Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2018, 02:31 PM   #1

OBD System Checks "Fail"

Hello

I went to have my '98 Boxster smogged here in California.

The car passed the actual emissions test, but it failed the "OBD System Checks". I did reset the OBD to clear some misfire codes, but I swear I've driven the car at least 1000 miles since doing so. My reader says that the car is ready for smog (i.e. it's gone through all the tests). Can anything else cause this error???

Thanks

stanigu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:28 PM   #2

Garage
You poor boxster owner
Just went through similar
You need to see if the 2 monitors secodary air check and or evap system check are in incomplete status
This will drive you crazy
For me minus $1000 my evap system needed new canistor and check valves
My secondary air still is incomplete but in nj it passed
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:12 PM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Beg, borrow or buy an OBD scan tool that has the readiness check feature. I purchased mine at HF for +/- $50. There is also a specific driving protocol for setting the system. I believe this will also work for a 986 as well. My wife's Volvo also has a very similar ritual required to set all of the systems. It can take a couple of cycles to get them all set. Good luck.

OBDII readiness drive cycle procedures - Pelican Parts Technical BBS
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:14 PM   #4

Last year on my 2004 986 the OBD Fusion app showed all monitors ready and no fault codes. When I took it to my local ‘goto’ tire store for NYS inspection it passed safety but failed OBD emissions with a “car could not communicate with NYS emissions testing center”. Drove immediately to our Audi dealer in the next town over and it passed no problem. Some kind of variance in either my tire store’s testing system or their comm line. Don’t know if this relates to your problem, but it does happen.

If all your OBD monitors are showing ready, I don’t know what else might be the problem. Good luck!
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:15 PM   #5

I hope you get this sorted

I thank heaven above we do not do testing here in AL

I dealt with that for 22 years in Atlanta
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:04 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedback

I guess I'll look into the "referee" program. Does anyone have any experience with them? It'll be better than going to stealership.

What irks me really is that if what's coming out of the tailpipe is OK, why shouldn't it pass? Anyway, it is what it is....privilege of living in an extremely high cost state with high tax that I can no longer deduct...

stanigu is offline   Reply With Quote