986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Locked inside (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/70184-locked-inside.html)

Zibodo 11-26-2017 07:00 AM

Locked inside

Yesterday I got a call from my wife who was sitting inside my ‘98 in the drive way and could not get out of the car. She could lift the handle and hear the click of the solenoid, but it would immediately relock. I could open it from the outside to release her but she could not get out. When I drove it later it had the same problem two times. Once I could open the lock using the unlock switch on the dash, and once it just released after a few times falling with the interior door handle. So it seems intermittent.

Any one have any ideas? I don’t want to be trapped.

Frodo 11-26-2017 08:55 AM

Don't know what the fix is, but---in the meantime---if you get "trapped" can't you just lower the window and use the key in the door? :)

particlewave 11-26-2017 09:25 AM

What was the window doing when the handle was pulled?

Zibodo 11-26-2017 09:31 AM

I didn’t try rolling down the window, but when I pull on the handle it does the normal thing where it drops down a quarter in. When I release the handle it rolls back up.

I will try to see if the window will come down. I assume I can also put the roof down if I get trapped. I was just surprised at the way this’d behaved

Zibodo 11-27-2017 10:25 AM

Here is some more info. If the car is running, everything works fine door, windows, top. If the car is off with key in ignition, I need to pull the door handle a number of times before it will open. Sometimes it will simply not open. As I mentioned below, when I pull the handle, the window drops as normal even if it won't unlock. Any guidance?

Finnegan 11-27-2017 10:56 AM

Exorcist, maybe?

particlewave 11-27-2017 11:00 AM

When is the last time you replaced the ignition switch?
Start there.

Zibodo 11-28-2017 05:53 AM

I just bought this car in Sept. Multiple owners so I don’t know if its ever been replaced. Could that be it?

particlewave 11-28-2017 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zibodo (Post 556488)
I just bought this car in Sept. Multiple owners so I don’t know if its ever been replaced. Could that be it?

Yes.

Zibodo 07-08-2018 03:48 PM

Ok after a few months of opening the door using the outside handle, I finally changed the ignition switch. No joy! The inside drives door handle still randomly will not open the door.

Could it be the immobilizer? I hope not. Or is there a micro switch buried in the door that is out of adjustment?

Lew 07-08-2018 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zibodo (Post 574742)
Ok after a few months of opening the door using the outside handle, I finally changed the ignition switch. No joy! The inside drives door handle still randomly will not open the door.

Could it be the immobilizer? I hope not. Or is there a micro switch buried in the door that is out of adjustment?

When is the last time you locked the car with the key fob. Do you hear the horn when pressing the key fob two times?

Smallblock454 07-08-2018 07:23 PM

Hm,

i would check the control unit alarm system below the drivers seat and the door lock modules. Can be a microswitch or bad wire connection. Can also be corrosion in the control unit alarm system - water damage.

If the car relocks, i would question if the alarm system is still active while you're driving. So do you open and close the car with the key fob and does the key fob work properly?

Regards, Markus

thom4782 07-08-2018 10:37 PM

I had a problem once where doors would lock and unlock on their own after starting the car. It turned out the electronic door lock mechanism on the passenger side needed replacing. Once done, I've never saw this odd behavior again.

Zibodo 07-09-2018 07:39 AM

My '98 is pretty basic. I don't have a remote key, just a standard blade key (with an LED) what I must use every time to lock the car. It seems to lock fine from the drivers side, But I cannot lock it from the passenger side.

Not sure if this is related. To my knowledge there is no alarm system, there is no beep when I lock or unlock. I do get a ding when I remove the key from the ignition, and a ding when I insert the seat belt. That has always seemed goofy but I am not sure how its supposed to work.

Lew 07-09-2018 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zibodo (Post 574774)
My '98 is pretty basic. I don't have a remote key, just a standard blade key (with an LED) what I must use every time to lock the car. It seems to lock fine from the drivers side, But I cannot lock it from the passenger side.

Not sure if this is related. To my knowledge there is no alarm system, there is no beep when I lock or unlock. I do get a ding when I remove the key from the ignition, and a ding when I insert the seat belt. That has always seemed goofy but I am not sure how its supposed to work.

You say "But I cannot lock it from the passenger side". That's where I would look for the problem. Micro switch maybe!

Geof3 07-09-2018 10:48 PM

Pretty sure you should have an immobilizer in your car, but I could be wrong. I thought they were standard for all Boxsters. If you don’t have a fob, you could have some need to reset the system. If the imobilizer isn’t keyed for a few days it will sleep. Without a FOB, not sure if it’s possible for the system to function properly.

particlewave 07-09-2018 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geof3 (Post 574816)
Pretty sure you should have an immobilizer in your car, but I could be wrong. I thought they were standard for all Boxsters. If you don’t have a fob, you could have some need to reset the system. If the imobilizer isn’t keyed for a few days it will sleep. Without a FOB, not sure if it’s possible for the system to function properly.

All 986 models have immobilizers and all 986 keys have transponders. "Fob" typically refers to the keyless entry transmitter, which all do not have.

Geof3 07-10-2018 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 574818)
All 986 models have immobilizers and all 986 keys have transponders. "Fob" typically refers to the keyless entry transmitter, which all do not have.

Oh yes, got it. Forgot they were actually different systems (sort of)

MHudson 07-11-2018 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zibodo (Post 556317)
Yesterday I got a call from my wife who was sitting inside my ‘98 in the drive way and could not get out of the car. She could lift the handle and hear the click of the solenoid, but it would immediately relock. I could open it from the outside to release her but she could not get out. When I drove it later it had the same problem two times. Once I could open the lock using the unlock switch on the dash, and once it just released after a few times falling with the interior door handle. So it seems intermittent.

Any one have any ideas? I don’t want to be trapped.

If the issue is just with one side of the door, you might need to open up the door and check how the lock assembly is connected.

There could be something jamming or disconnected.

Zibodo 10-08-2018 11:51 AM

As I said I replaced the ignition switch and it did not cure the problem. As I have lived with this, it seems to happen mostly when the car is warm. Maybe a thermal expansion is making a close tolerance in the micro switch open? I guesmy next move is to pull off the door panel.

My new problem is that now the clock and oil check gauge in the dash does not light. I assume this is related to messing around with the ignition switch. Does anyone know where the connector is that would control that function? Could I have knocked in my clumsy attempt to change the ignition switch?