Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2018, 11:27 AM   #1

Engine noise after warmed up?

Hello, hoping someone may have some input on what this sound is. Started making this noise the last time I drove it before putting it away. So once I take it out for summer It’s going to shop , just seeing if anyone has any ideas or comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIL3RfnJcdo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucassharringtonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:30 AM   #2

I should have noted I replaced the timing chain tensioners this passed summer along with minor service and coolant flush and maf sensor.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucassharringtonn View Post
Hello, hoping someone may have some input on what this sound is. Started making this noise the last time I drove it before putting it away. So once I take it out for summer It’s going to shop , just seeing if anyone has any ideas or comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIL3RfnJcdo

Is this a Tiptronic?

tomgalfano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:14 PM   #4

Your video is 3.5 months old and you are just now asking about it? I would have had that looked at by a dealer, or other pro. Sounds like a possible rod knock, but I haven't heard that being much of an issue with these motors. Though it can happen with just about any engine.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Your video is 3.5 months old and you are just now asking about it? I would have had that looked at by a dealer, or other pro. Sounds like a possible rod knock, but I haven't heard that being much of an issue with these motors. Though it can happen with just about any engine.

When I uploaded it I posted it onto a discussion when I meant to create a thread and could not find my original post so I created a new one.. i have been in touch with my mechanic about it and have plan to bring it in when the salt is all off the roads and i put insurance back on it. Just wanted to see what other people thought.

Thanks for response !

Old 02-16-2018, 12:57 PM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Has the car been sitting for a while when this happened? Maybe lifter noise after a cold start?
I had this happen once, and it has never happened since. You can compare to the audio I posted in this thread:
Rough Sound from Engine
Old 02-16-2018, 09:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
Has the car been sitting for a while when this happened? Maybe lifter noise after a cold start?
I had this happen once, and it has never happened since. You can compare to the audio I posted in this thread:
Rough Sound from Engine
That seems quite a bit louder than a lifter. A lifter is usually more of a distinct "tick" type of sound. The op's video sounds more like a deeper knock.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
That seems quite a bit louder than a lifter. A lifter is usually more of a distinct "tick" type of sound. The op's video sounds more like a deeper knock.
Does sound similar to me, your audio may be a bit more muffled then my video as idk where you held the microphone. The car was getting driven at least weekly when this came up.

Like I said it was only after driving and getting everything warmed up and at Idle the sound was there.

By April the roads should be cleared up here in Jersey and Ill be able to uncover it, insure it and bring it to shop. Will also try to remember and update this.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:13 AM   #9

Garage
When the noise starts after warming up it is almost 100% certainly bearing knock of some kind. The bearings that typically will knock like that are the ones at the ends of the connecting rod. Time for a rebuild or engine replacement.

Lifters tick and pistons slap.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:34 AM   #10

Rod bearing.

Get it checked in person by a Porsche specialized workshop.

Regards, Markus

Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote