Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2017, 02:28 AM   #1

Exhaust stains....oil leak??? help

Hi, I am new to this forum and a first time buyer of a boxster. i have narrowed my search to 2 cars. both 2005 both 38500 miles and both seemingly in great condition with fsh and the checks i have done are so far good.

However one has a 12 month warrantee and one a 6 however this one is in slightly better condition with sat nav and has a spotless exhaust pipe. The one with the 12 month warrantee has a stained tailpipe and i wondered if this was s sign of the infamous rear oil leak that i have reward about several times. could i be correct? could anyone help in this matter?

Blairw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:27 AM   #2
Project Addicted

I don't see the rear main leaks getting on the exhaust headers or cats. The is more likely a spark plug boot leak or valve cover.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:39 AM   #3

Are you talking about staining on the actual exhaust tip or some other portion of the exhaust when you say "exhaust pipe?" The exhaust is made of steel that will discolor over time, the one car may just have had that particular pipe replaced relatively recently. If it is the actual exhaust tip, those are made of stainless steel and can be easily cleaned up. One car may have had the exhaust tip cleaned and the other may not have been cleaned. They all get dirty over time but clean up pretty easily.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:56 AM   #4

thanks guys

Blairw123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boxster 986 , exhaust , oil leak , rms