Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2006, 10:21 AM   #1

Whats up with performance wheels?

I have been reading about suspension upgrades lately, but I dont feel comfortable with doing the work, and I am not sure what is the most cost effective way to tighten the car up. So I have been thinking about wheels for my 2000 Boxster which currently has factory 17" wheels.

I tend to like the 17" because tires are cheaper, but if I saw a good deal on ebay for some 18" wheels with tires, I may go for it. My question is there a performance advantage to getting aftermarket wheels.

Are they lighter?
Are they stiffer?
Do they have less rotating mass?
Do they offer a performance advantage or just look cool (to some)?
Whats up with the multipiece wheels with all the bolts?

I will probably not track the car, but I sure like to go fast on the twisties, thanks.

Ed

2000 Boxster 2.7L
Cold air intake, performance chip

edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
I have been reading about suspension upgrades lately, but I dont feel comfortable with doing the work, and I am not sure what is the most cost effective way to tighten the car up. So I have been thinking about wheels for my 2000 Boxster which currently has factory 17" wheels.

I tend to like the 17" because tires are cheaper, but if I saw a good deal on ebay for some 18" wheels with tires, I may go for it. My question is there a performance advantage to getting aftermarket wheels.

Are they lighter?
Are they stiffer?
Do they have less rotating mass?
Do they offer a performance advantage or just look cool (to some)?
Whats up with the multipiece wheels with all the bolts?

I will probably not track the car, but I sure like to go fast on the twisties, thanks.

Ed

2000 Boxster 2.7L
Cold air intake, performance chip
Hi,

Frankly, for the type of driving you want to do, I think you have the best set-up. There won't be much advantage to lighter wheels, even considering the unsprung weight factor. Larger wheels often impede performance because of the extra weight and the changes to the suspension's geometry. To use them properly, you'd need to tweak the suspension to match the new wheels. Larger wheels also impede acceleration and braking - they're mainly an aesthetic add-on.

Nice wheels, good performance, and cheaper tires slant the equation to staying where you're at, especially since you're looking at $3.5k for a proper Tire/Wheel upgrade (including Mounting/balancing, but no suspension tweaks).

This flies in the face of many's reasoning to do an upgrade, so I assume some naysayers will join in, but listen to all sides and then make your decision - it's your car and your $$...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:12 AM   #3
boggtown

Larger wheels (I am reffering to wider) offer more traction and will help in cornering as well as acceleration and braking. The reason I got larger wheels is the look, the width, and the sidewall. A smaller sidewall will flex less than a larger one (unless you are a racing tire expert and know which ones have the stiffest sidealls), thus helping cornering. The "wheels with all the bolts" are either on there for looks, or for multi piece wheels. These wheels are usually forged and are lighter and stronger than cast wheels, By having 2 or 3 piece wheels you can take them apart and give it a longer lip, or a different center, not many people ever do this but the option is there if you are a pro racer.