Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2018, 05:36 AM   #1

Garage
Megan Racing adjustable outer tie rods for the street?

I am replacing everything that moves in the suspension on my 99. I have completed the rear now working on the front. I purchased a set of Megan racing outer tie rods and on the box it says for off road use only. What is the reason for this disclaimer? I will not be tracking the car it is street use only. I am replacing the outer tie rods because the boots have torn. Planning on replacing the inner also since I will have the car apart. Is there a safety issue using these tie rods on the street? Does anyone have any experience with these?

Old 02-13-2018, 07:09 AM   #2

wondering the same
2001 Boxster 986 S, 6spd, arctic silver, black interior with black rear glass top, 18" staggered black powder-coated Porsche twists, aftermarket exhaust, smoked headlights and taillights, 20mm rear hubcentric billet wheel spacers, 5mm front billet wheel spacers, de-snorkled, passenger airbag switch, 997 shifter upgrade, LN engineering dual row update, Koni FSD with H&R sport springs, Joe Toth composites rear duck tail spoiler.
marcoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:17 AM   #3

they will be fine. Pointless for a street car and heavier, but just fine
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #4

Years ago I had an MGB that was a retired racer converted to street use. It had some adjustable suspension and brake parts fitted. I was told by a mechanic/fellow racer that if the insurance co. found out after an accident (if it was my fault) it could void a claim due to 'off road only' parts fitted if they were discovered by the insurance inspection.
Something to think about!
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:05 AM   #5

Garage
Yes I called Megan racing and they confirmed. Its their disclaimer different states have different rules for inspection.