986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Need Oil Change for Winterizing Drove < 700 mi (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/69386-need-oil-change-winterizing-drove-700-mi.html)

Ciao 10-09-2017 10:09 AM

Need Oil Change for Winterizing Drove < 700 mi

I didn't have time to drive more than 700 miles this summer. I started with clean oil change from winterizing.

Should I change the oil again before winterizing?

rick3000 10-09-2017 10:27 AM

It is highly recommended you change the oil immediately before storing the car for winter, especially if you did any racing or autocross. You need to change it annually anyway, regardless of mileage. :cheers:

tommy583 10-09-2017 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ciao (Post 551846)
I didn't have time to drive more than 700 miles this summer. I started with clean oil change from winterizing.

Should I change the oil again before winterizing?

WOW that's horrible!! I drove mine over 900 miles two weekends ago. I only managed to put on 450 miles this weekend. Oh and yes I would change the oil before you put it away for the winter.

boxfix 10-09-2017 12:16 PM

by the way a great source of the recommended Mobil 1 is Wal-Mart. I use 15w 50 here in so cal.

Wal-Mart has a special price of $22.00 for a 5 quart bottle. AND any order over $50 is FREE 2 day shipping. HOW CAN YOU BEAT THAT??!!!! and you can order the weight you want without going into the store to find out that they don't have the weight you want.

SUCH A DEAL!!

pomerlo 10-09-2017 12:41 PM

My school of thought on this... and this is only me... but I prefer to winterized with the old oil and replace the oil at spring just before intense service. To me it doesn't make any big difference if the engine sits with the old oil. Depends where you live but when you take the car out during spring you will end up with oil that has collected humidity all winter long.

Your pick

Ciao 10-10-2017 07:40 AM

Thanks guys!

Seems changing oil for winterizing is best option and easiest transition for spring. We already hit below freezing here in Colorado, but may have a few more mild days mid 70s low 60s before going consistently below 50

JOC IN IL 10-10-2017 01:29 PM

I changed my oil 3 weeks ago put on little over 300 miles. I don't need to change the oil for winter storage do i? I'm still going to drive when weather permits. I may have put on 500 miles before i put in storage.

How much gas should i have in the gas tank when i put in storage?

Is there anything else i should do to the car before i put in for storage?

Car will be parked in my garage and this is 1st time i will be storing car.

Thanks in advance for your input.................

Ciao 10-10-2017 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOC IN IL (Post 552027)
I changed my oil 3 weeks ago put on little over 300 miles. I don't need to change the oil for winter storage do i? I'm still going to drive when weather permits. I may have put on 500 miles before i put in storage.

How much gas should i have in the gas tank when i put in storage?

Is there anything else i should do to the car before i put in for storage?

Car will be parked in my garage and this is 1st time i will be storing car.

Thanks in advance for your input.................

Seems the Best Practice is to not drive after changing the oil for winter storage. Used oil in the engine turns acidic regardless of how low miles driven after changing. Other winter prep steps include: filling up the tank; air up the tires to 50 psi to prevent flat spots; put battery on battery maintainer; give the car a good wash and put cover on; I put chock blocks on front wheels and put gear in neutral and release the parking brake.

particlewave 10-10-2017 01:59 PM

After less than 700 miles? :eek:
I would leave it and just start the car every week or two, idling until warm. This is good for the battery, too. Roll it a bit to prevent tire flat spots.

Being in Colorado, I guess your winters are longer, but here in Missouri, the snow season is maybe 3-4 months long and winterizing is a complete waste of time and money. Until/unless the roads are salted, I keep driving it all winter.

We hardly ever get snow here anymore. :(

JOC IN IL 10-10-2017 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 552032)
After less than 700 miles? :eek:
I would leave it and just start the car every week or two, idling until warm. This is good for the battery, too. Roll it a bit to prevent tire flat spots.

Being in Colorado, I guess your winters are longer, but here in Missouri, the snow season is maybe 3-4 months long and winterizing is a complete waste of time and money. Until/unless the roads are salted, I keep driving it all winter.

We hardly ever get snow here anymore. :(

That's what i figure but had to ask. Should I pour fuel additive to keep fuel from so to speak spoiling? Car will be in storage for 3 months.

GTA_G20 10-10-2017 03:24 PM

Definitely wouldn't change the oil after 700miles

also wouldn't frequently start and stop the car without driving it over the winter

Shut it off with a full tank of gas. Plug it in and leave it alone till april

RobertKing 10-10-2017 09:26 PM

Why would you leave the car parked throughout winter? I only drive mine over the weekends or time off but, I'd certainly not leave her garaged for 3 or 4 months just because it's cold outside. I used to ride motorcycles in winter. Crisp air does wonders for the body.

rick3000 10-10-2017 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertKing (Post 552079)
Why would you leave the car parked throughout winter? I only drive mine over the weekends or time off but, I'd certainly not leave her garaged for 3 or 4 months just because it's cold outside. I used to ride motorcycles in winter. Crisp air does wonders for the body.

One reason would be because you do not have winter tires. Driving below 40° F on summer tires can be dangerous, one member here totaled his 986 doing this a few years ago.

Also for anyone looking for more info on prepping your 986 for storage, there is tons of info available via the search function. :cheers:

That986 10-10-2017 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTA_G20 (Post 552042)
Definitely wouldn't change the oil agter 700miles

also wouldn't frequently start and stop the car without driving it over the winter

Shut it off with a full tank of gas. Plug it in and leave it alone till april

Why would you leave a full tank of gas in the car when petrol has a finite life, that's just throwing money away?

As for the oil i'd leave it and do it in the spring. Seriously after 700 miles it's barely been used.

GTA_G20 10-11-2017 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That986 (Post 552082)
Why would you leave a full tank of gas in the car when petrol has a finite life, that's just throwing money away?

As for the oil i'd leave it and do it in the spring. Seriously after 700 miles it's barely been used.

Northern climates. Cold weather = condensation= water in your tank = corrosion and rust

Deserion 10-11-2017 04:47 AM

I'd definitely add fuel stabilizer (to negate ethanol) regardless of oil changing preferences. :o

pilut2 10-11-2017 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertKing (Post 552079)
Why would you leave the car parked throughout winter? I only drive mine over the weekends or time off but, I'd certainly not leave her garaged for 3 or 4 months just because it's cold outside.

Lol! Great question for someone who lives in California. Your cold and our cold in Northern climates are totally different things, our temperatures can be well below freezing for weeks or months. Up north we typically have snow tires on our vehicles from November to April and snow shovels and or snow blowers in our garages. The roads are sanded and salted or sprayed with calcium chloride or other solutions to prevent icing.

My Boxster is parked inside from just before the first snow, until the spring rains have washed the roads clean.

That986 10-11-2017 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTA_G20 (Post 552090)
Northern climates. Cold weather = condensation= water in your tank = corrosion and rust

Doubt it in a galvanised tank somehow.

Leave it with next to nothing in it and fill it up before the first drive in the spring. Otherwise you're driving round on stale fuel and that will do more damage than anything.

78F350 10-11-2017 08:30 AM

According to Porsche change the oil and fill the fuel tank. If you own the car, do whatever makes you happy. They aren't your boss.:cheers:
From the MY '03 owner's manual:
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1507739281.jpg

JOC IN IL 10-11-2017 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78F350 (Post 552118)
According to Porsche change the oil and fill the fuel tank. If you own the car, do whatever makes you happy. They aren't your boss.:cheers:
From the MY '03 owner's manual:
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1507739281.jpg

where can I get silica gel?