986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Are the springs different between S and non S models? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/71043-springs-different-between-s-non-s-models.html)

RobbyNZ 02-16-2018 07:53 PM

Are the springs different between S and non S models?

Hi all,

Recently purchased a used 2000 boxster S. Its almost 100% stock apart from being on H&R lowering springs (photos).

The height is a bit annoying seeing as my driveway is akin to Mt Everest and as a result of the lower height the camber on the back is slightly out (and camber wear on tires).

Are the non S model springs the same? or close enough? Im sure they're not, but someone is selling a complete 1998 set on the New Zealand version of eBay (trademe) for the equivalent of about $70 so its hard to pass up.

Any info would be great.

Cheers!
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1518843168.jpg

itsnotanova 02-17-2018 03:38 AM

I believe technically there is a difference in the spring rates between a base and S. How much? That I don't know but I don't think much for the manual-manual and Tiptronic-tiptronic. The spring rate has a lot to do with the weight of the car too. There's not much of a weight difference between a five and six speed. Some but not much. I'm assuming the rate is slightly stiffer for the S for better handling and slight weight difference. Now the tiptronic is a pig and there's probably a huge difference between the tiptronic and manual.

steved0x 02-17-2018 04:20 AM

I think the front are all the same, at least with the M030 sport suspension, but there are differences for the back. From what I've heard, you don't want the tiptronic rear spring if you don't have a tip, it will look like a 4x4. Ther might be a spring rate thread on here somewhere, but like Woody said, the weights are similar, and also note that the after market spring vendors sell just 1 spring set for the 986 Boxster, so you would probably be ok.

edc 02-17-2018 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 562934)
I think the front are all the same, at least with the M030 sport suspension, but there are differences for the back. From what I've heard, you don't want the tiptronic rear spring if you don't have a tip, it will look like a 4x4. Ther might be a spring rate thread on here somewhere, but like Woody said, the weights are similar, and also note that the after market spring vendors sell just 1 spring set for the 986 Boxster, so you would probably be ok.

I used the Tipronic M030 kit on my manual. You get a fraction more rake. It doesn't look like a 4x4.

steved0x 02-17-2018 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edc (Post 562950)
I used the Tipronic M030 kit on my manual. You get a fraction more rake. It doesn't look like a 4x4.

Good to know! :cheers:

edc 02-17-2018 01:09 PM

I didn't get the chance to drive it back to back with a fresh brand new M030 but new tip M030 is much better than old manual M030.

RobbyNZ 02-22-2018 11:09 PM

So i found the part number for the H&R springs (29779).

Checked on the website and they list the same part number for both the S/non S and doesnt seem to be any difference between the auto/manual, at least for the H&R springs.

Alas, in the time i've spent dawdling the cheapy ones for sale here in NZ have sold and i cant seem to find any original S springs on eBay.

Do the coloured bands/markings on the original springs mean anything either?

Cheers!

itsnotanova 02-23-2018 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbyNZ (Post 563449)

Do the coloured bands/markings on the original springs mean anything either?

Cheers!

Technically they're suppose to show what model and options they're for.

deathsled986 02-24-2018 10:35 AM

I believe the S springs sit .25in lower than the non S springs. I only say this because it appears most lowering springs seem to be the same for the S and non S, but say they lower the non S .25in more than the S.