986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   First wave. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/69257-first-wave.html)

YellowS2000 10-01-2017 11:36 PM

First wave.

Can anyone remember their first wave or Thumbs up

Mine still makes me laugh when I think of it.

Id only had my 2000S of about a week, on my way to work a red 993 convertibe was coming the other way. He gave me coolest wave ever.... (911 guys have this down to a fine art)

me? I made the back of my hand 90 degree to my forearm, fingers fully spread open started to wave from side to side like moron lol. Try it its not cool lol.

We still wave or thumbs up now but id love to chat to him someday to ask what he thought lol.

RobertKing 10-01-2017 11:41 PM

Owning a Porsche is a lot like owning a motorcycle, it is a rare club. Welcome and enjoy your Porsche.

Jgkram 10-02-2017 06:28 AM

I get waves but mostly from other Boxster owners or older non-911 guys. Never had one from a 911 owner, new or old. Even I, a Boxster owner, think most of the 911 guys are jerks which unfortunately helps contribute to the negative persona some folks have of Porsche owners in general. My opinion is to keep waving even if you don't get it returned it might make someone's day, you never know...

Deserion 10-02-2017 06:34 AM

Usually I get 911's to wave back if I'm in the Boxster, except if they're the ditzy/clueless/dippety-do looking types.

PaulE 10-02-2017 06:59 AM

Here in the Northern NJ, metropolitan NY area there are 2 groups, some wavers and mostly non-wavers. My first wave was back in the dark ages of 1973 in my first car, a 1960 Austin-Healey bugeye Sprite.

YellowS2000 10-02-2017 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jgkram (Post 551155)
I get waves but mostly from other Boxster owners or older non-911 guys. Never had one from a 911 owner, new or old. Even I, a Boxster owner, think most of the 911 guys are jerks which unfortunately helps contribute to the negative persona some folks have of Porsche owners in general. My opinion is to keep waving even if you don't get it returned it might make someone's day, you never know...

Ye if its a Porsche Ill wave... unless its one of those big ugly off road things then I just cringe that we have the same badge on our bonnets lol.

911 guys should love Boxster... the bigger picture being that the boxster has been so profitable for the company it must have filtered up to development of new 911s somewhere along the line.

Frodo 10-02-2017 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YellowS2000 (Post 551145)

Id only had my 2000S of about a week, on my way to work a red 993 convertibe was coming the other way. He gave me coolest wave ever.... (911 guys have this down to a fine art)

I need to work on my wave :D
Describe for me this "coolest wave ever" please..

Finnegan 10-02-2017 12:38 PM

I wave to any Porsche sports car driver, but not those suv things or the station wagons.. I almost always get a wave back, except from the douchiest of the 911 drivers. Those guys usually have vanity plates that read something like ULOSE. lol. I figure they're just mad that my car handles better at a fraction of the cost.

Porsche9 10-02-2017 01:09 PM

I'm a 911 and Boxster driver and wave at all Porsche sports car.

san rensho 10-02-2017 03:05 PM

The only time a 911 owner waved (well shook his fist) was when we were slicing and dicing on the Miami Beach on ramp. I came up in back of him
He had a guards red convertible. He saw me in his rear view and it was on. He was walking away a little bit but made the mistake of going on the outside of a down hill right hander and had to lift. I went to the inside floored in 3rd near the redline and had enough momentum to get past him.

He was not happy.

thstone 10-02-2017 03:49 PM

Here in LA I see a LOT of Porsche's so its hard to wave at each one, but I always make eye contact and give a thumbs up from my 911SC.

One day, I had a guy in a 997 GT-3 pull up next to me at a traffic light, he rolled down the window and said, "Damn, I should have bought an air-cooled car!".

Same thing happened up in Silicon Valley last month when I see a 991 slicing through traffic from behind to catch up. At the traffic light, the female passenger rolls down the window and while pointing to the male driver, she says, "I told him to buy an air cooled car but he wouldn't listen!".

People generally crack me up! :D:D:D:D

Toppy986 10-02-2017 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YellowS2000 (Post 551145)
Can anyone remember their first wave or Thumbs up

Mine still makes me laugh when I think of it.

me? I made the back of my hand 90 degree to my forearm, fingers fully spread open started to wave from side to side like moron lol. Try it its not cool lol.

We still wave or thumbs up now but id love to chat to him someday to ask what he thought lol.

lol, I know your pain, on one of my first times out, I came up to another boxster owner at a stop sign, I waved like a little kid, the look I got as we crossed each other path, my wife still laughs at me when we see another Porsche, even though I have calmed down quite a bit.

911monty 10-02-2017 05:12 PM

Porsche wave???? I have been flashing my headlights at oncoming P cars since 1974. Doesn't even register with the SUV drivers though.

boxfix 10-02-2017 05:14 PM

You know I don't get a lot of Boxster guys waving at Boxster, but my 1973 911 gets lots of waves and attention.

YellowS2000 10-02-2017 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frodo (Post 551170)
I need to work on my wave :D
Describe for me this "coolest wave ever" please..

slight raise of the fingers a few inches off wheel is all that needed lol

Frodo 10-03-2017 05:08 AM

Smooth and subtle, eh? Gotcha.

grc0456 10-03-2017 05:15 AM

Can't remember my first wave, but I give it to all non-SUV and Panamera (gave up on them) Pcars. Mine is not subtle - top down I extend my left arm. Top up is just a raised palm. I find most return the wave, with the exception of the aforementioned douch-ey types of 911 drivers. Getting a wave always makes me feel good, especially if its from an air cooled car. I've even gotten my wife - a non-car person - to notice and point out Pcars [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk