986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Remove white wax residue from rear bumper plastic bumper things (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/70176-remove-white-wax-residue-rear-bumper-plastic-bumper-things.html)

pinksnyper 11-25-2017 10:28 AM

Remove white wax residue from rear bumper plastic bumper things

Sorry I'm not sure what the two bumps by the rear plate are called. I foolishly got compound residue on them. I've tried, so far, without success:
  • Wd40
    Goof off
    Dawn

What the heck

BoxsterSteve 11-25-2017 10:43 AM

Always had good luck with Mother’s Back To Black.

Or just prep them and do them to match the car.
It looks great when the bumperettes are colour matched.
Lots of threads on doing this floating around.

husker boxster 11-25-2017 10:59 AM

Pink Pearl pencil eraser.

As Steve says, those are bumperettes.

pinksnyper 11-25-2017 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker boxster (Post 556254)
Pink Pearl pencil eraser.

As Steve says, those are bumperettes.

Thanks gents. Now have gotten really interested in the bumperette removal all together!

rexcramer 11-25-2017 01:40 PM

+1 for the Mother's Back to Black.

BoxsterSteve 11-25-2017 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinksnyper (Post 556260)
Thanks gents. Now have gotten really interested in the bumperette removal all together!

You can remove them, it only takes a 6mm Allen key, but you expose the bracket they affix to, and the hole in the bumper cover underneath.
Look in my garage photos, there’s a pic there of my painted bumperettes.
It takes various grades of sandpaper, high fill primer, base coat and catalyzed clear coat and a couple of days to get it all done.
Bumper Plugs sells complete painted ones, but I’m too German to spend that kind of bread.

pinksnyper 11-26-2017 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve (Post 556283)
You can remove them, it only takes a 6mm Allen key, but you expose the bracket they affix to, and the hole in the bumper cover underneath.
Look in my garage photos, there’s a pic there of my painted bumperettes.
It takes various grades of sandpaper, high fill primer, base coat and catalyzed clear coat and a couple of days to get it all done.
Bumper Plugs sells complete painted ones, but I’m too German to spend that kind of bread.

That looks great. For the novice painter, do you have a guide of sorts?

A8ked 11-26-2017 10:19 AM

I did something similar with wax. I used some full strength Simple Green and a tooth brush, took it right off...

pinksnyper 11-26-2017 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A8ked (Post 556335)
I did something similar with wax. I used some full strength Simple Green and a tooth brush, took it right off...

I don't have any on hand. Surprised my full strength goof off didn't work though

BoxsterSteve 11-26-2017 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinksnyper (Post 556289)
That looks great. For the novice painter, do you have a guide of sorts?

I started with 400 grit to sand off all the pebble finish, then went to 800 grit then 1000.
Then I laid on a coat of high build primer and sanded with 1500 grit. Did it again.
I sprayed light coats of base coat until the can was empty, then did the same with the catalyzed clear.

mikefocke 11-26-2017 03:32 PM

I had Bumper Plugs do mine and they exchanged a set they had for mine plus my credit card, of course. They were a perfect match and held up perfectly for the 5 years I owned the car. Never read a bad forum comment about them.

Frodo 11-26-2017 06:01 PM

If you decide to stick with black bumperettes...

I used Back to Black for a while, and liked it reasonably well. Problem was, it didn't last very long. I switched to Forever Black---lasts MUCH longer.