Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2018, 02:46 PM   #1
ASE Certified Idiot

Garage
Got a TechnoTooth

I bought a TechnoTooth from Pedro's Garage.
TechnoTooth

Apart from a bit of a wiring issue (my car apparently has a later-model factory radio) that was quick to fix after 3 minutes on the phone with Pedro, the install went very smoothly. The device integrates with the existing radio and gives Bluetooth connectivity. It also includes a microphone to route up to the visor area for hands-free calling.

I know this is a product that has been around a while and has probably been discussed before, but I am very happy with the product and the after-sale support. The ability to stream my music via Bluetooth, in addition to nav and phone calls, is a great upgrade, and this was a very cost-effective way to get it done. I just didn't feel like pulling the head-unit and dropping an aftermarket system in. I've done plenty of that, and just preferred not to here.

1990 Pontiac Trans Am GTA .:. 1990 Corvette ZR-1 (#1930) .:. 1992 Pontiac Firehawk (#010)
1931 Ford Model A Tudor .:. 1967 Pontiac GTO .:. 1986 Pontiac Trans Am basket-case
gtoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:59 PM   #2

Glad you like it! It is $85 on Amazon (sorry!) as the iSimple Tranzit Blu . I've used it on my 2002 4runner with factory radio. Pairs quickly and works great.

Glad Pedro was able to help you get it going. Its a great solution for anyone who wants to keep their factory radio.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:53 AM   #3
ASE Certified Idiot

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Glad you like it! It is $85 on Amazon
Glad Pedro was able to help you get it going. Its a great solution for anyone who wants to keep their factory radio.
Oh yes, I know that I could get the hardware a bit cheaper. And that might well be the right choice for someone who is purely interested in saving a few bucks. So I'm not sore over that at all.

I made the choice to support someone who supports the hobby and was treated to the benefit of the post-sale service. Also, if you order from Pedro, he sends the wiring harness connectors and antenna adapter in the same box. No cutting, no splicing, no damage to the factory harness. Although I chose to solder and heat-shrink my connections for the power lead and hook button (personal preference) it could be a "plug & play" installation using the included crimp-ons vs. running around for parts.

I'll pay a tad more for that. Less time fiddling = more time enjoying!
1990 Pontiac Trans Am GTA .:. 1990 Corvette ZR-1 (#1930) .:. 1992 Pontiac Firehawk (#010)
1931 Ford Model A Tudor .:. 1967 Pontiac GTO .:. 1986 Pontiac Trans Am basket-case
Old 02-06-2018, 05:09 AM   #4
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Gtoger...

...Good on ya!

I also “overpaid” for mine. I bought it from “Bumper Plugs”.

Guess what? It was worth it. I also had a tech issue and the owner of “Bumper Plugs” was awesome with his support.

I would not have been up and running without his help.

Indeed, the “iSimple Transit Blu” is the same device and available on Amazon.

It works great on my Bose MOST system.

Good luck.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:50 AM   #5

Glad you’re happy with it! I originally bought mine to install in a 2003 Box but sold the car to a buddy prior to the install. The device sat, new and unused, on a shelf for a year or two before I decided to install in the 4Runner. Very happy with it.

Where did you put your control button?
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:18 PM   #6
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

I put it....

.....on the left edge of the storage slot below the HVAC. My car has two DIN sized cubbies below the HVAC and I put it at the bottom left edge of the bottom cubby, in front of the shifter.

I can easily hit it with my right pointer finger to initiate a phone call, ask Siri for help, etc.

Works like a champ.

Gives me full Navigation, Hands free phone, music streaming, etc., in my nice, "Last Analog" Porsche Boxster.

Learn it, love it, live it!

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:00 PM   #7
ASE Certified Idiot

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Where did you put your control button?
I stuck it on the nameplate on the bottom of the center stack. The flat(ish) wire just slips between the plastic seam and cannot be seen unless you're really looking.

The microphone is mounted at the sunvisor hinge.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:33 AM   #8

Can you install this without the control button and microphone if you just want to stream music?

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:36 AM   #9
ASE Certified Idiot

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadweller View Post
Can you install this without the control button and microphone if you just want to stream music?
Sure. You can. But it costs the same either way, so you may as well get the benefit of the handsfree phone.

It's not like you have to drill or otherwise alter the car in any way. The device itself is zip-tied to the support brace in the center console while the wires are tucked inside the weatherstripping.

But if you just object to having anything non-factory showing, then sure. You could simply use it for streaming.