Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2017, 12:25 PM   #1

Will not shift into 2nd gear

Hello,
I have a 98 986 vehicle will not shift into 2nd gear and sometimes has a hard time going into 1st as well.
Back story was was driving in 5th at a high rate of speed them downshifted straight to 2nd and destroyed 2nd ( long story prefer not to explain or get any lectures)
Brought the car to a friend of mine to get the transmission rebuild
Changed the clutch to a stage 1 clutch kit from Pelican parts.
Changed 1st and 2nd syncro, the 2nd gear, the hub and the sleeve.
Re-installed and drove it for a day and half. In that day i notice the transmission was having a hard timr getting into 1st when stopped a light from nuetral and into 2nd when driving. You needed to put some force on the shifter or needed to shift into 3rd then shift back into 1st when in nuetral and it would engage into 1st.
2nd gear you needed to shift slow into it but it was still a hard shift...
We rebled the clutch didnt do anything
I was driving sloftly with the car as we just rebuilt everything but on the 2nd day i couldnt get into 2nd gear at all seemed like it would just go in half way or 3/4 and just woukd go any further like somthing was stopping it from moving than half inch it needed to drop into
Changed out part of the rear shift linkage as we noticed one of the arms were bents.
Seemed to shift better into 1st 3rd 4th and 5th R but still cannot get it into 2nd gear at all.
Any ideas or solutions or if you have had a simliar problem with the 5 speed gear box let me know
It has been a year and a half and over 5k in parts and labour...
Please help

Timmyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:51 PM   #2

I assume you carefully adjusted the cables and have tried shifting with the cables disconnected.
Deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:11 PM   #3

Hello,
I have a 98 986 vehicle will not shift into 2nd gear and sometimes has a hard time going into 1st as well.
Back story was was driving in 5th at a high rate of speed them downshifted straight to 2nd and destroyed 2nd ( long story prefer not to explain or get any lectures)
Brought the car to a friend of mine to get the transmission rebuild
Changed the clutch to a stage 1 clutch kit from Pelican parts.
Changed 1st and 2nd syncro, the 2nd gear, the hub and the sleeve.
Re-installed and drove it for a day and half. In that day i notice the transmission was having a hard timr getting into 1st when stopped a light from nuetral and into 2nd when driving. You needed to put some force on the shifter or needed to shift into 3rd then shift back into 1st when in nuetral and it would engage into 1st.
2nd gear you needed to shift slow into it but it was still a hard shift...
We rebled the clutch didnt do anything
I was driving sloftly with the car as we just rebuilt everything but on the 2nd day i couldnt get into 2nd gear at all seemed like it would just go in half way or 3/4 and just woukd go any further like somthing was stopping it from moving than half inch it needed to drop into
Changed out part of the rear shift linkage as we noticed one of the arms were bents.
Seemed to shift better into 1st 3rd 4th and 5th R but still cannot get it into 2nd gear at all.
Any ideas or solutions or if you have had a simliar problem with the 5 speed gear box let me know
It has been a year and a half and over 5k in parts and labour...
Please help
Old 11-29-2017, 02:24 PM   #4

I'd start by:
  • ensuring shift cables are properly seated in guides at transmission
  • re-aligning shifter/cables in the cockpit w/ the green alignment tool

Good luck
Old 11-29-2017, 02:32 PM   #5

DOUBLE POST - see other thread...

Old 11-29-2017, 02:53 PM   #6

Used 5 speeds are cheap. I would not attempt to repair a transmission that has gears and lord knows what else destroyed. Buy a good used low millage one, out and in, done.:dance:
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
I assume you carefully adjusted the cables and have tried shifting with the cables disconnected.
Yes with the cables disconnected it will still not shift into 2nd gear
Old 11-29-2017, 04:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
I'd start by:
  • ensuring shift cables are properly seated in guides at transmission
  • re-aligning shifter/cables in the cockpit w/ the green alignment tool

Good luck
Thanks i will look into that
Old 11-29-2017, 04:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by obthomas View Post
Used 5 speeds are cheap. I would not attempt to repair a transmission that has gears and lord knows what else destroyed. Buy a good used low millage one, out and in, done.:dance:

Starting to feel that way...one part wants to the other part is just wanting to finish this bc i spend so much and seems like this is the final thing what what it may be
Old 11-29-2017, 06:47 PM   #10

Did you try using a fresh fill of genuine Porsche transmission fluid? I found significantly reduced shift effort when I changed the fluid in my ~120k mile 5-speed Boxster. Most noticeable in lower gears, and when cold. There are different Porsche fluids spec'ed for the 5-speed and the 6-speed transmissions - I'm not sure how big a difference it makes if you use the wrong type, but I used the fluid (the latest/superceded part number for it, anyway) that Porsche specified for the 5-speed. Got a very good result with it. No history of any transmission damage on this car, (at least that I'm aware of), and I also can't say for certain what the old transmission fluid was in there that I drained out but I hope that helps.

Transmission gear oil change made easy.

Cheers!

Last edited by jakeru; 11-29-2017 at 06:51 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyk View Post
Thanks i will look into that
There are tiny pins in the shift shafts.

Mine had one fall out and I had limited gear choices.

Had all pins replaced, works great now.

Mike

seningen is offline   Reply With Quote