Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2006, 05:16 PM   #1

Angry Severe oil dump!!!

Coming home last night after a good day at the races( horse) and noise from engine bay like a stick being chewed up in a belt. Stopped and looked under but could not see anything obvious and no engine oil light and the noise had gone so away I went. About 6kms. on I stopped at Club and as soon as I opened the door smelt hot oil and saw it pouring out underneath the car. No prizes for guessing what I said!!! Examination revealed no oil showing on dip stick and I guess 2or 3 litres on ground. It was coming from the back of the engine on centrelinebeside the starter ring gear. Rang Roadside Assist as I have Extended Waranty and they are going to truck it today to Sydney, 400kms south of here where I live. So I will anxiously await their verdict on Monday.
A couple of Q's.
1. Does the 03 2.7 have a pan that completely covers the engine sump area, because mine doesn't? LOVE TO HAVE AN ANSWER NOW IF ANYBODY IS THERE!!! :ah:
2. Any ideas what the noise might have been?
Cheers,
Glenn

insatiable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:04 PM   #2

Im not positive by any means but it sure sounds like RMS. Interested in what it ends up being. If you didnt damage the oil pan thats about all I can think it would be. Keep us posted.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:14 AM   #3

Unhappy

I don't think it is an RMS, they don't usually gush like this and they don't make any noise when they go. They just leak.

Sounds like your intermediate shaft has let go. This would account for the god awful noise. If so, the engine is a gonner.

This happened to my neighbor. New engine time.

I hope I am wrong here!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:31 PM   #4

For Brucelee

Brucelee you may be on the money. They suspect that the "jack shaft" has gone. Is this the same as an intermediate shaft you mention?
What is tis item and why does it's failure mean an engine replacement?
They mentioned an engine rebuild as a possibility but my inclination is to press for a new engine since the car has only done 27000kms. and also don't like the idea of explaing an engine rebuild when the time comes to sell!!!
Cheers, and thanks all for input to date.
Glenn

Last edited by insatiable; 08-16-2006 at 03:35 PM. Reason: person identification
insatiable is offline   Reply With Quote