Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2006, 01:50 PM   #1

New member of the club, and question

I had the day off yesterday, so I went down to the Auto Gallery on Ventura Boulevard (LA). I found the perfect car on the porscheusa new car lookup--it was at McKenna in Norwalk.

2006 Boxster S
Tip
Bi-Xenon
Windstop
Floormats
Heated Seats
Arctic Silver Metallic on black interior, black top

61,390 MSRP

The Auto Gallery manager, Dave, and I negotiated over the phone, and he agreed to a $6500 discount, based on what McKenna had directly told me. I figured I'd give him first crack at the deal, since we had already negotiated another car the day before.

This car is perfectly optioned, IMHO. No Bose upgrade, but the stock stereo is pretty decent--seven speakers and an amplifier(!) The problem is it's impossible to find a non-Bose 987 at a dealer. I happened to get lucky. A first glance at the incoming 2007 models on the dealer websites reveals them to be overloaded with (crummy) options. The navi--gimme a break!

First impressions:

The xenons have the best lateral coverage I have seen. My G35 had xenons too, but not like this.

Grip was amazing. Took the wife to Malibu, top down, and we had no problem with Malibu Canyon road, great ride. She likes the stereo, while I just like hearing the engine note.

Sound system is pretty good for it being stock. Is that a DIN x 2 setup? Any aftermarket installations out there on the 987?

The transmission is pretty frugal with shift points. You really have to jam the accelerator to get the car to take off. You can also use the steering wheel shifters to downshift without stomping the gas.

Shifts are smooth, like buttah. The M3 I drove with the SMG jerked you around like a used car salesman.

The dealership wasn't bad. Ok, so it's in a trailer, but the people were pretty nice.

The car has a big scratch in the front bumper, but they claim they will fix it. I'll bring the ride back in a week and take a (Hertz) loaner. I asked for an F430 loaner, but no dice.

A/C was nice and cold, but the sun was down. Today will be the real test. Addendum--it's 100F outside, but the A/C blew cold and made for a tolerable cabin. The ride is pretty short from the hospital to the office. Too hot for the top to be down.

I took the car back to Santa Susana Pass road at the top of Topanga Canyon, and that was some nice riding. I'd only done that stuff in computer games before. Barely a squeak from the tires.

I'm a convert--this car is the ultimate luxury touring convertible. The wife agrees.
:dance:

Dr. B.

mbenjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:03 PM   #2
bmussatti

Congrats on the new car!

Because of your statement:

"The transmission is pretty frugal with shift points. You really have to jam the accelerator to get the car to take off. You can also use the steering wheel shifters to downshift without stomping the gas."

I hope and recommend that you read the owners manual, and make sure you are following the proper break-in procedure. Keep the RPM's below 4,200 for the first 2,000 miles.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:56 PM   #3

Congratulations and welcome.

It looks like most dealers have received one 07 S apiece to use as demos, and I agree that many have been over-optioned (I assume for demonstration purposes).

Your stock stereo in the S is Sound Package Plus, so it's a tweener between the 987 base stereo and the Bose. Interesting to read your impressions of it. HVAC is one of the Boxster's many strongpoints, primarily because the cabin is pretty damn small.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:57 PM   #4

Talking

BMU took the words right out of my mouth.

BREAKIN, not BREAKDOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:58 PM   #5

Right on

I'll be good. Thanks for the word to the wise..

I also figured something else out--try not to put the top up and down while moving. The latch of the soft top can scratch the windstop. Now you tell me!

Does the car "learn" your preferred shift points? The dealer claimed yes, but has anyone really observed this?

mbenjam is offline   Reply With Quote