. (986/2002 base/trip/w cruise) Is it a bulb or a tree issue. I can hold the arm forward and the head lights will go to bight.

Kerby68 is offline   Reply With Quote