Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2006, 05:47 PM   #1

2007 987 vs Cayman S

Well, it looks like Porsche is going to throw the Cayman 3.4L engine into a boxster S. The question is are they still going to price the boxster S more than 5k+ under the Cayman S? I thought the selling point of the Cayman was the power advantage it has over the boxster s. If they are, how can they justify the extra premium over the cabriolet version which traditionally is more expensive? Every other car company seems to mark up the price of their convertibles over their coup counterparts. Do they expect people to pay more for less? It seems like Porsche has it bass ackwards no?

Last edited by Adam; 08-12-2006 at 05:53 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:11 AM   #2

Smile

This WILL be interesting to watch.

I wonder if they are going to try to mark the Box UP past the Cayman S?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:21 AM   #3

Marketing shapes human psychology which produces inefficiencies in free markets. Porsche marketing has shaped human psychology into believing that rear-engine 911 is worth $20k more than a mid-engine Cayman S which is worth $5k more than its convertible version. Some people will separate substance from flash, will draw their own conclusions, and take advantage of the inefficiencies before the masses see the light. Most others will pay the extra $30k for a 911 convertible simply because they can and because it would hurt their image to be seen in a car that's $30k cheaper. Same logic for the Cayman S. That's capitalism (profit generation) by definition.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:54 AM   #4

I wonder if they are going to try to mark the Box UP past the Cayman S?

07 Boxster S is $55.5k msrp.
Maybe next year?
Old 08-13-2006, 07:00 AM   #5

It would only make sense

that the boxster S should cost more especially if they have identical engines. The Cayman to me is pretty much a boxster. Considering the boxster is the only porsche I have any interest in, I am happy they haven't been smart enough to jack it up.....ok the carrera GT is pretty phenom but the rest of the 911's look liked glorified beetles to me.....so I won't drop the additional 57K they wanted for the convertible 911 in the showroom....
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 05:53 AM   #6

Garage
I posed that question to my favorite Porsche

salesperson recently and didn't get much of a response out of him. +$5K for the Cayman over the Boxster (base or S) is, IMV, an amazing marketing strategy. There those that want a mid-engine coupe and the Cayman will fill that need. I just can't think of any other car maker out their that charges a premium for a coupe; I'm guessing that the price differential willnarrow over time with either the prices of the respective cars moving north or south and the std. equipment changing to give the appearance of greater or less value.

Adding the 3.4L motor was a natural for the Boxster S, giving the new BMW products just released, but does mess with the viability of the Cayman S pricing. Then again, maybe their trying to just bump up the Boxster S sales--I think they were off for 06.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:40 AM   #7
KronixSpeed

" 911's look liked glorified beetles to me...."

LOL....i wanted to buy a 911 for obvious reasons. n my dad has the same impression that you have of a 911, he thinks of them as sporty beetles.

when i was buying my porsche he displayed his love for the boxster looks over the 911.

i agree that the 911's look like beetles. over rated. don't get me wrong, i'd still buy a 997 turbo anyday. money also talks, if i could afford a 911 turbo, i wouldn't care that it looks like a beetle.

my two sense

i love my boxster!!
Old 08-14-2006, 12:16 PM   #8

when I first saw the Cayman at the Porsche dealership I asked the sales person, "so it's basically just a hard top boxster?" and he got more than a little annoyed. He went on and on about how different (better) it was from the boxster. Apart from the engine and roof, it still seems like the same car to me
binaryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:24 PM   #9
KronixSpeed

its true, when i drove past one, side to side, i really couldnt see the back untill i looked in my side view mirrors. obviously the front lights are far nicer then my 986 lights, but the side view of the car was exactly the same. the roof just changed the way it looked, but not like it didnt look exactly like my car. as i drove by it , i was saying hey that looks exactly like my car.....or better yet looks exactly like a 987. just a boxster with a roof. which is rare anyways....i still havent seen a boxster with a roof, so really to me that car looked like a boxster with a roof.

ya hear
Old 08-14-2006, 01:34 PM   #10

The Cayman is a boxster coupe. The Cayman S is a Boxster coupe over-bored.

Saying it ain't so doesn't change that.

Oh, and its MO MONEY TOO!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote