986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Tig welding a camshaft sprocket to fix a loose camshaft (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/70949-tig-welding-camshaft-sprocket-fix-loose-camshaft.html)

baumnutde 02-07-2018 01:18 PM

Tig welding a camshaft sprocket to fix a loose camshaft

Question, has anyone ever heard a shop say that a loose camshaft can be tig welded to the sprocket to fix a loose camshaft

Brian in Tucson 02-07-2018 01:52 PM

Not any shop that I would allow to work on my car.:eek:

JFP in PA 02-07-2018 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baumnutde (Post 562137)
Question, has anyone ever heard a shop say that a loose camshaft can be tig welded to the sprocket to fix a loose camshaft

No, that is absolutely a really ignorant way to try and fix it.

911monty 02-07-2018 03:08 PM

Why do I get the impression this is some repair shop in Oakland attempting to repair a Boxster from forum guidance.....Shame it's not in the same thread the progression is something.......:eek:

BoxsterSteve 02-07-2018 03:27 PM

That mechanic sounds like the same kind of guy who would say, “Here, hold my beer and watch this!” :eek:

baumnutde 02-12-2018 10:01 AM

Thanks to the Group for your support

Hello, as a follow-up to the Tig welding issue, I've taken the car to another shop for the disagnosis. However, I wish to thank all the members for your support. I'm really hoping the other shop will provide a solution, which will get the car fixed and hopefully not lose my shirt for the repairs. Thank you again

JFP in PA 02-12-2018 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baumnutde (Post 562497)
Hello, as a follow-up to the Tig welding issue, I've taken the car to another shop for the disagnosis. However, I wish to thank all the members for your support. I'm really hoping the other shop will provide a solution, which will get the car fixed and hopefully not lose my shirt for the repairs. Thank you again

You need to accept the simple fact that VarioCam repairs cost money unless you do them yourself, period.

seningen 02-12-2018 02:34 PM

Quote:

Are they talking about the bolts that hold the camshaft to the timing gear in the oil scavenge pumps. During assembly they lock the cam shaft to the chain sprocket,
but this is to set the timing AND it is friction held. If its not right, sounds like something else went wrong.

Without more information, it will be vary hard to help you. Otherwise its just speculation.

However -- it really sounds like your local indy is not Boxster knowledgeable.

Mike

Brian in Tucson 02-13-2018 06:55 AM

Quote:

What year and model, and engine are we discussing.

I have a core engine which will be going to the recycler soon. I could make you a deal on cam & sprocket if you needed it. Engine is a 01, 2.7. It was kind of a mess leaking oil and had been run quite hot. But the cams don't look worse for wear, and the engine only has 74,500 miles on it.