986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Turn Signal Volume?? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/6957-turn-signal-volume.html)

mwh98 08-03-2006 11:00 AM

Turn Signal Volume??

Does anyone else end up driving several mile with their turn signal on, if they don't make a sharp turn? I'm thinking about entering the highway, using your turn signal, and since you don't make a sharp turn the lever does not reset it's self. I know this sounds stupid, cause I laugh at people on the highway that drive ten miles not knowing they have their signal on, until they go to get off on an exit and have to think about the last time they signaled. I have become that person in my Box. Damn!

With the top down in bright daylight, I can't see the faint green indicator light on the cluster very well, and the volume of the relay is rather low, so I don't hear it. With the top up, no problem. Does someone make a louder relay than the stock?

So I continue to drive with OCB constantly checking the dash for the little green light.

Mark Hudson
2001 Seal Grey

CJ_Boxster 08-03-2006 11:54 AM

thats weird, in other cars i rarely forget to turn off my turn signals but in my Boxster, i never ever forget, the green indicators seem like they are in my constant veiw most the time. i can hardly hear the relay clicking but i do notice it flashing even with the top down.

bmussatti 08-03-2006 12:04 PM

I don't know about the 986 model, but with the 987 model, if you just "tap" the turn signal, it will blink 3 times and turn off automatically. This is great for doing lane changes!

Rail26 08-03-2006 05:24 PM

mwh98...dude, are you um....how can I say this?...an older gentlemen? First sign of Alzheimers is "turn signal leave on-nage"

Bmus, I love the turn signals in the 987...tap blink blink blink.

mwh98 08-07-2006 07:22 PM

No,,,,,but I work with them!

Driving down down the road with my TS on makes me feel like a geriatric. I don't know, maybe I'm all caught up in the moment of driving a Porsche and overlook the obvious.

Mark

RandallNeighbour 08-08-2006 10:41 AM

What is this, true confessions?

OK, I do it all the time. I can't hear it clicking with the top down and the radio up. And the wind blowing across my balding head takes me to another dimension and frankly, I don't care if my blinker is still on.

There you have it. I'm a 44 year old guy with a 74 year old's mentality about ignored turn signals! But I do feel really stupid when I finally notice it and figure out that it's been blinking for ten minutes or more. :o

bigislandboxster 08-08-2006 01:25 PM

I didn't even know they made any noise!! ...and I'm not hard of hearing :p

mwh98 08-08-2006 01:57 PM

Thanks Randall!!!

I feel much better now, knowing I'm not alone out there!

The other thing I just noticed on my way to work today is that when the tach is reading about 2,800 RPM's, the green indicator on the cluster is partially by the orange needle, and thus harder to see when illuminated in the day light.

Mark

marsheng 03-17-2019 11:45 AM

indicator volume

This has been addressed before but no solution was forthcoming.

I have found myself on numerous occasions driving for miles with the blinkers on. Sometimes with a lane change, it does not automatically turn off. The only noise I hear is the relay and with the hood down and radio up, it is easy to not hear it.

Any one with a solution to make it louder ?

Racer Boy 03-17-2019 02:58 PM

Take the turn signal indicators that Mopars had in the '60s (the ones that mounted on the top of the fender), and mount them on top of the Boxster fenders. Wouldn't that look cool?

piper6909 03-17-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer Boy (Post 591173)
Take the turn signal indicators that Mopars had in the '60s (the ones that mounted on the top of the fender), and mount them on top of the Boxster fenders. Wouldn't that look cool?

HA!
I always loved those!

Ciao 03-17-2019 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti (Post 53928)
I don't know about the 986 model, but with the 987 model, if you just "tap" the turn signal, it will blink 3 times and turn off automatically. This is great for doing lane changes!

My Audi turn signals work the same way; i love that feature. I rarely use the turn signals on a full click to lock a turn.