Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2017, 11:58 AM   #1

I should have known better...help

So I thought today would be a good day to go out and get a new Interstate battery as mine was needing to stay on the charger all the time to hold a charge. No problem, I'm off and I can go during the day and perhaps it won't be crowded. The local Interstate dealer is a combo Indy Auto repair (including batteries) and car wash. They replace the battery...didn't take too long. And as I was getting the car back the car wash manager walks over and offers to wash and wax the car (not for free), they aren't busy. At first I said no because I don't want to run it thru the wash, I prefer to wash it myself. But then I thought, what the heck, it's a good day so far, it's cold and I don't really want to wash it in the cold, let's just let them wash the car and then go for a quick spin then head home.

Car looks great. I get in to drive off and as I'm going down the road...of course adjusting the seat back to the proper position, I notice the radio is off and the heater is blowing pretty hot. I turn on the radio and whaaat...the display is all whacky. Then I try to turn down the heater and the down button won't work, only the up button. Then I try to adjust the fan down and it worn't work. Everything worked fine before. It appears they wiped down the dash with something that messed up the electronics.

Can I fix this???

Dave in TX

dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:27 PM   #2

shoot it with some electronics cleaner. start with inside the buttons and if that don't work, you may have to disassemble. The screen should not be whacky though.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #3
MWS

I do hope that your issue is related to the cleaning rather than the battery; I say this because a few years ago I had a similar issue with radio (except no power) and the climate control (buttons didn't work) except mine was electrically related (something happened when changing battery). Please let us know of any developments, especially if you find any fuses are blown.

Best wishes.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post
I do hope that your issue is related to the cleaning rather than the battery; I say this because a few years ago I had a similar issue with radio (except no power) and the climate control (buttons didn't work) except mine was electrically related (something happened when changing battery). Please let us know of any developments, especially if you find any fuses are blown.

Best wishes.
I tried the electrical contact cleaner and it helped a little on the climate control unit. No change on the radio. Wacky display and no sound.

Just looked at my fuses and don't notice any blown. What happened to yours?
Old 12-28-2017, 07:30 PM   #5

Did you input the code for the radio? I would disconnect the battery, check fuses reconnect and see what happens.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:47 AM   #6

Update:

I disconnected the battery, sprayed electrical contact cleaner liberally and let everything sit overnight. Reconnected the battery and I could read the stereo display to input the code. Everything seems to be working OK for now. AC buttons working again as well.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dave in TX
Old 12-29-2017, 11:31 AM   #7

There is actually a bit of a "procedure" after replacing/disconnecting the battery:

This if for throttle adaptation:

Ignition on for one minute prior to first engine start
Ignition OFF for at least 10 seconds before start

In your owners manual it covers all the window, top etc. resets after disconnection of the battery. Because of all the communication of the electronics in the Boxster, disconnecting the battery is a slightly daunting task. Not usually an issue, but a consideration. Check your ground points as well, make sure they are shiny clean, tight and the cables are not frayed or corroded in any way. A funky ground can create ALL sorts of weird issues.

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote