Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2018, 06:46 PM   #1

Adjustable rear struts for 986 while on the car (not coilovers)....

I've currently got a set of Koni yellows on my 986. The fronts have a way to adjust the struts while on the vehicle. The rears are adjustable, but they have to be removed to make that adjustment. Removing the rear is a complete pain in the butt. Are there any adjustable struts out there that can be adjusted on the vehicle that aren't coilovers?

Yea, I know of several coilovers that are adjustable. Unfortunately, coilovers aren't allowed for SCCA stock classes. So I can't use them.

Porsche: 1997 986, 2001 986S, 1968 911L, 1968 911S, 2005 911, 1984 928, 2008 Cayenne S.
Rotmilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:01 PM   #2

Truechoice or Proparts (authorized Koni rebuilders & modifiers) might be able to convert the off-the shelf Boxster Konis to externally (knob) adjustable. In fact, they can revalve and may even be able to "soup up" to double adjustable, if desired!

Might give one of them a call and have a conversation. I would check it out, if I were serious into autocross...

If you're looking to get more exotic, there will certainly be additional opti0ns out there. They will be generally not off-the-shelf, but more custom, and cost probably a lot more. JRZ is one such option. Penskes. You could take a coilover type body and weld on stock spring perches to convert a coilover type shock to use a stock type spring and stock type spring perches, maybe even.

Off-the-shelf Koni sports are a very good value basis for a customizable shock for racing purpose like autocross, though. Hope these ideas help... best of luck!

Last edited by jakeru; 01-27-2018 at 10:05 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote