986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Opinions on this Boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/70249-opinions-boxster.html)

mikeytikey 12-01-2017 04:55 AM

Opinions on this Boxster

I have the Boxster bug. I am previous owner of a 2008 and thats what got me. Anyway, to the point, I am mechanically illiterate. Would love some feedback on this Boxster that I have been eyeballing:

https://porscheoklahomacity.net/inventory/used/Porsche+Boxster+Oklahoma+City+Oklahoma+2014+Black+ 1476843

I am nervous about the high milage but think the price is pretty decent for a late model.

Please ... any thoughts you have here.

Brian in Tucson 12-01-2017 08:50 AM

High mileage? It's barely broken in. Sure is a boatload of money, but it looks like a lovely car. Probably won't be a maintenance & repair hog (like my 01) for a while at least.

PaulE 12-01-2017 09:58 AM

It looks like a nice car - I'd be curious as to why they aren't offering it as a Certified Pre-Owned model. It is new enough and the miles are low enough for it to qualify. The original warranty on the car was 4 years/50,000 miles and I believe CPO would take that to 6 years and 100,000 miles. Having the CPO warranty could be nice for you. Is the car not being sold as CPO just because that would make the selling price higher (I'm pretty sure the dealer has to pay something to make it CPO), or did it fail CPO status for some reason, such as off spec tires or some mechanical condition? I think if you're willing to travel some there are a lot of similar cars available, age, condition and price-wise.

Ciao 12-01-2017 11:51 AM

Nice Car; I'd try and negotiate a few thousand less

husker boxster 12-01-2017 12:38 PM

Accident damage really affects resale.

While the accident was 4 yrs ago and at least 15K mi ago, it follows the car. You can use that to your advantage IF you plan to keep this car for a long period of time (and the repair was done properly). You can get it for a reduced price now with previous damage but you'll have to sell it for a reduced price when that time comes. If that time is a LONG way down the road, not as big of a deal.

You've owned Boxsters before, so you know they're lifestyle vehicles. Your life can suddenly change and a 2-seater doesn't fit your needs and you have to sell. It's important to consider this when you're buying a clean 2-seater but is doubly important when considering one with accident damage. If you suddenly have to sell after recently purchasing, you will take a huge bath because prospective customers will think there's something wrong with the car.

PaulE 12-01-2017 04:10 PM

Good call Husker, I didn't see there was an autocheck report link to click on.

thstone 12-01-2017 05:39 PM

The mileage is pretty high for a 2014 (most Porsche's average only 5K miles per year) but some are used as daily drivers and that was probably the case here. The price is reasonable and is on the lower range of KBB, but with the accident history, I'd want to get the price closer to $31K. As Paul said, I would imagine that there are a lot of cars like this available at similar pricing so I'd take my time to find the car that had the options that I wanted and then drive a hard bargain since its the start of winter and very few car buyers are looking for roadster's.

husker boxster 12-01-2017 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 556768)
I would imagine that there are a lot of cars like this available at similar pricing.

Porsche's come off leases around the 4 yr mark, so there will be a lot of 2014s hitting the mkt. It's probably not a coincidence that they come off lease at the same time the warranty runs out. Porsches also take their 1st big hit in value at the 4 yr mark (besides the 1st time you drive them off the showroom floor), probably b/c of the lack of warranty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 556768)
I'd take my time to find the car that had the options that I wanted and then drive a hard bargain since its the start of winter and very few car buyers are looking for roadster's.

True words of wisdom. Lots of things working in your favor.
Don't marry the first one that kisses you.

Bilmar72 12-02-2017 04:40 PM

Boat Load of money

Ha Ha Brian In Tucson, that car in Australia would be over double that price in Oz in USD. Every Porsche owner in the US should think themselves lucky they are buying in the US and not Australia. My 2004 S with 45,000 miles was USD23k, about average here!! Go figure.

mikefocke 12-02-2017 05:26 PM

It was a rental/lease vehicle. Left side damage back when it was new. Higher miles than many I see advertised around me. Lower priced to reflect accident record and miles. Does seller have records to document the accident repair?