Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2006, 10:35 AM   #1

Car cover

In a perfect world I would drive from prestine dust free climated controlled garage to the next, but as it is, I park outside for work and have a covered carport parking at home. It pains me during these summer months to see the car sit in the sun. I would not put a cover on a dirty car but assuming I start clean and be diligent I was curious if anyone had some input on a good car cover they have/or currently use.

Looks like coverking and covercraft are the two main 'custom fit' vendors with price between $200 to $300 depending on options and material.

I tried to do a search but not much luck.

Thanks in advance!

bgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:50 AM   #2

Porsche sells covers -- two, I think, one for indoors and one for outdoors. I got the outdoors one (I think, about $180) from the dealer when I first got the car but returned it after a few days. Even the smallest invisible specks of dust can marr the finish when pressed by the cover. I asume you'd be looking for an outdoors cover. Those are even heavier. When it rains you also have to worry about trapped humidity issues under the cover.

All in all, it appears that covers would do more damage than good to the car. Nothing protects better than a good coat of wax or sealant, and some rubber/vinyl/leather protectant. For the dash and the interior you can also use those windshield sun-protectors.

Just my two cents.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:46 AM   #3
1JB

I have the exterior car cover made by Porsche. I only use it in the garage when the car won't be driven for extended periods of time. It is a tight fit and I would not use it with a dirty car. Car covers extend to the wheels and pick up all kinds of debris that can scratch the car as the cover is moved. It's over kill to use a cover on a daily basis and any small scratches you end up getting you'll kick yourself for because you'll blame it on the car cover regardless of what caused them. I'd sooner hang boat bumpers out my windows to protect the doors from careless people who park next to me! Now that would be a sight. Don't worry about the sun. Use a good covertible top protectant, wax the car periodically, use an interior windshield cover and you will be fine. Remember the little ding and scratch here and there and sligthly faded top make it your very personal Porsche like none other. It's like getting wrinkles as you age.

Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote