Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2017, 12:20 PM   #1
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Climate Control Problems

2009 Boxster S, PDK with 29K ODO. I know this is the 986 and not the 987 forum. I have spent a fair bit of time searching to no avail. I am also going to post this on Planet 9. I am hoping somebody may have come across this in their travels.

My climate control system has a mind of its own. The defrost comes on all by itself. And then it might switch to A/C with recirc. Then back to full defrost. Totally random. If I push the recirc button, it will sometimes shut off the defrost. But it will switch back on after various timing. Fan and temp controls don’t function in this state either. Nothing works the way it's supposed to.

At first I thought it might be caused by the stiff suspension (collapsed button contacts?), but it also happens while parked in the driveway. So, before I start pulling things apart, has anybody heard of possessed climate controls before? Thanks in advance for any help.

rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
MWS

Many vehicles (I know both my Audis do this) when defrost is selected, will automatically set fan to high and turn on A/C. Any control input will change this "auto defrost" function, but if defrost is selected again, it will revert to the previous. If you are not selecting defrost, yet the fan sets to high and the A/C comes on, I would think your issue is just with the defrost button or contacts. I apologize as I cannot speak to the 987, just Audi and 986.

On an unrelated note, my controls on my 986 were acting up, so I had then control unit replaced. Fixed issue, but the display flashes 7 times on startup. I guess this has happened to others, but I have yet to find a reason why, or what the 7 flashes mean. Porsche dealer said "it should just go away", but never did. No OBC codes, and everything works just fine...after the 7 flashes that is.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:46 PM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Thanks for the reply. I also received a helpful reply from Morde5 on Planet 9. These are both invaluable forums. :dance:
Old 01-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #4
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Update; Finally got this repair behind me. $740 for the new control box and $139 for programming by my indie mechanic. All things are back to normal.